Hearthstone, Blizzard's mobile MTG type game

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Hearthstone, Blizzard's mobile MTG type game

Post by OgreBattle »

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

It's on browser and mobile. Think of it like MTG where you always get 1 mana every turn (up to) and there are no off-turn actions.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

There are off-turn actions, but they are limited to "secrets," which are specific-event-trigger interrupts. However, the list of secrets for any given class is only 3-4 cards, and unless you're playing in arena or the wood leagues it's pretty easy to guess what secret the other player has used.

I have a pretty good winrate in arena (enough that I generally get back my entry fee plus a bit), but I haven't played much recently. Game frankly feels a bit stagnant, though I'll likely poke my head back in now and then for some casual play or to check out the upcoming singleplayer campaign.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Is Mage bad at anything? They seem to have the answer for any kind of deck, able to take out big monsters or hordes with ease.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

OgreBattle wrote:Is Mage bad at anything? They seem to have the answer for any kind of deck, able to take out big monsters or hordes with ease.
Mage seems more reliant on drawing the right cards than some decks. I like Shadowform priests honestly. I wish there was a more MTG like ability to get the card you want.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Mage isn't bad at anything, but it struggles to be the best at anything. Their class commons are very powerful which makes them an excellent arena class. However, they're rarer to see in ranked play, especially since the current meta is very aggro-focused.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

What's a good ratio of mana cost of cards to stick to? Like how many onr mana, two mana, seven mana cards to have. Dies it vary with different classes
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

It varies wildly depending on deck goal. Aggro is heavy on low-cost cards, control is heavy on high-cost cards. Some classes due to concentration of good cards are heavier at certain mana levels. Paladin and Mage have big utility spikes at 4 mana, for example, and Hunter usually rocks a large ratio of 2 mana cards.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

http://ihearthu.com/

This place has a lot of information that could help.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

So, I'm playing a deathrattle priest, and I have to say: there's nothing in the world more evil than two Kel'Thuseds and Baron Rivendare. Unless you are playing against a mage who kept his polymorphs, there's nothing that can be done to your minions now.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Dunno if there is a more up to date Hearthstone thread (didn't see one on the first page of google search results) but I don't know anything about the game, but would like to beat (narrowly or severely) a friend who is playing a Druid deck. I know legit nothing about the game. Is this likely or not?

I have read some of the Shadowverse + Magic The Gathering Build threads, so I understand some of the relevant principles, and I've played some Magic The Gathering and Card Hunter.

Suggestions?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Jade Druid and Ramp Druid are vulnerable to aggro, Token Druid to control. None are likely to lose to a complete newb, partly because it's very hard to put together a properly competitive deck without at least a modest collection.

The easiest competitive deck for a newb to win with is probably Quest Rogue, which is as uninteractive as a deck gets and a cancer on the game.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

And if you really want to play competitive, you need to either join the aggro deck bandwagon or figure out something that deals well with aggro as the enemy.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Nope, don't want to play competitive. Just want to tease a friend. I'm willing to sink ~10-15 hours in.

Would Quest Rogue be fine against all 3 of Jade Druid---Ramp Druid and Token Druid, and anyone got a deck list of things to look for there?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Quest Rogue has a very bad matchup with aggro and an excellent match-up with anything else. Of the most popular druid archetypes, Token is aggro and will spank it pretty reliably. Unfortunately, while the deck doesn't have too many rares/epics, the quest itself is a Legendary, so you're not likely to get it with a minimal time investment. If you know someone else who's into the game, maybe you can use their account?
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:the quest itself is a Legendary
Going to need to replace Patches too. He's fantastic in Quest Rogue, but if crafting one legenedary is going to be stretching it, crafting two isn't going to be on the table.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

So when I asked my friend what sort of deck they play, they said they just built it using their own preferences and what they thought would work, rather than looking up a deck list.

So that should be decent sign for increasing the odds of my troll win?

I'm playing through this guide at the moment:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/co ... he_kraken/

Can people trade cards between each other in this game?