The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
ToFIE: the crappy RPGMaker game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> I Gave the Mouse a Cookie...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be honest, I can't do anything about the clicking - it probably isn't implemented that well in RPGMaker, so my best suggestion is to use a controller like god intended, and I don't even believe in gods.

The starter dungeon is really supposed to be just a basic intro thing. Fair enough on encounters being too common, but I'm kind of lazy when it comes to creating monsters especially when you then have to create individual "troops" (encounters). You can't simply say "Enemies in this area: A, B, X, Y" and have it decide how many of what, if you want 1 bat, 2 bats, 1 slime, 1 slime + 2 bats, you're looking at creating 4 entries (plus the actual data for the monsters).

So yeah, I'm going to have to make actual downloadable updates few and far between, but with all files distributed to make sure audio load errors don't happen. And basically just suggest "don't use the mouse, I know you wish you were playing NWN or BG but try to keep them from your mind, just thinking about how much you loved (FF game of choice) and how glad you are this isn't Diablo 2".

The next update is going to be a while, because aside from fixing whatever errors I've found here, it's going to cover at least one extra hub land, and a few fully fleshed out areas in both that and Zundun, and maybe even the farmland and noble estate in elfland as well. And that means a bunch of work.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is RPGMaker free? Can I download it and add a couple enemy entries based on the stats of the previous enemies, find some open domain art to slam on it, and then upload the files here for you to quickly review and integrate?

Or even just 1 slime + 1 bat using your existing materials?
maglag
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei wrote:

The starter dungeon is really supposed to be just a basic intro thing. Fair enough on encounters being too common, but I'm kind of lazy when it comes to creating monsters especially when you then have to create individual "troops" (encounters). You can't simply say "Enemies in this area: A, B, X, Y" and have it decide how many of what, if you want 1 bat, 2 bats, 1 slime, 1 slime + 2 bats, you're looking at creating 4 entries (plus the actual data for the monsters).

That's one of the things you can outsource to den volunteers. "Here are individual monster stats, now code me this specific combination of encounters."

Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RPGMaker is not free, no.

Also, you can't just add stuff to a distributed file, you'd need access to the actual project file, and hahaha fuck you.

I might add a rat though, for the first area, just to get people used to stat-debuffing attacks and also to mix into the basic encounters in Zundun.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There ARE free trial editions of some versions of RPG Maker. They have limited capabilities, though. http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/free-trials/trial-rpg-maker-mv

I tried 20 minutes of ToFIE before work, and it seems decent so far. Picked a kensei because I didn't want to bring in a physically weak char, here's my thoughts midway through the first dungeon.

1. Your encounter rate seems a bit high. I'd recommend dropping it dramatically, some players can get tired of fighting the same thing every 10 squares or so pretty fast. (Or switching to event-based roaming encounters, but I know that's more work.)
2. I like that you're putting in PC commentary on examining objects, it's one of the strengths of presenting content in this medium.
3. Thousand Cuts seems really effective on slimes. Does it knock down their maxHP by like 90% or something? At level 1, I was smacking them round after round, but now they die in one hit after I debuff them.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Huh, I figured it'd be easier to send in scraps of files to add to the database. Too bad.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ikeren wrote:
Huh, I figured it'd be easier to send in scraps of files to add to the database. Too bad.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/220700/discussions/2/648814844397174789/
https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/18792/

These threads go into some of the issues of group development. Short story, Koumei's right, and she'd have to share the project file. It'd also be really easy to mess things up. Art and audio assets can still be worked on separately, though. Dialogue requires you know what plugins the project is using, and you might need to watch a tutorial or 2.

Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some quick notes on bugs.
http://i.imgur.com/gwI06aU.png
Some terrain is walkable when it shouldn't. The moss layer, for instance, lets you go through walls when placed on them.

http://i.imgur.com/XdZLuSG.png
Most bandit attacks trigger audio call crashes. I did manage to fight some gnomes, though.

http://i.imgur.com/DWebDkg.png
Facing for these magic crystals isn't fixed. If you check "Direction Fix" for the event, that should keep them from displaying different sprites based on where you interact with them from.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have added a rat with a debuff attack.
I will make a note to reduce encounter rates by quite a bit.
...and to fix the directions of the crystals. Thanks for that.
...and to do something about the moss, either removing it or turning it into an event object overlaid onto the wall, or making it a secret passage to bonus stuff. That'd be kind of funny, albeit stupid.

Yeah, I want to have a bit of commentary and stuff on items, though I'll say I am following a grand tradition with "Barrel~". I need to add a musical note icon to add there. And a sound file of "Baaaaru~"

I'll tell you what 1KCuts does as soon as I open it up, but doing that crashes my browser so you'll have to wait until after I post this, finish watching a long youtube video etc. So it'll be a few hours away.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is the full data for every Kensei ability:

And for comparison, Attack: physical attack against 1 selected enemy, HP damage (type = weapon), 4*Attack - 2*Defence, 20% variance, can crit. Grants 10 TP.

Kiai! (L1): Special, spend 3 MP to gain 25 TP, and Kiai! status for 3 turns (+50% to Crit rate. As in if your weapon has 5% Crit, it's now 55%, not 7.5%)

All or Nothing! (L1): Special, costs 75% of your maximum HP (as in, reduces you from 100/100 to 25/100, it doesn't permanently reduce your maximum HP) and has 10 rounds of cooldown. Always hits, deals normal weapon damage to HP, deals straight 4*Attack regardless of enemy stats. 20% variance and can crit. 50% chance of a OHKO.

Iaijutsu Strike (L2): Special, costs 1 MP and 25 TP, deals Sharp damage regardless of weapon. 100 + 4*Attack - 1*Defence, 25% variance, can crit. Removes the Unstoppable state from enemies (Immortality that is overcome by Fire damage - so like Troll Regeneration without the Regeneration).

Thousand Cuts (L2): Special attack, grants 2 TP, deals weapon damage of 2*Attack - 1*Defence (20% variance, can crit). Debuffs enemy defence for 20 turns (ie the rest of their life), and that can stack a whole bunch of times. IIRC each buff multiplies a stat by 125% and each debuff multiplies it by 75%.

(The oozes are specifically made there as a thing to kind of annoy non-Wizards (without locking you in eternal conflict: the basic fight will end after a bunch of turns if you can't hurt it, with the enemy fleeing), so they have relatively low HP (45) but high physical defence (35). So anything that ignores their defence will wreck them, and anything that reduces it will set them up to be ruined by future attacks.)

Counter Stance (L3): Special, spend 20 TP to gain Counter status for 2-3 turns. Counter status will, upon an enemy physical attack hitting, have a 90% chance to negate their hit and unleash an attack as a counter-attack. Also it increases your Guard effectiveness to 150%.

Spirit Blade (L3): Special attack, costs 20 MP and 10 TP. Always hits, deals Light damage: 100 + 2*Attack + 1*Magic Attack - 1*(Defence + Magic Defence). 20% variance, can crit.

Offensive Stance (L4): Special, gain 10 TP, Cooldown 10 rounds. Removes any Defence buffs and then debuffs it twice, but removes any Attack debuffs then buffs it three times.

Defensive Stance (L4): imagine the text from Offensive Stance, but swap the words Attack and Defence.

Cut Magic (L5): Special, costs 5 MP and 10 TP. Deals normal damage but can't crit, and removes all buffs as well as Immortality, Rage, Kiai!, Hiding, Counter, Spell Resistance, Stoneskin, Regeneration, Mage Armour, Fire Shield, Nightshield and Healing Link. Possibly I should remove some of those that aren't really magic effects but are just benefits?

Double Attack (L5): Attack, except against two random enemies.

Test the Waters (L6): Special, grants 10 TP, physical attack that deals non-elemental damage (and thus is not resisted by anything). "Physical Damage Rate" still reduces it though. Deals damage equal to your Attack stat (no reductions, only 10% variance), with critical hits allowed, and removes any Defence buffs and Mage Armour.

Whirlwind Attack (L6): Special, costs 15 TP, makes an attack against every single enemy. Normal attack damage + 50. Doesn't actually do wind damage.

Sword Dance (L7): Special, gives you the SWORD DANCE state for the rest of the fight - all you can do is attack the enemy (like a Rage), but you get +25% Attack, +10% Hit and Crit and Evasion rate, and +15% Counter rate.

The Shadow (L7): Special, costs 10 MP and 10 TP. Deals Darkness damage, 4*Attack - 1*Defence (so, above-average damage without a flat bonus number added), 20% variance, can crit. Debuffs Agility and Luck for 5 turns and removes Nightshield (which is a state that adds damage-absorbing barrier every turn and thus is something you want to remove sooner rather than later).

Dual Attack (L8): Attack, except twice against the same target.

Parry Magic (L8): Special, costs 10 TP, gives Spell Resistance (+55% Magic Evasion, +25% Magic Defence stat) until the end of battle.

Thunder Blade (L9): Special, costs 10 MP, deals Thunder damage, normal damage, 20% variance, can crit, 25% chance of causing Paralysis.

Iaijutsu Master (L9): Special, costs 20 TP, has a 6-round cooldown, but makes an Iaijutsu Strike without costing an action. Yes, it's actually cheaper than regular Iaijutsu. Yes, if you have 45 TP and 1 MP you can use both in the same turn (remember to use Master first).

Triple Attack (L10): Attack, except against three random enemies.

Deflect Magic (L10): Special, spend 10 MP and 20 TP, gain Spell Reflection for 3-5 turns (Magic Reflection +75%)
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And while I'm at it...

Wizard
(Note: many status effect spells. Keep in mind that a lot of things have innate modifiers to their rate of suffering a status effect, so just because it says 80% chance of Sleep, something that only suffers sleep 50% of the time will in fact have a 40% chance, but something with a 150% chance would be guaranteed. Relative Luck stats also factor into it in some way.)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Ninja

angelfromanotherpin
King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm struggling to see why Mage Armor is a spell and not some sort of passive effect. Making people cast it 1/rest is just a busy-work/newb-trap combo. A small one, but still.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, now that I know how to make things passive effects, I could just do that. Originally, it wasn't as long-lasting, and was going to be a basic "cast spell, get boost". And then I realised "The bats go first and kill you before you cast it". No idea if it can then get dispelled - it might reapply instantly.

And probably tomorrow I'll put up the detailed skill info for other classes.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's plugins for instant-cast skills, if you'd prefer to do it that way. Also cool down mechanics, if the instant is something that'd get spammed otherwise.

http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/30/yep-22-instant-cast-2/
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the game has instant-cast and cooldowns already. But that does rely on waiting until it's your turn. So for Mage Armour I'll just go with it being a passive and see how that turns out.

Oracle

Swashbuckler

Rogue

Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Warlock

Monk and Assassin later.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mage Armour (the status) now ends at the end of battle, but if you have the Mage Armour skill then you always have it as a passive effect. This probably means it instantly reactivates whenever dispelled, but oh well. The duration change is mostly there so if you steal Mage Armour from an enemy it won't last beyond the fight.

Monk

Assassin

Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So I went to test something, and now "something" has fucked up from the last few days of stuff, causing it to throw a syntax error before even bringing the title screen up.

I'll look into it over the next couple of days, and if I can find out what is causing the trouble, I'll just excise that thing from the game or fix the syntax or specific number it expects or whatever. Otherwise I will of course be deleting the entire project and dedicating my spare time to drinking rather than making shit and you can all get fucked.
Omegonthesane
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What, srsly? I'm guessing you haven't saved backups of earlier versions given you've ruled out "rolling it back a week".
Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.
FrankTrollman wrote:
As far as death and human misery goes, Tobacco is basically World War II grinding on forever with no real sign of stopping in our life times. Death camps and nuclear bombs and stuff are certainly dramatic, but public health crises are always and forever bigger than wars on the global scale.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The last back-up is from ages ago, and a lot more effort than I'd be willing to re-build. Going forward, I'm going to playtest after every small addition so I can be sure it's all working.

Nockermensch happens to be a hero, however, and found the problem. I had set an auto-state to 0037 rather than 37 despite 0037 being technically the correct "as it shows in the database" form and Yanfly simply making them interchangeable. Now I'm going to go through and test every single skill, enemy, state etc. in the game just to make sure it's all solid. And then back it up.

After that, being in a good mood, I might export and upload the game as it stands, now with the various changes suggested, the rat enemy, and two new custom (kind of shitty) skill animations.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good job Nockermensch then!
Aryxbez
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whew! Hooray for Nockermensch!

Looking forward to playing this at some point, will totally "donate" money for when its done (If possible anyway).
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History

Last edited by Aryxbez on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Josh_Kablack
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei wrote:

Purely a descriptive error, but that bangle currently equips to the "legs" slot, despite the item description saying it would be a nice tail adornment.

And the audio call crashes are problematic. They won't let me recruit additional party members. EDIT: But it's pretty easy to fix -- the "attack1.ogg" file isn't in the SE ( ToFIE/WWW/Audio/SE ) directory. I copied "attack2" and renamed it to "attack1" and it seems to have solved the issue.

Camping on the elf map can be interrupted by a non-existant encounter. You'll heal to half and get the "interrupted" messgae, but no encounter follows.

Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:36 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, the updated upload will be up mid next week, when bandwidth refreshes.

The Legs slot is feet for most but tail for Seheshen - she can't equip boots to that slot, but can equip bangles and things (vice versa for everyone else). I'll see if I can have two completely different slots though, if that helps.

As mentioned, the audio crashes should be fixed with the next upload, the drawback likely being file size.

I'm not particularly pleased with Camping. Basically, the skill calls up a Common Event which does the following:
1. Check to see if you're in a map that allows it (not zone-by-zone).
2. Assuming the above is fine, it goes through a list of food items, until it finds one that you have.
3. Assuming it does find a food item in your inventory, it subtracts 1 and provides partial healing.
4. It then makes a random check, with a small chance of being interrupted - in which case it tells you, then processes a random encounter "as normal for the zone". If the zone has no random encounters because you don't want people getting into random battles there, they are just interrupted and that's all.
5. If they're not interrupted, everything is fully restored.

I was thinking about ways to scale food consumption with party size, both of which involve simply changing food to generic "food" (one makes a Food item and has an item component for the skill - but would consume it even if you try to camp in an invalid location - the other makes Food a variable, and you'd then need a separate skill or function to turn food items into the food variable, because enemies can't just "drop" variables). That bit doesn't affect the problem with "You were interrupted by a very loud nothing" however.

It might even be better just to ditch the Camp skill - and then simply have a few places where if you go there it triggers "This would be an ideal place to set up camp. Yes/No" and handle it that way.
Shrapnel
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So I have a question about RPGmaker. Having recently come into possession of it, I was wondering... is there any way to have more than four party members active at a time, or is that a hard-wired legacy thing due to Dragon Quest III?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> I Gave the Mouse a Cookie... All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: