RETRACTED

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Hicks
Duke

RETRACTED

Post by Hicks »

So this is an official retraction by me: this was a dumb idea, and I've felt bad about it since uploading it. I'm not going to delete it, because that would also be dumb. What I will say that I no longer endorse this class as a thing that should be written unironically on a character sheet, ever. Sorry people, if there is a next time I'll try to do better.
Sorcerer
"I do things. Magical Things."

So i feel this is pretty self explanatory; just maximize intelligence and get some scrolls, you should be fine.

Starting Gold: 3d6 x 10 gp
Alignment: any
Hit Dice: d4
Skill Points: 2 + INT modifier per level (x4 at first level)
Class Skills: concentration, craft, decipher script, knowledge (all skills taken individually), profession, spellcraft, use magic device
LevelBABFortitudeReflexWillpowerClass Abilities
1+0+0+0+2apprentice, basic sorcery, magic scrolls, prestidigitation
2+1+0+0+3familiar
3+1+1+1+3advanced sorcery
4+2+1+1+4dead level
5+2+1+1+4expert sorcery, mentor

Class Features
All the following are class features of the sorcerer.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: sorcerers are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield.

Apprentice (Ex): at first level a sorcerer gains the Apprentice feat from the Dungeon Master’s Guide 2 as a bonus feat. Their mentor is a spell caster who has at least 5 levels of sorcerer and has a Challenge Rating of at least 4 more than the apprentice. A sorcerer may use their intelligence modifier instead of their charisma modifier for use magic device skill checks.

Basic Sorcery (Sp): sorcerers get access to set of spell like abilities, called Sorcery. Though this sorcery is not a sphere, and cannot be selected as a valid sphere for any other class or feat without exception, it functions in all other ways exactly like a fiendish sphere out of the Book of Fiends. At first level a sorcerer gets basic access to their Sorcery, and can use each spell like ability once per day as long as they have at least the number of hit dice indicated for each spell like ability. All Sorcery spell like abilities have a DC of 10 + ½ the sorcerer’s hit dice + the sorcerer’s intelligence modifier. A sorcerer uses their intelligence modifier instead of their charisma modifier to oppose charisma checks.

Magic Scrolls (Ex): at first level a sorcerer can use any magical scroll as if they had the scroll’s spell on their spell list; a sorcerer has a caster level equal to their hit dice for the purpose of casting scrolls. If a sorcerer succeeds a special use magic device check to use a scroll (20 + 2*(caster level) the scroll is not expended, its caster level is then equal to the sorcerer’s hit dice, and the scroll’s save DC is 10 + ½ the sorcerer’s hit dice (round up) + the sorcerer’s intelligence modifier. A sorcerer may duplicate a scroll as if they were using the feat Scribe Scroll, requiring the same costs and time to scribe a copy; duplicating a scroll does not use up the original scroll.

Prestidigitation (Sp): at first level a sorcerer may use prestidigitation as a spell like ability at will.

Familiar (Ex): at second level a sorcerer may either gain a familiar exactly as a wizard can or substitute this class ability for one of the alternate wizard abilities in the Player’s Handbook 2.

Advanced Sorcery (Sp): at third level a sorcerer gets advanced access to their Sorcery, and can use each spell like ability three times per day as long as they have at least the number of hit dice indicated for each spell like ability.

Dead Level (Ex): at fourth level a sorcerer gains no class ability. This is a joke ability.

Expert Sorcery (Sp): at fifth level a sorcerer gets expert access to their Sorcery, and can use each spell like ability at will as long as they have at least the number of hit dice indicated for each spell like ability.

Mentor (Ex): at fifth level a sorcerer exchanges their Apprentice feat for the Mentor feat from the Dungeon Master’s Guide 2.

Sorcery
Special: you have arcane sight as a constant effect supernatural ability.
1: animate objects (duration is concentration)
3: detect thoughts
5: magic circle vs. chaos, evil, good, law
7: dimensional anchor
9: lesser planer binding
11: planer binding
13: limited wish
15: greater planer binding
17: summon elemental monolith
19: gate

5/27/2018 Edit: DCs were too low for Magic Scrolls, the idea was always that there was a risk of a scroll being expended if it's caster level was yours or higher. there is still a weird part from levels 11 to 13 where if you get ALL the bonuses and start with an INT of at least 18 you can autosucceed on CL 11 and 13 scrolls... but it works as intended at all other combinations of levels/items/feats/scores.

8/28/18 Edit: Retracted. Do not use this class unironically in any "balanced" game, because it just isn't balanced at all and was a bad idea to make this public. Oh well. I lived, and learned, and what I learned is that this class is dumb and shouldn't be used.
Last edited by Hicks on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

It's interesting but I don't see why I'd use this class over the Hicks Mage
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

So sorcerers trying to activate spells off of scrolls with UMD don't expend the scroll whether the roll succeeds or fails, and if successful uses their (usually) better save and caster level. And you should look into animate objects and their animaged objects, specifically their scalibility and utility. In nearly every way the sorcerer is better and more thematic than the hicks mage, and multiclasses much better, so I'm kinda puzzled why anybody would use the hicks mage over the hicks sorcerer for anything.

Honestly, this started as the Hicks Wizard and Sorcery was originally Wizardry, but as far as I know there is no summon spell that scales as well as animate objects, and that led to to the sorcerer's apprentice and the name change
Last edited by Hicks on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hicks wrote:So sorcerers trying to activate spells off of scrolls with UMD don't expend the scroll whether the roll succeeds or fails, and if successful uses their (usually) better save and caster level. And you should look into animate objects and their animaged objects, specifically their scalibility and utility. In nearly every way the sorcerer is better and more thematic than the hicks mage, and multiclasses much better, so I'm kinda puzzled why anybody would use the hicks mage over the hicks sorcerer for anything.

Honestly, this started as the Hicks Wizard and Sorcery was originally Wizardry, but as far as I know there is no summon spell that scales as well as animate objects, and that led to to the sorcerer's apprentice and the name change
All he said is why would he use this instead of that. It's a sensible argument for a character that has at will spells from the entire Wizard list with no limits.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.