From the Depths of Wikipedia

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

You only have to protect Trademarks, not Copyright or anything else.

The Tolkien estate wanted TSR to stop using Hobbit (etc) because they wanted to charge a decent sum for the licence, which they did after they got a court ruling that various words in context were unique to the middle earth stories even when translated to an RPG.

Though, it turns out, some of those were not unique at all, just obscure. Hobs are normal enough farm worker spirits and Hobbit is an obscure version of the same.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

True, if they wanted the tie-in, they could have licensed for 1$. It was most likely to prevent dilution of the branding.

Now though, Hobbits seem to be public domain. Which is pretty awesome for other IP creators. Especially now that it's been made clear in other TGD threads that Orc & Drow are also public domain words.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Frequency_illusion

Let us take a moment to appreciate that picture caption.
erik
King

Post by erik »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocorism#English

My wife is training a coworker who must have English as a second language because she is driving mrs erik crazy by asking repeatedly about names like Will and William as though it is an error that people may have one as the name on their checks and another as their name in a directory. So I gave her that link to just give her coworker next time.

And now for a new game: Guess the legend!
(what do red and blue signify in this case)

Ancient History
Serious Badass

I was gonna say "British empire at the start of WW1" but Canada isn't there so...left-hand drive countries?
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

It's left hand drive: the only thing Japan, Australia and England have in common that isn't being an island.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Too right. Shoot, I meant to include in my post "mouseover image for the answer"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

The link in the Non-US news thread about left-handed whorled snails led me to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situs_inversus

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Judging__Eagle wrote:The link in the Non-US news thread about left-handed whorled snails led me to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situs_inversus
Heh, I was familiar with this because we very, very, rarely had patients that I monitored via EKG telemetry that basically had dextrocardia, which called for placing the leads in a mirror image as well, if I recall correctly.

I did the numbers once upon a time, and I think over the years I probably watched about 40,000 unique hearts. So 1/10,000 sounds about right for how rare they were.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophonius

Sometimes it feels like the only reason I keep playing Fallen London is its archaic diction.

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Sword wielding martyrs were responsible for significant parts of firearms history, but defeated through the use of pork:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juramentado
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Ancient History
Serious Badass