The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
U.S. News That Makes You Laugh/Cry/Both/Neither...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 512, 513, 514

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maj
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True. I think the people who most rail about being immune to propaganda are the ones most vulnerable to it. And ignorance of the Tragedy of the Commons is definitely a thing. My nine year old goes off about that one a lot.
Thaluikhain
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maj wrote:
The Right believes in negative freedoms (freedom from) but not positive ones (freedom to). As far as they're concerned, the only power to bestow freedom upon the citizenry that the government has is to leave them the hell alone. This is why health care is taking away people's freedom: to them, it requires paying in to a system without consent, and is thus making them do something they don't want, and is thus not free.

A few notable exceptions to that, "the right" often wants the state to ban abortions, gay marriages, various religions etc. Though that still works if you interpret freedom from to include other people.
Maj
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah. It's not a perfect across the board thing. And frequently, as hyzmarca pointed out, language is what sells it.

Take the LGBT wedding cake thing... It's freedom to practice religion without the government telling me what to do. Abortions are often freedom from interference on behalf of the child. Blah blah blah retch.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hyzmarca wrote:

Because Obamacare is terrible, and the worst thing to happen to America since slavery, but the ACA is really useful thing that helps them pay for their medical insurance.

Or the worst thing since abolishing slavery, depending on who you ask.

I was listening to NPR today talking about Roy Moore and the fight going on between the Alt Right and the establishment GOP regarding his candidacy. They mentioned how many in Alabama were getting tired of Washington coming in telling them how to think. The guy they interviewed said something to the effect of "The federal government needs to stay out of the states. We fought a war in the 1860s over that, among other things".

It's like he forgot that the states rights part was the dog whistle and he's not actually supposed to hint at the real reason. Every thing I read or hear about Moore supporters in Alabama make me think that his voters are 100% assholes, with no exception.

Last edited by RobbyPants on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
The guy they interviewed said something to the effect of "The federal government needs to stay out of the states. We fought a war in the 1860s over that, among other things".

Fought and lost. Losing the war means the federal government actually does get to interfere with states (and abolish slavery), and accepting that is part of the "losing a war without everyone on your side getting gunned down or imprisoned afterwards" deal.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
It's like he forgot that the states rights part was the dog whistle and he's not actually supposed to hint at the real reason.

I'm a native southerner. I have more than one of "those uncles" who pontificate loudly on this topic at family gatherings (and my mother wonders why I avoid most of them), so let me run down the mindset for you:

In the mind of alt-right tosswads "states rights" isn't a cover up/dog whistle, but just another way of saying "slavery" while also including other horrible things. For instance, one of the rights the states reserve to themselves is the "right" for slavery to be legal, but let's lets not forget the "rights" to deny women healthcare and own copious amounts of firearms purchased without a background check and gun shows, etc. "States rights" covers all of those things in their minds.

Even more amusing/tragic, my great uncle is a huge supporter of Texas seceding from the union, but that's a story for another day.

Game On,
fbmf

Last edited by fbmf on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

America's relationship with the south is vexing. It is as if the allies after having won WWII had to then go and say that the nazis and concentration camps weren't so bad, and have to reconcile why we fought in the first place.

There were tribunals for war crimes (post civil war) largely from cases of prisoner mistreatment, but enslaving people when it was not legal, notsomuch.

Last edited by erik on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
nockermensch
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fbmf wrote:
In the mind of alt-right tosswads "states rights" isn't a cover up/dog whistle, but just another way of saying "slavery" while also including other horrible things. For instance, one of the rights the states reserve to themselves is the "right" for slavery to be legal, but let's lets not forget the "rights" to deny women healthcare and own copious amounts of firearms purchased without a background check and gun shows, etc. "States rights" covers all of those things in their minds.

The best kind of Union is surely the one where you get to live in a regressive hell-hole while receiving federal from the more progressive states.

Koumei wrote:
After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mask_De_H
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nockermensch wrote:
fbmf wrote:

The best kind of Union is surely the one where you get to live in a regressive hell-hole while receiving federal from the more progressive states.

Exactly. One of the reasons welfare queen works so well as a dog whistle is that a fair chunk of those kind of folks live on the dole and take full advantage of government handouts. So they project their own discomfort at being wards of a nanny state at minorities, who work harder/longer/more or require the same services they do.

They (blue collar and lower end middle class white folks) realize that compared to rich people, they're on a much lower rung of society; racists pay them in the psychological wages of "hey, at least you're not brown".
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Within 48 hours of Mick Mulvaney being named director of the Consumer Protections Bearu, the agency reverses itís stance on a mortgage company paying penalties for misleading consumers

Edit: Several female democrats are now calling on Al Franken to resign

Last edited by RobbyPants on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starmaker
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Congressman (R-Gilead) pressures staffers into bearing his surrogate children
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Al Franken decides to resign. After this announcement, several Democrats are calling on Trump to resign. He won't, of course.

It seems the Democrats are trying to rally around the strategy of taking the allegations seriously and purging their own members, while the GOP is doubling down on denying any allegations, and saying that even if they are true, kid fucking isn't bad all the time. I want to hope that the Democrat's approach will work, but Republicans have gotten really good at rationalizing and deflecting.
Hadanelith
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is incredibly frustrating that the Democrats' attempts to avoid hypocrisy end up giving ground to the Republicans, who just don't care. I can only hope that the Democrats will use their new ability to paint the Republicans as 'the party of kid-fuckers, rapists, and creeps' in the next election.
Thaluikhain
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hadanelith wrote:
I can only hope that the Democrats will use their new ability to paint the Republicans as 'the party of kid-fuckers, rapists, and creeps' in the next election.

Given that multiple women accused Trump of sexual assault before the election (and he bragged about it), yes, but it won't matter.

Like he said, he could shoot a guy in broad daylight and it'd not matter to his supporters, I don't see that being significantly less true of the rest of the GOP next election.
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
Al Franken decides to resign. After this announcement, several Democrats are calling on Trump to resign. He won't, of course.

It seems the Democrats are trying to rally around the strategy of taking the allegations seriously and purging their own members, while the GOP is doubling down on denying any allegations, and saying that even if they are true, kid fucking isn't bad all the time. I want to hope that the Democrat's approach will work, but Republicans have gotten really good at rationalizing and deflecting.

It's a good strategy for the Republicans. The Democrats have lost an experienced, popular, senator and this will be a far bigger blow to them than the PR damage from the allegations would have been.

Basically the Democrats are cutting off their own noses, and the Republicans aren't quite that stupid.
Thaluikhain
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hyzmarca wrote:
It's a good strategy for the Republicans. The Democrats have lost an experienced, popular, senator and this will be a far bigger blow to them than the PR damage from the allegations would have been.

Basically the Democrats are cutting off their own noses, and the Republicans aren't quite that stupid.

That's one way of looking at it. Might also say the Democrats are doing the right thing, getting rid of someone they morally shouldn't have in a position of power.
Chamomile
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Al Franken is likely to be replaced by another Democrat, and a visible commitment to actually being the party of liberal values rather than the party of "at least we're not the Republicans" helps to motivate the Democratic base to actually get out and vote and, given how transparently and disgustingly corrupt the Republicans are behaving thanks to Trump, can also help sway moderates who are otherwise taken in by "Both Sides!"

The amount of motivation and moderate swaying that actually occurs isn't clear, but I'm also not super convinced that Al Franken was all that useful to the Democrats outside of being a blue senator.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chamomile wrote:
The amount of motivation and moderate swaying that actually occurs isn't clear, but I'm also not super convinced that Al Franken was all that useful to the Democrats outside of being a blue senator.

He was surprisingly competent on the judiciary committee. Better than most of the others, and it's not clear that his replacement will be. It could be a loss. But it's not that big of a one. (And obviously if it's a loss at all can't be discovered until someone else replaces him.)
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thaluikhain wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:

That's one way of looking at it. Might also say the Democrats are doing the right thing, getting rid of someone they morally shouldn't have in a position of power.

If they did that in the 90s, we would have had the Gore presidency from 1994 to 1996.

I really don't think its particularly viable as a strategy, because it makes you vulnerable to false allegations, and gives the opposition an effective way to strip you of experienced people.
Blicero
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kaelik wrote:

He was surprisingly competent on the judiciary committee. Better than most of the others, and it's not clear that his replacement will be. It could be a loss. But it's not that big of a one. (And obviously if it's a loss at all can't be discovered until someone else replaces him.)

Something I saw said that, up until the judiciary committee thing, Franken had accomplished basically nothing in the Senate. A quick skim at his wikipedia article doesn't really disagree with that, from what I can tell. That being said, the topic of evaluating how good a Senator is is presumably difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 512, 513, 514
Page 514 of 514

Jump to: