ToFIE: the crappy RPGMaker game

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You can do it with engine modifications - yanfly.moe has a mod that lets you change it to whatever size you like. However that does require also shifting the size of various bars and gauges (because the screen just assumes it only needs to fit up to four of these), as well as adjusting where everyone stands on the field. It will take a bit of effort on your part to make things fit nicely on the screen.

Also there's the option to let you swap party members in and out of the active team (either at the start of a round, or on a character-by-character basis if you are handling turns that way). You know, the FFX thing.

Without mods? No, the core game doesn't do that.

---

New changes made and tested:
-Now Legs and Tail are entirely different slots, rather than different equipment types for the one Legs slot. Everyone shows both on their Equip menu, but the N/A one is greyed out.
-You can't put icons in the names of items for them to immediately stand out, so I'm not doing that any more. This didn't break the game, it just meant the names of recipes had some nonsense text. This is no longer the case.
-Enemies don't have Passive effects, because I tested and those don't go away when dispelled/stolen - basically, the effect is ended for them, and then because it's Passive it starts up again straight away. So it's less Stealing effects for the Rogue, more copying, and the RIAA would be very angry about that. So instead, an event triggers at "turn zero" (after initialisation but before inputs), or when the enemy arrives (for reinforcements) to give those status effects to them. Now when you dispel Regeneration on a Troll, it flat-out loses Regeneration.

Yes, I'm okay with that being a thing that happens. Adding to the tactical opportunities within the game is more important than remaining true to D&D.
Last edited by Koumei on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

DO DOO DO DOOOOOOO

Here is the zip for the Windows build. Unzipped it's like half a gig just as it is at the moment. Let me know if you find any bugs or something goes wrong, but I have been trying to test everything I could think of.

Also let me know if you think the encounter difficulty should be adjusted in the first area.

At the moment, the following enemies are animated: slime, ooze, elf bandit, elf mage, orc bandit, orc captain, dwarf bandit, halfling bandit, gnome bandit, bat, rat. I'm working on making custom sprites but obviously that takes ages.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

The difficulty jump between the end of the starting area where a lvl4 Seheshen is casually soloing 2-4 bats/rats/slimes by just spamming attack and the wandering bandits where a a lvl 4 party of 3 needs to be both smart and lucky to even survive an encounter is a bit jarring.

I went back to an earlier save and ground random encounters on the final screen of the starter dungeon to make sure Seheshen was level 5 before getting to the overworld map.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Perhaps I should tone them down a bit, then. At the very least, just reducing their damage output and HP is probably in order, even if their ability usage is fine.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Alternately, you could add a gauntlet / boss fight to the end of the starter dungeon to force level Seheshen to at-least level 5.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Is it intentional that Elize (diviner) does not have Camp?

Having to go through the whole dialog for each set of bandit leathers turned in for the bounty gets tedious when turning in multiple sets.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Camp is a Special skill. If you don't have access to Special skills then you don't get Camp. Not that it matters - Seheshen gets it no matter what, and is always in the party, and it affects the entire party.

About the best I can do for the bandit leathers is to have it run the "Do you have this in your inventory? If so, subtract 1 and add ElfCoin" check multiple times when you select that option, so if you stock up a hundred then you'll still have to talk 10-20 times. You can't get it to check how many of a thing you have, or run While loops or anything like that.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Incidentally, here is the completed spritesheet for green slime.
I have also adjusted colour levels to make a red/orange slime for the one in the starter cave. You won't actually see all of those animations used.

...also only now have I seen I need to clean up a couple of bits, I didn't see on the transparent background layer that gimp uses.