Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

josephbt wrote:Damn, that was so freudian. Yeah, i ment SS2. I played Bioshock recently and the game stuck in my mind. Too many paralels.
Yar, I've heard that SS2 is great for ages. The lastest rash of Bioshock is a weak version of SS2 is what got me to finally get a copy of SS2.

Portal seconded.

And add AvP2 to the list.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

AvP2?? It can't capture the claustrophobia of AvP1 while playing marine, nor the alieness of the alien nor the sheer power of the predator. Get the Gold Edition, it comes with a really badass soundtrack.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

I've of the considered opinion that portal is probably the best computer game ever.

My brother gets severe motion sickness when playing 75 degree FOV games like HL2 and portal, and despite that, still finished portal (in 20 minute 'chunk's with breaks the sofa until he turned less green) I think that level of dedication just goes to say that portal is grate.

As for my normal preferences, I've never really owned a console so I've mostly played multiplayer FPS games, and single player strategy games (and multiplayer)

Broke several keyboards playing doom2 over a serial link cable, and got a dialup modem and quake at about the same time. i've never actually been very GOOD at FPS games, but I'm part of a not completely shit TF2 clan at this junction.

Teamfortress 2 is great, as is CoD4

strategy game wise, all time favourites are MOO, and a series of VERY realistic WEGO games called 'combat mission' (the new modern war one sucks) - the WWII ones are superb simulations of WWII combat and historical tactics are work pretty damn well.

They are great, and I love them despite some shitty graphics and occasional clunkyness

A great game for all those MOO adicts out there is 'Sins of a Solar Empire'

it's like MOO2 and homeworld had a child - aside from the AI being form the school of retard mcSpackypants unless on the hardest difficulty mode with all the patches applied, it's quite good.

I also enjoy the command and conqueror games, dune, warcraft 2, starcraft blahblahblah (used to play them with my uni friends, sort of all the time.)

I also like slower games like Hearts of Iron 2, which is a great WWII strategic level simulation.

Oh, and I love guitar hero, so much that I brought my own guitar despite not owning a console (though I did use it with GH3 on the PC when that came out)

I've also just moved into a guy who has a PS2 Xbox and XBox360 and wii, like, two days ago, so I've just started playing no more heros, which is kinda fun.
Last edited by cthulhu on Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

A great game for all those MOO adicts out there is 'Sins of a Solar Empire'
I'm really going to have to ask again, have the MOO and Space Empires folks tried Sword Of The Stars? I found it to be an impressive reimagining of the genre.

Sadly like sins of a solar empire (at least for now), and ever second remotely strategy type game it is and always has been mostly or entirely unavailable on this continent. (though Sins of A Solar Empire I think is going to be one of the exceptions, eventually, it might even just barely be out this week).

It's like the Warlords franchise has a strong border of 4th level cities full of powerful flying stacks patrolling against any potential competition.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Not related at all to the previous posts, but...

I remembered that the college has a "Video Gamers' Alliance," and decided to check out a meeting over the weekend.

It's basically the Halo club. Populated by Halo fanboys.

Don't get me wrong. Halo's a blast in multiplayer, and they managed a lot of funny/awesome kills. It wasn't bad to watch. But the people were just jerks, and, furthermore, they were monopolizing the good big screen TV and leaving other people to rotate the use of this TV with fucked-up color. And I swear they only played on the same two maps.

And I remembered other experiences with Halo fanboys, and got inspired to make this:
Last edited by Maxus on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Populated by Halo fanboys.
I'll boil my complex seething hatred down to this.

Fuck Halo.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'll drink to that. Fuck Halo and the dorito-stained kegger-throwing college students who play it.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Hey. I don't throw keggers.
Oh shit....
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Metroid 2 on GB and Super Metroid on SNES used to be really cool. I've been meaning to get an emulator and play the newer ones.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Is it too late to say Fuck halo? Because I agree.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Well, I was sorta picturing the person to be playing Metroid Prime.

(Which, on the side, I have to say has amazing use of atmosphere and really sets the player up for a nasty--but fun--surprise once you get past the early parts of the game where you're recovering the basics of your gear.)

And the Halo fanboys have a view that goes, "I'll hate any game that isn't like Halo and I'll hate every game that bears a resemblance to Halo because they're ripping Halo off."

So while I can have fun on the game, or even watching some decently skilled people play it, I can heartily go, "Fuck the fanboys".
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I don't even like the game, what with it being shite compared to a computer FPS (and not only due to "keyboard and mouse" > "control pad" if you don't have auto-aim ala Tomb Raider), combined with a general lack of interest for FPS games that aren't called "Doom II".

Metroid actually features one of the greatest surprises in all of video gaming:

1. Discovering that Samus is female.
2. Discovering that Bridget isn't.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

You forgot:

3. Discovering that the cake was not, in fact, a lie.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

...Yeah, I had an argument with a Halo guy on whether they program on Macs or PCs.

The answer is, of course, Macs.

-Crissa

I loved Metroid 2 so much I'd plug my Game Boy into the stereo while I played and blast out the rad multi-channel audio.
Last edited by Crissa on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:Is it too late to say Fuck halo? Because I agree.
Preach on brother!
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

The Doom series has taken, quite literally, years out of my life.

And Trent Reznor was once quoted in an interview saying something about how he could have completed a few whole albums in the time he's spent playing Doom.
(but hey, he ended up doing sound design for Quake and a hidden "NIN" logo in the first map of Doom:SE, so maybe he got his just rewards after all!)
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I liked Halo. When it was slated for the PC.

Then the xbox came along and shot that into the ground.

FPS' do not belong on Consoles.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Judging__Eagle wrote:FPS' do not belong on Consoles.
I disagree. FPS such as TimeSplitters and Battlefront are awesome with even something as simple as a PS2.
Maybe if you're an only child or you live alone a PC is always superior, but playing online is not the most fun for everyone.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I hate playing online, because everyone is always better than me.
SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:I hate playing online, because everyone is always better than me.
You can post coherent sentences. That alone marks you as significantly more intelligent than millions of online gamers.

Here is some advice from what I've learned:
1. Find your game. I like playing a variety of games, most of which I am unimpressive with. The games I am adept with, however, I spend more time online playing with others.
2. Pick your time. If you play on a server at 3 am on a Tuesday morning, you are probably going to be up against hardcore players. If you play at 3 pm on a Saturday, when all the noobs come out to play, you will fare much better.
3. Do a little research. If you spend an hour or two familiarizing yourself with game physics and patch changes, you will have a significant advantage.
4. Practice. If you only play once in a great while, and have no aptitude, don't complain that its no fun and you suck. If that is your choice, pick a game which automatically chooses a competitive (suck) opponent for you.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

When Halo came out and everyone loved it because it was a decent console FPS, I was really confused. I played Unreal Tournament back then, and thought it was an infinitely better FPS than Halo could ever be. I didn't understand how bad the console genre had it.

On another note, I'm attending a Smash tournament in Rochester on saturday.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Surgo wrote:
On another note, I'm attending a Smash tournament in Rochester on saturday.
Brawl was a disappointment for me, actually. I'd expected it to have more of a fun value. Instead, the gameplay's been slowed down and it lacks the feeling of franticness that Melee had.

On the other hand, it's got better stages. They make things like Brinstar Depths look tame.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Yes, I feel it's a much worse competitive game than Melee was.

edit: Brawl does not have better stages. Like a full half of them aren't competitively viable. Compare that to like 5 or 6 that got banned in Melee.
Last edited by Surgo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:I hate playing online, because everyone is always better than me.
Short answer: Practice

Long answer:

You might want to try what I did when I was trying to improve my ability to play Dawn of War online.

I really didn't have a lot of opportunity to play games online from start to finish when I first had the game, and I was sure that I'd always get my ass handed to me; but what I did have a lot of time to play skirmish matches that I could save and finish later.

So what I did was play a lot on the hard difficulty mode (the 2nd hardest mode; DoW has 5 modes of difficulty, Easy, Normal, Difficult, Hard, Insane; insane isn't really that much harder, the AI just gets a lot more resources).

When I was able to not get my ass handed to me immediately by the AI, and I was able to reliabely fight and beat the AIs for the different factions and use different factions myself I played a few games online.

Since I had to be on the ball from the start to even have a chance against the AI, I was able to move quickly and effectively enough against human players that usually were a lot sloppier at the game (noobs and mediocre players for the most part) and against players that had more practice I was able to hold my own long enough to allow my ability to use 'cheap' or 'devious' tactics that would let me eventually win.

Playing other games against AI's that are as hard a difficulty as possible for you to take on will help when playing against other players. AI play is not the same as against a human, but it will help and your pride will remain relatively unbruised. Also, some people can really suck compared to AIs (that happened a lot in DoW, mostly b/c people would face easy or normal AIs and would play the game in a very sloppy and slow manner). So when you're able to compete against dangerous AIs, you might beat humans just because you've built up practice with the manner in which you have developed your typical approach to certain game maps, or how to use certain weapons or how to use a specific army type.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Don't take the AI practice suggestion in Smash or any other fighting game. It will make you worse.