The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Webcomics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voss
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, except going back to Earth has been set up as the lose condition. Popping back and forth doesn't seem likely or really possible, nor does turning his gamer group into a heist squad after however much time has passed.
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

erik wrote:
Voss wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
Not really, I couldn't get past the stupid baby talk.

Do you mean the word substitution with *boop* instead of shit or fuck? That goes away, and isn't really a big deal.

Probably even moreso the Erf=Earth, Dwagon=Dragon, Spidew=Spider, etc.

Personally, I think that the baby talk works best. Erfworld is an extremely simple, but also extremely deep wargame designed for young children. As such, it's heavily sanitized and kiddified. The juxtaposition between the childlike names and euphemisms and the actual death and court intrigue is what makes it so horrifying.

Voss wrote:
Well, except going back to Earth has been set up as the lose condition. Popping back and forth doesn't seem likely or really possible, nor does turning his gamer group into a heist squad after however much time has passed.

A of the last update Parson appeared in, he's almost certainly going back to Earth. That's been set up hard, and if it doesn't happen it will be quite disappointing.

SlyJohnny wrote:
Hicks wrote:
Remember when Erf World updated with actual comics about a miniature war game instead of 2 pictures with 17 paragraphs of cryptic naval gazing?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. He just seems so unable to cut the wheat from the chaff in terms of what's interesting and relevant and what isn't. The way Thinkamancers view the world is just different enough that he feels he has to spend pages and pages explaining it, but not interesting enough that anyone actually cares, and at the end of the day it's just an elaborate lead in to their one line or contribution to the plot. I feel like their motives could be made clearer to the audience without having to spell out every fragmentary half-moment that ever led to them making a particular decision.

I can honestly get into some of the Thinkamancer updates, not all of them, but some. The problem seems to be a rather massive amount of set-up, every single eye dotted and t-crossed, every motivation explained, no plot holes. The pages dedicated to internal character thoughts are, I think, better than the pages upon pages dedicated to set-up. Because character-driven navel gazing pages at least tell you something new. The setup pages tell you things that could have been explained in one panel.

On the other foot, I'm really digging Kill Six Billion Demons, even if Allison is turning into a sociopath, she's just having so much fun doing it. Like, all of her party members are just trying desperately not to die, and she's smiling, having fun.

Last edited by hyzmarca on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Voss
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
A of the last update Parson appeared in, he's almost certainly going back to Earth. That's been set up hard, and if it doesn't happen it will be quite disappointing.

It's been set up as someone's (well, several people's) goal, yes.
It's also been established that Erfworld stomps on people really damn hard when they try to fuck with the story before conditions are met. And Charlie ain't dead.

I expect nothing but a grotesque/hilarious comedy of errors that ends badly for the conspiracy of casters, or it works out exactly the way Hamster thinks it will.

The setup for the gambit has a couple lines at the end. Roger faked the information, but didn't know what numbers he was hiding. Odds are pretty good that they were around the same value as the fake he displayed.

Quote:
On the other foot, I'm really digging Kill Six Billion Demons, even if Allison is turning into a sociopath, she's just having so much fun doing it. Like, all of her party members are just trying desperately not to die, and she's smiling, having fun.

If she was, I'd be all for it. Unfortunately the author is pulling 'personality traits are mental constructs which have their own identity so it isn't really her' bullshit.

First time that one really disappointed me.

---
Unlike Agents of Shield, which had its new season premiere. I was enjoying it til the 'big reveal' at the end of the first half. Fucking
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Welp, nothing here matters. The theory they came up with while running around would have been far more interesting, and used the exact same sets and actors.

Happening on the back of the Matrix Hiatus where nothing mattered, this seems a bad decision. I thought the point of the show was to flesh out the world around the MCU movies?

Last edited by Voss on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:03 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: