Stealth (D&D)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Okay substantial rewrite.

Summary of changes:

1) Explicit definition of what counts as some guys detection zone.
2) Reason for people to not enter or leave stealthing. Also explicit statement of when it happens whether they like it or not.
3) Moved all the bonuses and penalties onto one side of the equation, mostly adding, to try to limit the complexity as much as possible, still very complex.
4) Fixed/Tried to fix problem where stealther always got a surprise round, even when they didn't "deserve one."
5) replaced fiddly +1 bonuses for 10ft with Range categories with more spaced bonuses to reduce fiddly counting and fiddly adding.
6) Replaced the -1 per action with a serious of wait timers (and all non wait actions have their own scaling bonuses), to reduce fiddly accounting per action.

Cleaned up wording in descriptions and changed it a lot, hopefully slightly more clear?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Re: Stealth (D&D)

Post by Mord »

The new edits are a vast improvement. One quibble:
Kaelik wrote:Adjacent is being either 5ft away, or within the same square as an object or creature.
Tight Range is being less than 60ft away, but more than 5ft away.
Middle Range is being more than 60ft away but closer than 300ft.
Far Range is being more than 300ft away but less than 1200ft away.
Outside Far Range is being more than 1200ft away from something.
I don't know how large an area you're used to playing in, but considering the standard scaling of 5' in game to 1" IRL, you're talking about things being in Tight Range of any given detector in a circle two IRL feet in diameter. That's going to be most of the table for most people.

Base speed for most races is 30', so you may want to consider making Tight Range 40' to give more opportunity for stealthers to skirt a detector's radius without being able to go from Middle to Adjacent and stab them in a single turn. Tight Range at 40' means that a human-speed stealther will have to end a minimum of 1 turn within Tight Range if they're trying to sneak up on a detector.

My recommendation is to drastically reduce the default detector ranges to allow for stealthers to attempt to weave a path through several detectors that can meaningfully increase their time spent undetected while still fitting on a standard 3' x 6' dining room table.

Adjacent: up to 5' away (0-1 squares)
Tight: up to 40' away (2-8 squares)
Middle: up to 50' away (9-10 squares)
Far: up to 60' away (11-12 squares)
Home Free: more than 60' away (13+ squares)
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Re: Stealth (D&D)

Post by Kaelik »

Mord wrote:The new edits are a vast improvement. One quibble:
Kaelik wrote:Adjacent is being either 5ft away, or within the same square as an object or creature.
Tight Range is being less than 60ft away, but more than 5ft away.
Middle Range is being more than 60ft away but closer than 300ft.
Far Range is being more than 300ft away but less than 1200ft away.
Outside Far Range is being more than 1200ft away from something.
I don't know how large an area you're used to playing in, but considering the standard scaling of 5' in game to 1" IRL, you're talking about things being in Tight Range of any given detector in a circle two IRL feet in diameter. That's going to be most of the table for most people.

Base speed for most races is 30', so you may want to consider making Tight Range 40' to give more opportunity for stealthers to skirt a detector's radius without being able to go from Middle to Adjacent and stab them in a single turn. Tight Range at 40' means that a human-speed stealther will have to end a minimum of 1 turn within Tight Range if they're trying to sneak up on a detector.

My recommendation is to drastically reduce the default detector ranges to allow for stealthers to attempt to weave a path through several detectors that can meaningfully increase their time spent undetected while still fitting on a standard 3' x 6' dining room table.

Adjacent: up to 5' away (0-1 squares)
Tight: up to 40' away (2-8 squares)
Middle: up to 50' away (9-10 squares)
Far: up to 60' away (11-12 squares)
Home Free: more than 60' away (13+ squares)
Yeah, that is absurd and definitely never going to happen.

I mean, I don't know where specifically your 5' 1" conversion ratio is coming from, but these numbers are absolutely supposed to apply in actual D&D games, where you have things like blindsense 30ft, 60ft, and 120ft, and fireballs from 1000ft away, and shit.

Saying that everyone is completely undetectable if they are 65ft away makes no sense in a game with Drow having 120ft Darkvision ranges.

If your grid is so large that it doesn't function for an actual D&D game, then your grid is non functional for D&D and I can't do anthing about it.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

What size IRL square do you use to represent an in-game 5' square?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mord wrote:What size IRL square do you use to represent an in-game 5' square?
As big as I want them to be for this map on my fancy computer?