So, Anime You Like Lately

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Konosuba.
The one trick spell pony mage that can cast the worlds biggest explosion spell and is otherwise completely useless.
The thief that can steal panties through pants.
The masochistic paladin tank . .
Appearantly enough fun that what you are talking about is actually probably the second season even.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Stahlseele wrote:Konosuba.
The one trick spell pony mage that can cast the worlds biggest explosion spell and is otherwise completely useless.
The thief that can steal panties through pants.
The masochistic paladin tank . .
Appearantly enough fun that what you are talking about is actually probably the second season even.
I just discovered the glory of humor that is this series
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Just finished Assassination Classroom.
Fuck that series, really! A series that for two seasons had been consistently a comedy suddenly switches tone and pulls a Minky Momo at the end without warning.

No, this isn't like the Lego Batman movie where a piece of entertainment makes you laugh, cry, and think (which is what GREAT entertainment is), this one felt cheap, the story robbed the protagonists of victory and reminded me of old 80's anime with "downer endings by decree" to teach Japanese kids to cope with loss and teach them how life isn't fair.

I already know the world is crap, I don't need fiction to remind me of that also, especially when I wanted a comedy.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Heh, I thought Assassination Classroom
Had a pretty happy ending all in all:
-All the kids survive.
-The earth doesn't get blown up, and pretty much zero collateral damage.
-All the kids learned valuable skills and have much brighter futures ahead of them than when their start state of "loser class", including but not limited to divorced parents getting back together.

That was the point of the story from the start. A bunch of school kids had no hope to ever be anyone or do anything important, just lazing around in class, and Koro-sensei gave every single one of them something to strive for.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Regarding Assassination Classroom....
There were only ever two ways that show could have gone; it was either going to be the neverending year of highschool ("oh god I've made something popular and now I'm afraid to let it go") or Koro-sensei was gunna fuggin' die ("I started this with a vision and I'm going to deliver it") - and they made it clear pretty quickly that time was actually going to advance. They set up Koro-sensei as one big walking deathflag from the word go, and as the story went on more and more deathflags just kept popping up all over his body, like some kind of malignant anime tumor. And I'm honestly glad they did it. I'm tired of seeing writers pull punches or chicken out. Kill your fucking characters, people. That said, I feel like the ending arc in general was not satisfyingly constructed. There's no actual payoff to the premise of the series; Koro-sensei defeats the big bad and then lets his students kill them. What the fuck was the point of running an Assassination Classroom other than the wacky shonen hijinks it enabled along the way? It is of literally zero consequence to the ending of the series, and that's just disappointing. You even built up Nagisa as having the instinct for that kind of thing, so the show really needed to end with Nagisa blindsiding Koro-sensei - and the audience - with a dramatic shanking. You'd have to reconstruct quite a bit of the ending to get there (for one, everyone needs to go into the final confrontation at peace with the fact that Koro-sensei can't be saved, otherwise it's just asshole Nagisa robbing everyone of closure for the sake of Grimderp).

But Assassination Classroom did not end with an actual assassination, and that's just unacceptable.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

DSMatticus wrote:
I'm tired of seeing writers pull punches or chicken out. Kill your fucking characters, people.
Fully agreed.
DSMatticus wrote:
That said, I feel like the ending arc in general was not satisfyingly constructed. There's no actual payoff to the premise of the series; Koro-sensei defeats the big bad and then lets his students kill them. What the fuck was the point of running an Assassination Classroom other than the wacky shonen hijinks it enabled along the way?
The point of the assassination classroom was to teach. Koro-sensei motivated each kid to learn and develop their own skills. Like a civil engineering classroom does not usually ends with the students constructing an actual building.

The assassination bit was just a carrot on a stick. "Develop your skills enough to beat me and you'll get filthy rich! Also save up the Earth and get famous and stuff. Now study harder, you only have one year to do it!".

That's also why Koro-sensei gets completely pissed off when Nagisa goes for suicide-bombing tactics right at the start. The assassination would've been completed, but the kids wouldn't really have learned anything useful and probably wasted the reward money away or have it stolen from.

FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Also, chalk me up as new fan of Konosuba, thanks for the recommendation!
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

The new BLAME! feature film just premiered on Netflix and it's really good. Production values are very high and a number of the action sequences, particularly the initial encounter with the Safeguards and the final combat sequence with Killy are extremely well done. It's a finely contained 90 minute piece.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

I've been enjoying My Hero Academia.

Sure it's bog standard shounen faire, but the animation is gorgeous, there hasn't been too much filler, and fights don't take more than two episodes to resolve. That said, they get one tournament arc. One. Anymore than that and I nope out immediately.

I like that it's a superhero universe where people get just one power. I've been getting tired of Marvel/DC style superheroes.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Mechalich wrote:The new BLAME! feature film just premiered on Netflix and it's really good. Production values are very high and a number of the action sequences, particularly the initial encounter with the Safeguards and the final combat sequence with Killy are extremely well done. It's a finely contained 90 minute piece.
I don't like what they did with Cybo, nor the animation style (it's in 3D CGI)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So Tiger Mask W has reached its conclusion - it was a pretty long series - and it was good. The story reached the end that everyone assumed it would do, but it was the right ending and felt good, IT'S ALMOST LIKE YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE TWISTS JUST TO SWERVE THE AUDIENCE AND CAN SIMPLY TELL A GOOD STORY, WWE.

And then they had a "blow-off" episode for some post-story comedy, but even there they managed to do some character development for Spring Tiger. And for Miss X too, really.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Mechalich wrote:The new BLAME! feature film just premiered on Netflix and it's really good. Production values are very high and a number of the action sequences, particularly the initial encounter with the Safeguards and the final combat sequence with Killy are extremely well done. It's a finely contained 90 minute piece.
Hope it did well enough for a continuation, Silicon Lifeforms and Domonchevsky!

icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I don't think it's exactly a new anime, but I watched some Samurai Flamenco with my new roommate (and the old one), ended up liking it despite the somewhat silly premise. We've actually been watching plenty of different anime that's been on my "anime I should watch" list for some time now, like the second season of Ghost in the Shell.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

I stumbled on this anime series called "The Reflection", which was created by Hiroshi Nagahama and Stan Lee.

The show has an interesting premise, the characters have cool powers and the artwork is an amazing high contrast style that's like Japanese animators channeling Alex Toth. Also, it takes place primarily in the US, where the dialogue is dubbed (with Stan The Man himself providing voicework), but part of the story takes place in Japan where the Japanese dialogue is kept intact with subtitles.

But here's the thing: the dubbing is just fucking awful. It's easily the worst I've heard since the US Rendition and Animeigo days. I usually opt to watch the dub over the subtitled versions when I can, but in this case I definitely recommend the subtitled version.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Not new, but Kouzuki no Reitetsu is great if you're into black comedy (the series' second season is underway, though)

Also, not new either, but I LOVED Gatchaman Crowds. Nice deconstruction of sentai teams with some interesting ideas. Great social commentary on how the system and the institutions have failed and people are going to have to take matters into their own hands if we're to get out of the hole (a MOST strange message coming from Japan, of all places). Also, seeing Galactor reimagined as a revolution of emergent economies and social media did amaze me. I'll start watching season 2 after I finish catching up with Daredevil and Defenders.

The message at the end is particularly necessary for a lot of people, dealing with
how you should be wary of the ulterior motives of anyone who offers you the kool-aid of "making the world a better place."
Last edited by Dogbert on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.