DenizenKane
Journeyman

3.5e Feats and Races

Post by DenizenKane »

Google Docs Links:

Tome of Incredible Feats

and

Tome of Fantastic Races

They go together as sort of a fix to races and feats. The skill bonuses on the races are based on Kaelik's Skill Groups.

Definitely a WIP, but any feedback is appreciated, trying to get this more complete so it can be used in higher level play. Any suggestions for feats would be greatly appreciated.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Off-hand, I would think letting people pick their +2/+2 stats to any two, opposed to limiting them for other non-human races would be better. That way people be their Ogre Wizards or whatever. Also having Races in "Feat" Packages makes it harder for me to know what they can do at a glance. As now I have to look up each and every feat for that race which would be a frustrating to flip back and forth (I know said feats also missing, but it's a WIP so tis forgiven there).

Might be better to call "Feat Levels", Feat Tiers or something, so to have less terminology mix-up. I don't really have any feat suggestions at the moment, seems like taking [Tome] Feats apart in part for them, and spells of course.

Speaking of, Flight Magic Feat seems stupid good, as now you can fly forever at 120ft easy (combined w/Super Speed Feat).
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I think tying a +2 to race and letting the other +2 be open would be enough to keep up fantasy tolkien racial expectations.

The racial bonus to skills is also quite a lot to remember. Five feats to begin with is also more stuff to learn and keep track of immediately. I'd prefer feats to be small in number for specialization or oddity and just have versatility baked into the system.

For me one feat a level and perhaps a bonus feat at level 1 is a nice number.

Some of the feats also seem mandatory, like why wouldn't every melee warrior take pounce+flurry? Why wouldn't an archer take rapid shot?
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I haven't seen this version of Rapid Shot, but Frank & K(ieth) both specifically said that any sort of "Rapid Shot" feat is "bad" for D&D, and that's why they didn't include it in Races of War's [Combat] feats.

Now, historically (& internationally) holding multiple arrows in the draw-hand, and firing anywhere from 3-10 arrows in ~10 seconds was a thing humans have done in the past; and have demonstrated contemporarily in the 21st century.

However, translating that fact into discrete attacks in the d20 attack roll mechanics will actually totally fuck up the flow of gameplay in combat.

Also, Swashbuckling's mechanics are the antithesis of actual Swashbuckling; the off-hand should have a buckler, possibly a light weapon. Unless you're intending to emulate Hollywood one-handed sword fighting, instead of historical swashbuckling.

Also, there's a heck of a lot of front-loading of abilities. More supernatural options like being able to Enlarge/Reduce Self, Waterbreathing, Disguise Self, Extra Arms, Extra Legs, &etc. should probably come online around level 5-6, when PCs are leaving the realm of mortal limitations. Not around level 1-2 when they're merely head-and-shoulders above the average NPC.

The approach towards Races isn't bad, and makes many of the 1st level Feats make a bit more sense. Instead of each Race's entry having a bunch of ad hoc powers, you gave them picks from the list of standardized Feats you've created.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
DenizenKane
Journeyman

Post by DenizenKane »

So, instead of Rapidshot, how about something like this:

Volley [Combat]: As a full-round attack action, you can fire a ranged attack at a number of targets equal to your base attack bonus + 2. Each target can only be targeted by one attack, and all targets must fit within a cone originating from you. Roll once and compare to each AC individually.

Takes less time, creates AoEs from ranged weapons without creating too much single target damage. Its like a ranged whirlwind.

---

Race balance always seems inconsistent to me, and I'm not sure where the right balance is.

It needs to have enough features to give the race a reason to exist, and be able to convey information. But, it can't be too much where the player gets confused and can't remember it.

I think the right balance might be like, +2 to two stats (non-humans have a static stat bonus with one that the player chooses), 3 race abilities (level 1 feats?), +2 racial bonus to 5 skills, a +2 racial bonus to a save.

---

Also considering taking the rework a step further and giving 2 bonus racial HD to level 1 PCs. This might just be HP, but may provide the saves or BAB to boost up the early game and make it playable.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

You're still rolling multiple attacks, so that's still not good. Either have a single attack roll (like the Whirlwind [Combat] feat uses) applied to the AC of all applicable targets; or force everyone in the area of effect to make a Reflex save based off of your ranged attack bonus.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
DenizenKane
Journeyman

Post by DenizenKane »

The ability did say to roll once, has the same wording as the whirlwind in Races of War. :cool:
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Honestly I really do like the idea. In retrospect splitting the feats up into a lot of small things rather than a few big things (but when put together has about the same power) and giving out a lot of them is a good way to go.