The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 241, 242, 243  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3553

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrapnel wrote:
Okay, so I recently got a Gundam model kit, because I like making models and Transformers aren't the only giant robots that I like. This model, however, had a part that is about a quarter the size of an atom and is translucent, and, because my life is soooo awesome, that part of course fell out of my fingers into the couch and disappeared into the ether. So, my question is: Is there some place I can go to order/buy individual parts of a model kit? I don't want to have to buy a second model just to replace one piece.


You can order replacement parts from Bandai Japan.

If you can read Japanese, and are willing to pay shipping from Japan.

https://www.wakuwakumono.com/order-gundam-replacement-parts-japan-step-step/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prak
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 16242

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can also try here- http://www.bluefincorp.com/catalog/replace
_________________
Dean, on Paranoia wrote:
The book is a hardbound liars paradox.


Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.


FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shrapnel
Prince


Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 2682
Location: That place where they all go "hoom"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Much appreciated, to you both.
_________________
"Keep Calm and Freak the Fuck Out"

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Prak
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 16242

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No worries.

Why are tontines illegal? Is it just because it's a form of gambling that isn't overseen?
_________________
Dean, on Paranoia wrote:
The book is a hardbound liars paradox.


Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.


FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deaddmwalking
Duke


Joined: 21 May 2012
Posts: 1727

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

According to Wikipedia:

Questionable practices by US life insurers in 1906 led to the Armstrong Investigation in the United States restricting some forms of tontines. Nevertheless, in March 2017, The New York Times reported that tontines were getting fresh consideration as a way for people to get steady retirement income.[3]

I'd guess that if you're a member of a tontine, you have an incentive to kill every other member could be considered an issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3553

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Prak wrote:
No worries.

Why are tontines illegal? Is it just because it's a form of gambling that isn't overseen?


It's not gambling. Gambling requires chance, there has to be some random factor to qualify as gambling. Death rates are non-random.

Yeah. The main reason is that it encourages beneficiaries to go Highlander on each other. The other reason is that, because the beneficiaries pay up front, it's very easy for the insurance company to just spend large sums of it on bullshit like expensive parties, banking on the hope that the investors will die quickly, and then delay payment if they don't.

Basically, a tontine is a really easy way for a fraudster to get a lot of money up front. It's also a shit investment.

There's also the fact that some people figured out how to game the system and started buying tontines on other people, mostly five-year-old girls, to maximize live expectancy.


Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whipstitch
Prince


Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 3044

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a really silly way to define gambling.
_________________
bears fall, everyone dies
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Josh_Kablack
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 5009
Location: Online. duh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So assuming I have somewhere from $50 to $250 to throw to worthy causes over the next few months: Which of the following donations is likely to be the most effective bang-for-my-buck at curbing the rise of US fascism:


  • The ACLU
  • Planned Parenthood
  • NRDC
  • Alt National Park Service
  • PA Governer Tom Wolf's re-election campaign
  • PA Senator Bob Casey's re-lection Campaign
  • Other, if so who?
  • Some spead-between the above

_________________
Johnson - Hanks 2020
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DSMatticus
Prince


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4969

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Josh Kablack wrote:
Which of the following donations is likely to be the most effective bang-for-my-buck at curbing the rise of US fascism:

Me.

I will buy videogames and play them.

That'll show 'em.

More seriously, do not donate to the ACLU. They have always been unwilling to make a distinction between free speech, hate speech, targeted harassment, and incitement to violence, and when the enemy is fascists marching in the streets chanting euphemisms for ethnic genocide the ACLU is simply not your friend. You are not the good guys when you defend the KKK's right to put their name on public property. You are furthering a campaign of harassment and intimidation targeted at minorities who will use that public property, and you can join the KKK rotting in hell. The ACLU is probably the most likely to stab you in the back with your donation of any group you'd actually consider, given the values I assume you hold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Omegonthesane
Duke


Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Posts: 2224

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd give 1/3 each to the two re-election campaigns, because those are the things that can turn the tide, then split the others according to your conscience (bearing in mind ACLU are allies of convenience at best so you'll be out of money before they're at the front of the queue before we get into whether or not they deserve a red cent).
_________________
Kaelik wrote:
Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.
FrankTrollman wrote:
As far as death and human misery goes, Tobacco is basically World War II grinding on forever with no real sign of stopping in our life times. Death camps and nuclear bombs and stuff are certainly dramatic, but public health crises are always and forever bigger than wars on the global scale.

FrankTrollman wrote:
White people are basically just horrible...The entire Reagan Revolution is just white people voting to destroy their own social safety nets because they'd rather fucking starve than let black people eat.



Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RobbyPants
Prince


Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 4589

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I donate monthly to Michigan Radio, which is my NPR station.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maj
Prince


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 4287
Location: Shelton, Washington, USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I'd donate to the Satanic Temple.
_________________
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too. Oh, hey! There's now a Minecraft Edition of GODzookery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3553

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

DSMatticus wrote:
Josh Kablack wrote:
Which of the following donations is likely to be the most effective bang-for-my-buck at curbing the rise of US fascism:

Me.

I will buy videogames and play them.

That'll show 'em.

More seriously, do not donate to the ACLU. They have always been unwilling to make a distinction between free speech, hate speech, targeted harassment, and incitement to violence, and when the enemy is fascists marching in the streets chanting euphemisms for ethnic genocide the ACLU is simply not your friend. You are not the good guys when you defend the KKK's right to put their name on public property. You are furthering a campaign of harassment and intimidation targeted at minorities who will use that public property, and you can join the KKK rotting in hell. The ACLU is probably the most likely to stab you in the back with your donation of any group you'd actually consider, given the values I assume you hold.


I have to disagree. The far right has consistently shown that they will use the tools that you give them.

Heck, Fake News started out as a complaint against 4Chan memes and Onion articles reprinted uncritically as serious journalism. And somehow Trump has transformed it into a shield against all criticism.

I don't want to give them actual hate speech laws, because they'll somehow twist them to imprison anyone who says that we shouldn't kill brown people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DSMatticus
Prince


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4969

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is, in fact, a world of difference between insane shit like letting the KKK buy advertising on government-owned, high-traffic public property, and putting people in prison for saying the n-word (instead of just collectively wagging our finger at them or whatever). There is, in fact, a world of difference between telling the Westboro Baptist Church that protesting at someone's funeral is targeted harassment of private individuals so they need to fuck off to somewhere else for their protest, and just banning protesting at all.

I am uncomfortable with a trend in certain parts of the left towards the distrust of free speech, but that trend is happening because fucking idiots who say things like... well, what you're saying... refuse to parse out any of the nuances and just declare that minorities have no right to not have their government publicly sanction groups that want to murder them, or not be hounded down and have obscenities shouted at them - because slippery slope! Except the slope isn't very fucking slippery, and Republicans are already attempting to chill protest mostly just by making it legal to run over protesters (in all but name).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3553

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

DSMatticus wrote:

I am uncomfortable with a trend in certain parts of the left towards the distrust of free speech, but that trend is happening because fucking idiots who say things like... well, what you're saying... refuse to parse out any of the nuances and just declare that minorities have no right to not have their government publicly sanction groups that want to murder them, or not be hounded down and have obscenities shouted at them - because slippery slope! Except the slope isn't very fucking slippery, and Republicans are already attempting to chill protest mostly just by making it legal to run over protesters (in all but name).


It isn't a slippery slope. It isn't a slope at all. It's a goddamn flat plane.

The government will use its powers against minorities. There's no if or maybe there. They will. They have in the past, they continue to do so today. The government will ignore crimes against minorities. They have in the past, they continue to do so.

Trusting the government to protect the rights of minorities is like trusting foxes to protect the rights of hens.

When Trump pushes his "both sides" narrative, do you think that means that he's going to enforce hate speech laws fairly and impartially? Because that's not what I'm getting from the "Both Sides" narrative, personally.

In 1968, Black Panther national treasurer Bobby Hutton was assassinated by the Oakland Police department.

It's 50 years later and we still don't live in a country where the police refrain from murdering black people who get too uppity. And we still don't live in a country where the police don't get away with it.

The KKK is a joke. The Westboro Baptist Church is a joke. They do horrible things, but they have no power. Even in the age of the internet their political influence is nonexistent.

The police, on the other hand, are not a joke. Trump isn't a joke, either, though he acts like one. These people people with real power who are capable is exercising that power in ways that do tremendous harm and who have shown illness to use that power against people who criticism them.


People who do things that the government agrees with don't get prosecuted. An alt-right friendly government is not going to use hate speech laws against the alt right, it just isn't. If it uses them at all it will use them to target people who disagree with them.

We already live in a world where police respond to left-wing protests with mass arrests. I'd rather not give them more ammo.


Last edited by hyzmarca on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 12148

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also, you know, 200 protesters and 2 journalists are still under arrest and on bail and/or in jail for protesting. And the state is trying to give them, including the journalists, 60 years in prison for being at an event where someone else broke windows.

Also Lauren Southern (a dumb right winger "journalist") was also rounded up with all those protesters and the other journalists, but she was released. Also she gave her footage to the prosecutors to help them convict.

Also, you know who else gave the prosecutor footage? Project Veritas! They had footage for the prosecutor from a planning meeting. You know what happened when the defense asked for unedited footage? Prosecutor said they don't have that!

BUT HEY GUYS, THERE ISN'T A RIGHT WING CONCERTED EFFORT TO JAIL PROTESTERS OR ANYTHING!

So.... let's complain about how manifestly nonacademic useless pieces of shit aren't given an infinite number of platforms to constantly shit on minorities and call for genocide.
_________________
The perfect analogy for capitalism is a teenage kid, who refuses to listen to his dad when he gives him a tip on solving a problem. And keeps optimizing how to rake the yard using the handle instead of the head.

DSMatticus wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Shrapnel
Prince


Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 2682
Location: That place where they all go "hoom"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, this is kinda random, but... Could a humanoid organism have a cartilaginous lining in it's esophagus? Like, would that be biologically feasible?

These kinda things seem so pressing when they wake you up at three in the morning.
_________________
"Keep Calm and Freak the Fuck Out"

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7616

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrapnel wrote:
So, this is kinda random, but... Could a humanoid organism have a cartilaginous lining in it's esophagus? Like, would that be biologically feasible?

Sure, but what would the purpose be?
_________________
"Now that we've determined that up to π angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine the specific number (or fraction) of angels dancing?"
"What if angels from another pin engage them in melee combat?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deaddmwalking
Duke


Joined: 21 May 2012
Posts: 1727

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Such a creature would not be able to use muscular action to move food up or down. Maybe a creature that swallows dangerous prey whole (Sarlac)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grek
Prince


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 2660

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrapnel wrote:
So, this is kinda random, but... Could a humanoid organism have a cartilaginous lining in it's esophagus? Like, would that be biologically feasible?

You already do.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

_________________
Quote:
But more importantly if you elevate jerkishness into a principle, if you try to undermine the rules that keep niceness, community, and civilization going, the defenses against social cancer then your movement will fracture, it will be hugely embarrassing, the atmosphere will become toxic, unpopular people will be thrown to the mob, everyone but the thickest-skinned will bow out, and the people you need to convince will view you with a mixture of terror and loathing.


Last edited by Grek on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erik
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 5010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

deaddmwalking wrote:
Such a creature would not be able to use muscular action to move food up or down. Maybe a creature that swallows dangerous prey whole (Sarlac)?


Or uses suction!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shrapnel
Prince


Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 2682
Location: That place where they all go "hoom"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:
So, this is kinda random, but... Could a humanoid organism have a cartilaginous lining in it's esophagus? Like, would that be biologically feasible?

Sure, but what would the purpose be?


Because it would be weird and alien. Like I said, this popped into my head at 3am, and that early in the day you don't really think about silly things like "yeah but why?".

deaddmwalking wrote:
Such a creature would not be able to use muscular action to move food up or down. Maybe a creature that swallows dangerous prey whole (Sarlac)?


Hm. So would it always need the mouth open, a la sarlacc or basking shark, or could it be more like a snake, with a mouth that closes and can unhinge to swallow things?
_________________
"Keep Calm and Freak the Fuck Out"

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Prak
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 16242

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hypothetically, the creature could also just manually push the food down it's throat, though this would work best if it had some manner of breathing that doesn't involve the esophagus.
_________________
Dean, on Paranoia wrote:
The book is a hardbound liars paradox.


Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.


FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman


Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 121

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seems very impractical. Given that food is often not just liquids and could get lodged in there, you want to be able to apply flexible pressure to move it. Plus the fact that a muscular tube can move stuff in *both* directions fairly well for when you need to vomit.

Compare and contrast the larynx and trachea (which Greks picture actually shows - the esophagus is behind that and has no cartilage). The chief objective of the airway is that it shouldn't collapse, so it's lined with cartilage. For generating force, the lungs rely on negative pressure when the diaphragm contracts; the lungs themselves are elastic and collapse with normal pressure. I'm no engineer, but I don't think that would work very well for the digestive system that needs to handle a lot more volume than the lungs. Muscle is the way to go.

You could have cartilage plates and muscle, but that would take space and limit motility - maybe if that species eats a lot of stuff that could pierce their internal organs before it's digested, but they'd be more prone to having larger meals stuck in their throats.


Last edited by Nachtigallerator on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koumei
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 12879
Location: South Ausfailia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrapnel wrote:
a snake, with a mouth that closes and can unhinge to swallow things?


Not that relevant to your point, but snakes can't unhinge or dislocate their jaws. They just have a different jaw mechanism to us, such that it's basically an elastic joint that stretches and bends really far naturally without needing to unhinge. The trade-off is that the bits involved spread across further and so there isn't room for ear development so they can't hear as well.

Or in other words, the trade-off for us being easily pissed off by loud noises is that we can't swallow cakes whole. DAMN YOU EVOLUTION!
_________________
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 242 of 243

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group