Shadowrun(esqe) Movie?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

Shadowrun(esqe) Movie?

Post by Wiseman »

It's called bright. Seriously, this looks like shadowrun with the serial numbers filed off. Could easily be shadowrun early 2020s.

https://www.facebook.com/netflixus/vide ... 771221186/
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Hahah I just saw that trailer too and also thought "Shadowrun the movie?"
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

From what i have seen that is closer to Hellboy than shadowrun, because it too is missing in the cyberpunk/scifi department but pretty strong in the urban modern fantasy..
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

It depends on how you look at it. Despite all of the character's loneliness the Hellboy comics themselves usually don't really delve much into metatype as a metaphor for racism that often because he's one of a kind and is usually too busy having EC comic adventures. By contrast Shadowrun has often steered right into that lane, so I'd say in the ways that will actually matter to the story I'd bet on Bright being more like Shadowrun than Hellboy.
bears fall, everyone dies
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Needs more dwarves and, you know, the actual cyberpunk/shamanistic aesthetic, but I thought that, too.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So is Bright:
  • The movie so bad that despite having Will Smith it wasn't worth a theatrical release.
    or
  • Netflix is flexing their muscles so hard they got Will Smith.
?

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Probably the latter. And Cinemas boycotting Netflix.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Option C? Will Smith's appeal has dropped so far that he's been reduced to doing Netflix movies.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

It's listed as a 90 million budget -- the most expensive Netflix has spent yet.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

FrankTrollman wrote:So is Bright:
  • The movie so bad that despite having Will Smith it wasn't worth a theatrical release.
    or
  • Netflix is flexing their muscles so hard they got Will Smith.
?

-Username17
Theatres refuse to work with Netflix because Netflix refuses to delay their digital releases until after the movie has had its theatrical run. This was also a Netflix original from the very beginning of production, so it's not just some failed project they bought out halfway through and tried to salvage.

It's clearly Netflx flexing their muscles. They hired Will Smith and are implicitly daring theatres to continue cockblocking them or just gradually fade from relevance.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, Lucy Fry is going to be in that. Possibly might be the only person here who cares about that, though.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

OgreBattle wrote:Hahah I just saw that trailer too and also thought "Shadowrun the movie?"
Naw. Shadowrun would be a heist flick. This is just Training Day with heavier makeup.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

This reminds me of a more action packed Alien Nation.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

The big difference between Bright and Shadowrun (and Alien Nation) is the lack of an Awakening. This isn't a case of faeries, elves, and orcs suddenly showing up. This is a case of faeries, elves, and orcs having always openly existed alongside humanity thoughout huistory, but this didn't actually change anything and society is mostly the same, except really racist against Orcs, Elves, and Faeries.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

The big difference between Bright and Shadowrun (and Alien Nation) is the lack of an Awakening.
Also (from what I could tell from the trailer) the lack of all the Cyberpunkish societal aspects.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The modern world resembles cyberpunk more closely than it does the 80s. Cyberpunk's growing problem as a setting is that it is having more and more difficulty distinguishing itself from a contemporary setting. At some point it's just gonna be punk. You can make a story set in the regular modern world that deals with and draws attention to heavy class distinctions and plausibly call yourself cyberpunk.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Sticking flashy chrome and metal bits into your body.
A Digital world/frontier. Huge corporations taking stuff over.
If that is not in a movie, i do not give it the cyberpunk trampstamp of approval.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

erik
King

Post by erik »

Stahlseele wrote:Sticking flashy chrome and metal bits into your body.
A Digital world/frontier. Huge corporations taking stuff over.
If that is not in a movie, i do not give it the cyberpunk trampstamp of approval.
So, cyberpunk or just modern?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i do not recognize that picture.
bladerunner?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

hyzmarca wrote:The big difference between Bright and Shadowrun (and Alien Nation) is the lack of an Awakening. This isn't a case of faeries, elves, and orcs suddenly showing up. This is a case of faeries, elves, and orcs having always openly existed alongside humanity thoughout huistory, but this didn't actually change anything and society is mostly the same, except really racist against Orcs, Elves, and Faeries.
I'm not sure this is really as big a difference as you make it out to be. The Awakening was in like 2011, and the SR game takes place in 2050+. So many people in the world are already born into a world of metahumanity. Both worlds are apparently still racist against metahumans etc.

But having only seen the trailer, maybe Bright uses the fact that metahumans have always existed openly as a plot point? Can't wait to see it to find out...

About the more cyberpunk aspects missing from this film...I'll take a half-trope SR movie over no movie at all. Seems it has Man and Magic, just hope the movie does well so that the NEXT movie can add Machine :)
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
erik
King

Post by erik »

Stahlseele wrote:i do not recognize that picture.
bladerunner?
it's the American remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I shoulda used a pic from the original, but that pic had the small lappy which made it seem more techy to me.

Basically she has the punk look, does some hacking, and is under threat from pseudocorporate interests as she works with an independent journal to expose them. But if she didn't have the punk aesthetic, the story could be about the same and be totally modern and yet share way more with cyberpunk than the 80's.