Favorite Horror Movies?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Favorite Horror Movies?

Post by Prak »

What are peoples' favorite horror (or otherwise Halloween appropriate) movies? Not necessarily the best, or good, but enjoyable.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I have a strange interest in Hellraiser stuff. Probably because Pinhead, and stuff like this.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Depends . . there is one movie that i have a deep seated chilhood trauma from and i have not, in my 33 years of age, dared to watch again because of that . .

Moontrap

Horror-Films i ENJOY?
nightmare on Elmstreet. The OLD Fredy Krueger Movies.
Also, Halloween. Which is Friday the 13th but less bloody.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I think my top 10 list is probably:

Alien
The Thing (John Carpenter's 1980s version)
Hellraiser
Into the Mouth of Madness
The Ring
Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein
Army of Darkness
Them!
Get Out
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Some other films worth checking out include:
Lost Boys, Bella Lugosi Dracula, Boris Karloff Frankenstein, Lon Cheney Wolfman, Brendon Fraiser Mummy movies, Jaws, Blair Witch, Kairo, Let the Right one In, Gremlins, Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, Misery, Scream I-III, The Fly (both versions), Videodrome, 28 Days Later and the sequel 28 Weeks Later, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Shaun of the Dead

Enjoyable, but not "good":

TremorsI - III, Night of the Lepus, The Stuff, The Bad Seed, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Lady in White. It's one that young people can probably handle - more suspense than horror, but I like it for Halloween.
-This space intentionally left blank
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Mine (listed in no specific order)

Hellbound
Event Horizon
The Fog (Carpenters' 1980 one)
Nightmare on Elm Street 4 and 6
In the Mouth of Madness
Creepshow 2
Welcome to Oldfield
The Company of Wolves
Paranormal Activity
Saw
The Exorcist (director's cut, the one with the Spider Walk)
The Shining
Romero's whole zombie saga (Night of The Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Island of the Dead)
Resident Evil
American Werewolf in London (the original)
Dawn of the Dead (Snyder's remake)
Interview with the Vampire

(may be forgetting some)
erik
King

Post by erik »

Some horror movies kind of straddle the line between horror and action, so forgive me for some of my selections that are more action-y.

10 Cloverfield Lane
Alien
Aliens
Attack the Block
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Evil Dead
Ex Machina
It (TV miniseries)
Pitch Black
Predator
Silent Hill
The Cabin in the Woods
The Shining (Jack Nicholson version)
The Thing
War of the Worlds (1953)
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Alien and The Thing are the must-watch classics everyone's already seen. Let's throw The Exorcist, The Shining, and Romero's ____ of the Dead series to that.

The early Freddy Krueger films are probably the pinnacle of dumb fun slasher horror. Let's be real - none of the big three franchises (Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street) are particularly cerebral or engaging. You are not going to become invested in the setting's "deep, rich lore" and you are probably never even going to find yourself caring which - if any - of the protagonists actually survive. You are there to watch people get murdered, and Nightmare on Elm Street's quirky set-up keeps things from becoming too repetitive. If you were going to sit down with your friends and binge watch a couple movies from one of the big three, you invite Freddy to that particular party while telling Jason and Mikey to get lost.

Scream is a horror movie about horror movie tropes. It hasn't aged well, because while it may have been a fairly novel idea back then the mindset Scream asks you to adopt while watching it is exactly how everyone in 2017 already thinks when watching horror movies. Maybe that's Scream's fault? Maybe Scream ruined itself for future generations by being so successful? It's certainly not bad, but it's a 90's commentary on the 80's and will seem absolutely banal here in the the 10's. Enjoy it as a product of its era.

The Cabin in the Woods is to monster flicks as Scream was to slasher flicks. I suspect Scream will prove more durable in film literature because it beat The Cabin in the Woods to it by more than fifteen goddamn years, but being late to the party doesn't mean you can't be well-dressed for it. It's a good film.

The Mist is at least somewhat underrated and also one of my guilty pleasures. I mean, it's fucking Frank Darabont. How could a Frank Darabont film not be gold? This is the guy who gave us The Shawshank Redemption, the Green Mile, The Walking Dead S1, and... The Majestic... Hm. Fuck. The Mist's greatest sin is casting Thomas Jane to play Thomas Jane. He does nothing to hurt the film, but he also adds nothing to it and in the end all you can really say is that he was there and he played a character.
Josh Kablack wrote:Enjoyable, but not "good":

TremorsI - III...
Tremors 1 is very, very good and I'll fite u about it. Tremors 2 is pleasantly terrible. Tremors 3 is a thing which exists, and that is the strongest praise I am willing to give it.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

As far as I'm concerned the high point of the Tremors series is the first act of the 2nd movie where Fred Ward's character is hired to hunt down a re-emergence of the monsters -- and he proceeds to do so with a plan that's pretty much what any player character who knows how these monsters work would do.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Josh_Kablack wrote:I think my top 10 list is probably:

Alien
The Thing (John Carpenter's 1980s version)
Hellraiser
Into the Mouth of Madness
The Ring
Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein
Army of Darkness
Them!
Get Out
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
(...)
Nice choice, right there.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Since this is presumably for Halloween party or movie watching...

my top 3 for horror movies to watch around Halloween from my list would be:
The Thing (Kurt Russel version)
The Cabin in the Woods
10 Cloverfield Lane

And I think we all neglected Halloween appropriate non-horror options.
E.T.
Donnie Darko
Ghost Busters
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Actual horror: Let Me In

Comedic horror: Witching and Bitching