AS Char Sheet v11 & Complicated Combat

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

AS Char Sheet v11 & Complicated Combat

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I realized today that I made this back in april, but I haven't updated it since. I might as well post it since it's the most recent version of my attempts to shoehorn AS into a Retro/Stupid/Pretentious type game.

Some larger changes from AS's content: Universal Powers are now "Psychic"; as a means to make more clear the difference between them and sorceries. Lots of reshuffling and renaming of the creature types. Insertion of modified D&D 3e Knowledge skills to help give players an idea for Background skills. As well as general addition of clarifying "microtext" above most sub-sections to help new players understand both how to make a character and some ideas on how each sub-section is used for in gameplay.
The bigger concern for me is how to manage "complicated" combat for an RSP emulating game. The best solution that I've been able to think of is some sort of "blind bid" wherein players spend (up to) their Edge in combat actions (strike, block, posture, grapple; weapons: heavy & light), with actions that have a direct edge negating actions bid against them (but I don't have a way to fit in weapons; possibly Light > Grapple/Strike; and Heavy > Posture/Block).[/spoiler]
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.