[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

-This space intentionally left blank
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Yeah, and those are battery storage because industrial-scale battery prices are falling rather fast now, in every open market country. Like in Oz the federal govt. had to put special taxes on the solar and wind plants and directly pay the money from it to the coal plants just to keep them open, few years ago now.

Despite coal prices collapsing, buying coal to make into electricity is no longer economic without special legal protection and state subsidies, because it costs about the same or less to build solar (and vastly less to build wind) and their running costs are many orders of magnitude lower. It's been that way a fair while, but a lot of the markets are fairly well captured by incumbents with their old coal plants.

Anyway, the storage costs are coming down now that it's needed, because the new power going in is all renewable and the coal plants are closing all over. There's a lot of cheaper battery designs that Lithium-ion too when you don't care about weight, but I'm not sure how many of them will get production ramped up for the coming demand.

It may be the concentrators never catch the photovoltaic plus battery setups now, the growth in the industries is crazy and economy of scale is happening.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7eb1DHZ9GQ
Well then . . 50/50 odds of surviving and deleting enough humans to save the species and certain doom on the other side?
Disregarding the possibilities of throwing earth out of orbit and simply shattering the crust.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Stahlseele wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7eb1DHZ9GQ
Well then . . 50/50 odds of surviving and deleting enough humans to save the species and certain doom on the other side?
Disregarding the possibilities of throwing earth out of orbit and simply shattering the crust.
If YouTube recommends the stupid nonscience shit to me now I’m holding you personally responsible (maybe replacing domino and Minecraft video recommendations courtesy of my children)

This is how I get ufo crap in my google news feed.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i regret nothing! :P *snickers*
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Ursula K Leguin died Jan 22 :(
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

https://www.cnet.com/news/elon-musks-fl ... -just-500/

Only in Fucking America . .
The kids love this shit . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

This is really depressing:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/regio ... 1801290091

Not the numbers nor the scope of the problem -- I knew all that already. What's depressing is how disorganized and bad at communication the folks calling the shots around that exhibit seemed to be over the weekend.

• If your exhibit is going to travel around the country, you should probably rethink the time ratio between a 3-day buildout to a only 4.5 day period open to the public before teardown begins.
  • Installing an exhibit about the dangers of addiction to painkillers should probably not result in multiple workers requiring medical treatment for their injuries. (I do not know if either injury resulted in a new opiate prescription, but the cynic I me wants to speculate that they did)
  • Maybe you should know where the next stop on your exhibit's tour is in more detail than "Ohio".
  • I would like to know how Chris Burden's feels about your knockoff of "The Reason for the Neutron Bomb" in your installation piece illustrating large numbers.
  • I'm also truly impressed at how all the carvings representing the faces of the victims are chalk white against a black background. It's like nobody involved realized the pre-existing subtext of the difference in media response between the opioid epidemic of the teens and the crack epidemic of the 80s.
tl;dr: The people in charge are incapable of fixing the problem.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

The anti-opioid people have to rely on feels before reals, due to being completely empty-handed on the question of how to treat debilitating chronic pain.

There's also the issue of doctors underprescribing opioids, which forces patients to supplement their prescriptions with illegal sources, or else puts them through a roller-coaster of agony and relief, neither of which is really helpful for avoiding overdose.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

hyzmarca wrote:The anti-opioid people have to rely on feels before reals, due to being completely empty-handed on the question of how to treat debilitating chronic pain.
Don't be silly, there's both cocaine and large quantities of alcohol as options, and it's a well-known fact that these have never caused problems.

(There is of course always research into alternative forms of useful pain relief, last I checked people were looking into cane toads as a solution and China even wanted to import them from Australia. And importing cane toads has never gone badly for anyone.)
There's also the issue of doctors underprescribing opioids, which forces patients to supplement their prescriptions with illegal sources, or else puts them through a roller-coaster of agony and relief, neither of which is really helpful for avoiding overdose.
Starting tomorrow, any level of codeine requires a prescription in Australia, whereas you previously used to be able to buy 40-packs of 15mg codeine/500mg paracetamol over the counter at pharmacies (giving name and address in a generally-not-backed-up-by-ID way and with the pharmacist able to ask what it's for and deny it if they think something is up). People in my quiet "mostly old age pensioners" town have already been emptying pharmacies out to stock up ahead of time (and are probably going to be visiting doctors even more than already because they refuse to do the polite thing and just die already).

With any luck this will cost the government a lot of money in bulk-billing (and the fact that prescribed medication is cheaper than non-prescribed for anyone on any kind of income support such as the elderly and unemployed). Also it totally won't result in people just growing their own opium.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/marcusjones/pe ... .xb9RoMyZZ

I don't think this has been posted yet, apologies if I've overlooked it somewhere else.

Lost in court against someone rich and famous and powerful, and his career still is going strong.
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Old Spice got in on the D&D thing...

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/02/09/ ... followers/
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You can argue whether this is politics or not, but it's not about *politicians* so I'll put it here: UK right-wing rag The Sun not so good at reading comprehension.

And I would have thought the author of the article really would be able to relate to a brain-damaged child in the body of a man.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Ok, yeah, it's probably that they didn't read the book and just watched derivative movies...but part of me wonders if they've decided on the sort of moral the book ought to be pushing.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I still can't believe that this is not a satirical article.

Now, I don't agree that the book is about the Monster being misunderstood. I see it as being about Frankenstein not taking responsibility for his actions and running away. And it's not like the Monster is totally innocent - he goes on murderous rampages in the book. But still, what that article was insane.
Last edited by Longes on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Extremely punchable Martin Shkreli sentenced to 7 years in prison for fraud. In addition, he has to forfeit $7.4 million and his unique Wu Tang album. His usual smug demeanor cracked during sentencing, and he broke down crying, apologizing to investors for losing their trust.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Find it funny they single out the Wu Tang album.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Well, I have been told they ain't nothing to fuck with.
bears fall, everyone dies
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

They also singled out his Picasso. Basically, they forced the forfeiture of specific cultural artifacts rather than levying a monetary fine.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Not that I necessarily disagree, but that may be the first time a Wu Tang Clan album was (implicitly) referred to as a "cultural artifact"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Somebody storms youtube's HQ shooting like crazy, luckily the only one they managed to kill was themselves.

So who wants to bet this was because of youtube's recent crackdown on gun videos?
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

maglag wrote:So who wants to bet this was because of youtube's recent crackdown on gun videos?
I wouldn't bet against that because I would lose my money. I also wouldn't bet on it because the returns would not be worth it.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

According to some tech news sites i read it was not because of that.
Her Youtube account had been deleted because of $reasons weeks/months ago.
And she had seen google/youtube as one of the fascist dictatorships controlling her every life.
And she appearantly wanted to kill an ex-boyfriend who appearantly works for youtube there.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

One thing to remember about shootings is that the instant they happen the rightwing, with the help of Russian government-sponsored trolls, are going to fill the air with bullshit. They are going to make fake social media accounts and fake screenshots and they are going to share them and plaster them everywhere. Their goals are to spin an early narrative that furthers their propaganda campaign and causes as much confusion in the initial investigation and subsequent reporting as possible, so that people simply distrust everything and instead of trying to stay up to date they just believe whatever they want.

This has happened for every major shooting of the past few years, and it's not going to stop. We have gone past egregiously biased reporting, past "freedom is slavery" doublethink, past lying to the brainwashed base, and taken the Orwellian nightmare to its logical conclusion; the functional death of all truth. The game now is for the truth to become an unknowable quantity for everyone, not just for the people inside the rightwing echo chamber; scream fake news at everyone while manufacturing fake news.

So the correct answer here is it's been less than 24 hours and almost anything we think we know could still plausibly turn out to be someone's fake that briefly caught out an investigator or a journalist. Police are likely still sorting through social media to identify legitimate and fake accounts. And this is the new rule for everything that the rightwing might take an interest in; you don't actually know anything about it until the dust is settled.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

DSMatticus wrote:This has happened for every major shooting of the past few years, and it's not going to stop. We have gone past egregiously biased reporting, past "freedom is slavery" doublethink, past lying to the brainwashed base, and taken the Orwellian nightmare to its logical conclusion; the functional death of all truth. The game now is for the truth to become an unknowable quantity for everyone, not just for the people inside the rightwing echo chamber; scream fake news at everyone while manufacturing fake news.
Which might work for a day or maybe a week, but the truth will eventually come out to anyone who wants it. Now, absolutely they are trying that, but it's only going to really work on those who want to be lied to.