A corner in tech development: Intel's 17-Qubit chip

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

A corner in tech development: Intel's 17-Qubit chip

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I guess this could have gone in MSPIS, but I feel that it relates to video gaming more than general news.

So, Intel is going to be releasing 17-Qubit quantum chips (soonish?). Honestly, I thought this was still a while off. I haven't finished reading the article (so maybe these are still worthless w/out the rest of the computing hardware being able to interface w/ it), but it feels like a turning point between Academic qubit computers and commercial/residential qubit computers.

https://futurism.com/17-qubit-chips-beg ... evolution/
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

psh . .
buzzwords is all.
Todays tech, especially gaming related, doesn't even properly utilize the available power.
And the overabundand available power leads to people not caring about proper programming anymore.
Because the power is there, might as well (ab)use/waste it to do something that games could do years ago with half the power.

So i expect it to take a long long time before all that oh so nifty sounding tech actually has a use due to software making use of it being available.

That starts with firmware, goes to bios/uefi, then to the drivers and then the operating system and THEN the end user software . . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Programming for quantum computer is very different from programming for standard computers. Maybe very far in the future quantum computing will be good for gaming, but right now quantum computing is for optimization problems (it's been a while, but I wrote an article on them and spoke with the folks who made the D-wave) and isn't even particularly useful for those at the moment.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Does it help anything with the traveling salesman problem?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Stahlseele wrote:Does it help anything with the traveling salesman problem?
Something about how a quantum bit can be in three states vs two (because of it being in a superposition of both off and off, which counts as a quasi third state or something) makes it really good for traveling salesman and other optimization problems that involve a fuckton of potential solutions. This was all ~6 years ago though, when the D-wave, the first commercially available quantum computer, came out. Wouldn't be shocked if more information came out finding new, better uses for them.

One of the other uses would be networking because of quantum entanglement or some shit. I am (was?) a journalist though, I'm just repeating stuff I learned through talking from people who actually understood that shit.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I think i remember reading up a bit on quantum entanglement back when it was the big deal . . it is basically microscopic level teleportation of information due to shared state of being between two things?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Not teleportation (your transmission qubit remains in the same place) but it's essentially instant communication if you have two qubits that are entangled, no matter the distance. It's super secure and setting the entanglement is done at the speed of light I think. With lasers. I have literally no idea how or why it works.

But quantum computing is so far away from ever being used in consumer applications that it's not really worth talking about. I certainly can't afford one, let alone the storage requirements (they need to be kept as close to absolute 0 as possible to reduce decoherence). It is great for optimization problems and will fuck over classic security very hard, and eventually quantum computers could allow for insanely secure communication that can't be intercepted.

It is entirely possible that quantum computers will never be a consumer product because of the storage requirements.
sandmann wrote:

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

What it will do is fuck with the entire millisecond brokering on the big stock exchanges on the opposite ends of the world.
And those lot are the ones that can actually afford the storage requirements.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Stahlseele wrote:What it will do is fuck with the entire millisecond brokering on the big stock exchanges on the opposite ends of the world.
And those lot are the ones that can actually afford the storage requirements.
Communications are still pretty far away because of decoherence (which is why quantum programs right now are run multiple times to make sure they come out correct) iirc.

Realistically quantum computing's first uses will be (and already are) optimization problems and other problems that can be solved with parallel processing. It will invalidate a lot of modern security due to how well it can do shit like prime factorization and will revolutionize mapping and travel for organizations that can afford it.

Everything else is still up in the air, but communication is a safe bet eventually.
sandmann wrote:

Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

This may be relevant/helpful (or possibly not, since I don't know quantum, so I can't tell how close SMBC is)
GreatGreyShrike
Master

Post by GreatGreyShrike »

^ The author of SMBC collaborated with Scott Aaronson to produce that comic. Aaronson is a quantum computing researcher who has taught at MIT and is now "the founding director of UT Austin's new quantum computing center" (wiki), and I would be hard-pressed to name a significantly more authoritative source.
Last edited by GreatGreyShrike on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Fwib wrote:This may be relevant/helpful (or possibly not, since I don't know quantum, so I can't tell how close SMBC is)
I have never thought I'd see SMBC become an educational cartoon. I feel dirty now.