Monster Hunter World

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Monster Hunter World

Post by OgreBattle »

Been playing MH since the PS2 release, having a blast in World.

Just finished the first major story arc with the volcano dragon, really enjoyed it. Going around collecting pets to fill my fancy living space with.

I like using the longsword, greatsword, and switchaxes, two handed bladed weapons speak to me. Gonna try out the insect glaive when I craft a proper Dragoon armor set with all the jump attack bonuses.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I REALLY need to get this game! I tried to get the ultimate edition, but apparently no place on the entire planet has it...
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I don't have a current gen console, so I'm waiting for a PC release while whining about Tri on my blog.

Question for people who've played more than one game in the series: Is it worth it to buy earlier installments? Monster Hunter's on PS2 and it's selling on Amazon for thirty bucks, which is reasonably cheap for a full-length game but way too expensive for a game that is basically the same as one I already own but with slightly fewer monsters, weapons, etc. etc. Is the setting or story of earlier Monster Hunter games meaningfully different from Tri (like, Tri has pretty minor amounts of worldbuilding and plot, but if other games have different locations and stories, that's still something to tide me over while I wait for World to release on PC), or is it like Dynasty Warriors, where one installment in the franchise is going to be the best available at any given time and you can ignore all of the rest?
Last edited by Chamomile on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Most Monster Hunter games are light on story, and follow the formula of hunt a monster, make cool weapons and sexy armor from it's skin, go hunt a tougher monster, and make cooler weapons and sexier armor, repeat ad infinitum. The most definitive game (besides World) would probably be Monster Hunter Generations, which has the easiest learning curve of any other entry, has a decent mix of locales to hunt in, a sizable monster list, and, of course, you get to play as a cat.

If you want an MH game with a story, then you should check out Monster Hunter Stories, because that is exactly what the game has (hence the name). It's a traditional turn-based JRPG rather than an action-hunting game, but it's pretty good, IMHO.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The other day I joined the session of Japanese adult video actress Sora Aoi. She was higher HR than me and fancy rathalos beta gear with gems.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

That's the worst thing about playing Monster Hunter in the US, is that it doesn't have the same level of popularity that it does in the East. I mean, I've owned Generations for over two years, and I've only gotten two Streetpass hits in that time. I literally only know one other person who owns the game (Darth), and that's because I got it for him so we could play together... And he hasn't touched the damn thing! And this is a game that is basically requires you to play multiplayer for the high-end quests.

... Could you and every other MH player you know move overseas to Boston? Especially Sora?
Half asleep upon my knee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

MHW’s sold over 7mil now

The PC release is gonna be big in china
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I'm loving this game, I've racked up like 150 hours since release. It is very much my late night jam. Anyone else playing it on PS4?

Also what're you all maining? I'm dual blades and I have a DEEP love for the Val Hazak regenerating armor. If you take an immunizer and recovery up you heal at 5X the normal rate and that pretty much lets you tangle with monsters non stop without having to pull back to heal. It's sick.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, like, are any of the Big Four monsters from Generations (Astalos, Gammoth, Mizutsune, and Glavenus) in the game?
Half asleep upon my knee
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Not yet. They're adding new monsters though. A few days ago they added Deviljho so I'm sure you'll see Generations monsters as time goes on.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Dean wrote:Not yet. They're adding new monsters though. A few days ago they added Deviljho so I'm sure you'll see Generations monsters as time goes on.
YEAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFw65Df7ozA

What lustrous gold
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I picked this up at release and have spent a shockingly small amount of time with it. I just don't think I'm the intended audience. I get really pissed off at not being able to continue attacking because of the weapon's sharpness draining, then my attacks bouncing off - though, in fairness, I have been using the Insect Glaive which has a lot of really fast, low-damage attacks while in the air, especially while attack buffed, and I spend 90% of the fight in the air because these monsters give zero fucks that you're attacking them (the other 10% is refreshing insect buffs). Maybe I should just try different weapons, but I have the issue with those that I had with the Souls series, in that I prefer being able to attack without waiting for ages for a slow wind-up and strike.

Had some decent fun with the Bow, though.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Sword and Shield is a good all-around weapon type, easy to combo and a very gentle learning curve. At least, it was in Generations.
Half asleep upon my knee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

RelentlessImp wrote:I picked this up at release and have spent a shockingly small amount of time with it. I just don't think I'm the intended audience. I get really pissed off at not being able to continue attacking because of the weapon's sharpness draining, then my attacks bouncing off - though, in fairness, I have been using the Insect Glaive which has a lot of really fast, low-damage attacks while in the air, especially while attack buffed, and I spend 90% of the fight in the air because these monsters give zero fucks that you're attacking them (the other 10% is refreshing insect buffs). Maybe I should just try different weapons, but I have the issue with those that I had with the Souls series, in that I prefer being able to attack without waiting for ages for a slow wind-up and strike.

Had some decent fun with the Bow, though.
Try sword and shield or twin swords, you have high mobility and satisfying combos

longsword has huge reach and quickness too
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Now I gotta play 400 hours of FFXIV before the MHW x FFXIV crossover hits so I'm ready to fight the Rathalos
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

man why did I start playing FFXIV when that sweet DRAGOON ARMOR n' LANCE added to MHW is everything I've wanted otu of FFXIV