The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Wrestling Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...that sounds like the kind of thing late era "We don't know how to do anything except waste money" WCW would have done.
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I couldn't tell you why they did it. Same city at the same time with two wildly different crowd capacities. I mean, yeah, I'm sure they made money, but the efficiently torture comment wasn't just me being a snarky asshole making fun of your average RAW. They ran segments from both locations so the live crowds spent a lot of time watching jumbotron feeds from the other venue instead of seeing people in person. The show drew a good rating but the live attendance feedback is no bueno.
Mask_De_H
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At least the second venue got Brother Nero and the OBSOLETE song.

That's...pretty much the only nice thing I can say about it.

Last edited by Mask_De_H on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's so weird that now live in a universe where I feel disappointed when things leave TNA for WWE.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't go that far. TNA are still a shit-tier product that doesn't seem to plan from one week to the next, existing only to prop up the yearly question of "Will they be going out of business and ending this year?" Okay, and serving as excursion ground for New Japan - I'm not saying they made Okada what he is, but he did go there to reinvent himself and such.

Speaking of, well done Kawato, graduating from a Young Lion and going to CMLL. He could very easily become a fan-favourite (arguably he'd have trouble being a heel - let's face it, Hiromu Takahashi is ostensibly a heel but he is beloved), and he was apparently picked as being very promising even some time ago. Which is unfortunate for him, because that means Suzuki ran him through a fair amount of training (ie "half an hour of getting put into painful holds doing catch-wrestling sparring").
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd go that far. TNA is shit but I don't think they've done anything worse than say, WWE's handling of Bayley. Admittedly though, I am a crazy person who enjoyed Broken Matt more than Bork-Goldberg.

Last edited by Whipstitch on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Overall I liked Broken Matt more than Bork-Goldberg, yes, though not the Dilapidated Boat match. And the Resident Evil 7 match between Wyatt and Orton was even worse (and showed how they weren't even trying to be original), which adds more support to your assertion.
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't even care anymore because there is a fucking official Rusev calendar. This is not a drill.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Excellent, it lists Rusev Day so you know when it is. You wouldn't want to miss Rusev Day.

Meanwhile, Suzuki vs Tanahashi was great... and horrifying. Tanahashi sold it really well (admittedly, with his bad knees on record, that might not have been 100% acting), and then with the referee stoppage at the end and him just lying motionless as a stretcher was fetched... wow. It's not like the matches beforehand were bad, they just knew how to end on a strong, memorable point.

Last edited by Koumei on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We all know that Minoru Suzuki's boot is this season's hottest accessory so the only real question is who wore it better, Goto or Tanahashi?
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am slightly in favour of how Goto wore it, but it's a close one there. It might be the accessory for all occasions, that matches any other clothing, and works regardless of body type.

Also I'd love to talk about how the Royal Rumble was actually quite good this year, and how apparently NXT Takeover was another good one (with people chanting for a "greasy chub" apparently!), except let's be honest: NJPW stole the show again, this time with just a single hug. GOLDEN LOVERS REUNITED!
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's excellent and there's no way I can see this whole set of circumstances going awry. Just think about it: even if they turn the Bullet Club into a gigantic clusterfuck of nWo red, white and fuchsia proportions that's still fine because the Young Bucks are there and that's basically their destiny/life goal.

Last edited by Whipstitch on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I knew that the guy who spent a few years teaching my mom, uncles and local police department karate in the '70s was named Sonny but I didn't know until today she meant it was this Sonny:

I feel betrayed.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's pretty awesome.

Also I hear that Strowman broke a double bass over the guitar-guy in guitar-guy fashion, on Rusev Day? WWE do get a point for that, but they're still competing against things like the Golden Lovers.
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, the Sonny revelation caused me to do some googling since apparently wikipedia and various interviews claim he was born in 1962. That doesn't map very well with what my mom told me or what the Mason City, Iowa newspaper says (which claims his family moved to Iowa when he was twelve and he graduated in '72 before moving to MN for a while after that). I guess the only real question now is do I take the word of a rasslin' manager or do I believe fake news and my own mother?
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When it comes to wrestling, always believe the version you want to believe.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei or whoever knows this type of thing,

I have a vague memory of Andre the Giant catching a wrestler that had jumped off the top ropes to tackle him. Did I make that up?

If not, when did that happen? Who was the opponent? I searched GOOGLE and YOUTUBE but got nothing.

Game On,
fbmf
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never seen anything like that, although that's not saying much given how much of Andre's career happened before my time.
erik
King

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fbmf... I found this:

http://www.wwe.com/classics/former-wwe-superstars-remember-andre-the-giant wrote:
WWE Hall of Famer "The Magnificent" Don Muraco

“I will never forget this. Back in Florida in the early 1970s, I teamed with Andre to face Dusty Rhodes and Ole Anderson. This was the first time that Andre and I teamed together, so as much as you want things to go well, you’re still not so sure if they will. During the match, Andre was on the floor hammering away at Dusty, while Ole and I were battling inside the ring. Ole then took me and proceeded to throw me out of the ring. I flew over the top rope and was headed for an ugly landing. But right there was Andre. He actually caught me in mid-air, and once he did, he threw me right back over the top rope and into the ring.

Couldn't find an image or video of Andre catching Don Muraco though. But seems like that's where to focus the search.
Stahlseele
King

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also, the Big Show and the big Khali and Mark Henry and the Undertaker and Kane and basically every other really big tough and strong rassler guy ever probably did something like that at some point.
I mean . . that is their big shtick (literally) after all . .
And you can't show toughness/strength of unbelieveable levels much better than doing something like that.
Which makes it all the more hilarious, when they then stagger to the ground after a lightweight highflier like rey mysterio jr. kicks them.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So NJPW Fallout Down Under (Adelaide) was awesome. I am well aware that we are a small town, but the wrestlers didn't treat it like one, they didn't phone it in as a house show.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cena is looking pretty decrepit. Dude should consider losing some bulk and see if that helps. FFS, NBA players routinely try to lose a pound or two per year past the age of 28 because otherwise a handicap match with Father Time and Gravity is too much even for LeBron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: