[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Update on the ritual murder situation:

one of the prominent Russian newspapers published an opinion piece in which the Jewish author, a celebrated journo and Putin propagandist, quotes some historical Jewish-ritual-murder propaganda, describes what happened to its authors (got hanged at the Hague) and concludes with "perhaps we haven't hanged enough of them". So Putin's backpedaling hard.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

This is both US and non-US, but the fallout will be felt outside of the US. Trump officially said the US will recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital and begin the process of moving the US embassy. Trump does not appear concerned about potentially derailing the peace efforts between Israel and Palestine.

That being said, I've never understood what the benefit of this is to Trump, unless it's just more anti-Islam rhetoric.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

There are a lot of Christians that believe they should do what they can to bring on the end of the world (second coming of Christ). A lot of them believe that starting a war between Israelis and Arabs is the way to make it happen. This is a concession to the religious right that want to hasten the end times.
-This space intentionally left blank
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Is he going to stop hinting at a war with NK now? Only one at a time, right?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

deaddmwalking wrote:There are a lot of Christians that believe they should do what they can to bring on the end of the world (second coming of Christ). A lot of them believe that starting a war between Israelis and Arabs is the way to make it happen. This is a concession to the religious right that want to hasten the end times.
I wish these assholes would leave us out of their procrastinating death cult.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

RobbyPants wrote:This is both US and non-US, but the fallout will be felt outside of the US. Trump officially said the US will recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital and begin the process of moving the US embassy. Trump does not appear concerned about potentially derailing the peace efforts between Israel and Palestine.

That being said, I've never understood what the benefit of this is to Trump, unless it's just more anti-Islam rhetoric.
I'm honestly thinking money or business deals. The anti-Islam rhetoric was vaguely absent, which made the 'why?' all the more demanding.

The discussion around it is blathering a lot about campaign promises and 'America First,' but this does shit for America beyond threatening Americans abroad, and most of the ignorant fucks that supported Trump don't give two shits about Israel (and more than a few are staunchly anti-semite anyway). So the only logical conclusion is he somehow personally benefits.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

That shed articles reminds me of a similar fake-business thing that happened in 2015: https://splinternews.com/i-created-a-fa ... 1793850918
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Ah, Japan:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42275875

Apparently some folks were feeling traditional and decided to basically re-enact a plot from a Edo era murder story. except for real. It's got it all: roadside ambush, the driver stumbling off wounded, inheritance at stake, even murder-suicide when the plans go awry (though since it is Japan, the suicide may have been planned).
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

In other news:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42510868
Germany starts enforcing hate speech law

First to get a twitter ban is a right wing politician.
Second is a left wing satire magazine.
And suddenly, all of the press is in an outrage over a law everybody was screaming about being needed to deal with online hatespeech . .
Because no, of course it would never apply to them and theirs on that side of the political spectrum, right?
Fucking moronic [EDITED].
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Stahlseele wrote:In other news:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42510868
Germany starts enforcing hate speech law

First to get a twitter ban is a right wing politician.
Second is a left wing satire magazine.
And suddenly, all of the press is in an outrage over a law everybody was screaming about being needed to deal with online hatespeech . .
Because no, of course it would never apply to them and theirs on that side of the political spectrum, right?
Fucking moronic [EDITED].
NEXT: The Onion banned from Germany for libel
https://politics.theonion.com/paul-ryan ... 1821475569
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Looking at the name there, I assumed it was going to be a cryptocurrency based on J-pop idols. And that is possibly a crypto that would have staying power. Simply because some of them have insane fans that will force a high value, even at actual cost to themselves. (See: AKB48, where people buy crate-loads of CDs and throw them out, just to improve chances of getting to meet them and shake their hand.)

Actually, had I more technical competency and fewer scruples I'd be setting AKB48coin up right now as a short-term investment to sell off as soon as it starts getting value, touting "the value just keeps rising because of the magic of insane fan power".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Two employees in a Russian nuclear research facility put a supercomputer online and tried to mine crypto with it.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Starmaker wrote:Two employees in a Russian nuclear research facility put a supercomputer online and tried to mine crypto with it.
I'll won't be surprised if the first killer app for quantum computers happens to be a better mining software
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Poland apparently made it illegal to say that Auschwitz was located in Poland, punishable by up to three years in prison.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

nockermensch wrote:
Starmaker wrote:Two employees in a Russian nuclear research facility put a supercomputer online and tried to mine crypto with it.
I'll won't be surprised if the first killer app for quantum computers happens to be a better mining software
Hackers gained access to the Australian government's web server and used it for crypto-mining.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

hyzmarca wrote:Poland apparently made it illegal to say that Auschwitz was located in Poland, punishable by up to three years in prison.
Yeah...that. Just...don't do that.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

hyzmarca wrote:Poland apparently made it illegal to say that Auschwitz was located in Poland, punishable by up to three years in prison.
Fake news.
Calling it a "Polish eradication center" is punishable by up to 3 years of Jail.
Because it was not polish. It was german. We had "annexed" our prussian lands by then after all.

Compare to calling the american concentration camps for unwanted people like the japanese in world war 2.
You would not call those japanese concentration camps, right?
Last edited by Stahlseele on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

If the goal is to distinguish yourselves from Nazis, handing out jail time for poor grammar seems counterproductive.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote: You would not call those japanese concentration camps, right?
We call them Japanese internment camps, actually.

Because they were camps for the internment of Japanese. The English language allows the noun being acted on to come before the verb when using them as an adjective phrase.

Some nice Polish people pointed me to an article that includes an interview with Auschwitz survivor Judith Rosenzweig, who said that there were Polish guards at the camp. They explained that the law was necessary to protect Poland from "lying Jews" like her.

It's specifically meant to persecute holocaust survivors who report that there were Polish collaborators.

The only two groups of people I can find who are actually supporting the law are Germans and Anti-Semites.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:If the goal is to distinguish yourselves from Nazis, handing out jail time for poor grammar seems counterproductive.
It's not poor grammar, it's lying about who is responsible for the holocaust and making it sound like the victims were the perpetrators. That is bad. That is literally the same thing that Germany criminalizes, in the form of holocaust denial.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Kaelik wrote:
angelfromanotherpin wrote:If the goal is to distinguish yourselves from Nazis, handing out jail time for poor grammar seems counterproductive.
It's not poor grammar, it's lying about who is responsible for the holocaust and making it sound like the victims were the perpetrators. That is bad. That is literally the same thing that Germany criminalizes, in the form of holocaust denial.
The Holocaust was a big project. There's enough blame to go around. Germany doesn't have to hog it all.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Yeah, I think in English you'd go with ... a Nazi death camp in Poland.

But I don't think a WWII Polish death camp is wrong, because during WWII Poland was occupied by the Nazis. With collaborators aplenty because that was pretty common, a bunch of them got lined up and shot after the war in various liberated countries.

Likely what they've said they were criminalising is ... if you were to go with "No, it was a Polish death camp" in contrast to it being a program of the Nazis. There's clearly ways to be a terrible person with those words.

And of course, like any such law, it will often be used to persecute Jews, and not Nazis.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.