The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Why Diplomacy/Intimidate/Bluff, and not more or less?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OgreBattle
King

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Why Diplomacy/Intimidate/Bluff, and not more or less? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In most games I've played social stuff is handwaved/MTP'd and the crunch is in combat, but many games still have concrete rules for it.

Looking at D&D we have "Tell lies", "Make people like you", and "Scare them".
Looking at WhiteWolf games we lave lots more stuff, and I forget how things work in Shadowrun.

What systems do you prefer for intrigue heavy games, combat heavy ones? This is something I've been mulling over as I doodle about my own Heartbreaker.
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

An RPG is a group activity, and minigames that are expected to take up a lot of time need to provide things for all or most of the characters to do. In the context of combat minigames, this means that every character needs some kind of combat action to perform. In the case of investigative minigames or scouting minigames or intrigue minigames, that still basically means exactly the same thing unless those minigames get shrunk to the point that it is acceptable for one player "just do it."

You don't need a lockpicking minigame, it's acceptable for a single character to simply handle picking each lock because the resolution can be handled quickly (Extended Tests for lockpicking are therefore terribad and shouldn't be done). Whether you need a talking minigame or not depends entirley on how much screen time the talking is going to get. If it's hardly any, it's OK for the players to shake the face at each social problem. If it's going to take up half a session, you can't have any off the players sitting the whole thing out.

It doesn't all have to be characters finishing each others' sentences. If you want to make intrigue and shit a thing, it's OK for characters to be contributing with knowledge and perception checks or acting as wingmen or whatever.

-Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: