Let's Play: Challenge of the Magi: Mage1

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Investigate the bodies.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You wander amongst the strangely-preserved bodies. You recognise several legendary figures from the history of the Rainbow Land. Lord Javhak of Mayhem, slain by Ilexmana, Mantillo the Magician, reputed to be the creator of the Ring of Summoning, some great Paladin and many others.

You know Mausolus to be a great necromancer, one of the lords of your order. This place is ripe for the use of certain death magics. You may cast the lesser magic of Raise the Dead here. If you do so, cross the spell of your sheet. One of the bodies' eyes flick open and it sits up slowly to stand beside you. You now have a zombie slave which will fight for you in combat. This gives you +1 in combat. You decide to leave the pleasant surroundings of the House of Mausolus and Invoke the Portals. You can go to the Caverns of Perdition or the Phoenix Crags, but you must WAIT(2) before doing so.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Is there any trigger word or anything to stop me revisiting and summoning another zombie? Summon one now, either way.

Phoenix Crags next. I can't get the sword, but I bet that hermit will talk to me.
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Sun May 28, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

There isn't, but I don't think the game designers expected that, otherwise you could have 6 Raise the Dead spells and get +6 in combat and be invincible. So I think I'm going to say there's a one zombie limit.

You are at the Phoenix Crags. You step out onto a ledge at the side of a great mountain. You can sense the presence of magic here. Red and blue spells may be cast in this area. Below you a chasm yawns, a thin sliver of blue marking the distant river at the bottom. Up above tower magnificent, awe-inspiring crags, clawing at the yellow skies with gnarled fingers. It makes your head spin to look up or down.

A path leads from the ledge to an easily accessible mountain slop on which rests a hut. Another goat trail winds up a great crag directly above you. This crag is also accessible by a straight climb upward. Behind you, a cave mouth opens invitingly. You may cast an Ambuscade here if you have one.

You can investigate the hut, follow the goat track, climb directly upwards or enter the cave, but you must WAIT(3) before you do so.
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Mon May 29, 2017 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Hut it up.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You ascend the slopes towards the hut. As you near it, an old man, white-bearded and wearing grey robes steps out to meet you. Something about him makes you feel uncomfortable. Will you attack him or talk to him? You must WAIT(4) before you do.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Talk.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The old man greets you, speaking in a surprisingly rich and resonant voice. 'I see you are one who would be Duelmaster. My powers are not inconsiderable - I could aid you, but first you must perform a certain task for me. I live here in the Crags with my daughter but the Efreet of the Palace of Flames hold no love for us. Some days ago they came upon us and with terrible magics stole my daughter from me. She now languishes in the dungeons of the Palace. Return her to me and I shall grant you a boon.' With that he gestures and you find yourself amidst the colours of the Nexus once more. You can travel now to the Scorched Sands of Akhneton, the House of Mausolus or the Forest of Arden. But you must WAIT(5) first.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Scorched Sands.

Did I get a codeword or anything to denote having this quest?
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Tue May 30, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You do, METAMORPHISIS, I'd been omitting some of those from posts because they are more back-end rules. Though, if you were playing normally you'd see them. I could put all those in in future if you'd prefer.
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Tue May 30, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I'd like them, sure. Anyway, onwards to. Scorched Sands, when my opponent ia ready.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You find yourself standing in an open expanse of desert. All around you stretches the endless sands, baking in the burning sun. Here a lively, vibrant civilization once thrived, but time, tragedy and sorcery reduced the land of Akhneton to desert. You sense that there is no colour magic in this area. no spells will work. Ahead of you, the desert runs into some sand dunes and to your right, some distance away, shimmering in the heat, some rocky hills swelter under the sun. You may investigate the hills or the dunes. You must WAIT(6), unless you have a STEED, in which case you can immediately turn to the next paragraph. Alternatively, you may WAIT(6) and Invoke the Portals and go to the Phoenix Crags or the Sacred Grove.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Dunes, carry on, fire!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You set out for the dunes. However, the shimmering heat causes a confusing mirage - the dunes are much further away than you first believed. The heat is terrible. Soon you are dry, dusty and desperate for water. The terrain is inhospitable. Nothing can live in this heat.

You drain the contents of your water bottle, it is now empty.

You may press on towards the dunes or Invoke the Portals and go to either the Phoenix Crags or the Sacred Grove. You must WAIT(7) before you do so.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Beyond the dunes you find a desert oasis but your joy soon turns to despair as you see that the palms and shrubs that surround it are stunted and wilted. the surface of the oasis pool is covered with slick, black oil, effectively poisoning the water below. You can either set fire to the oil, or Invoke the Portals and go to either the Phoenix Crags or the Sacred Grove You must WAIT(8) before you do so.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Firefirefire before he shows up!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You get flint and tinder to set the oil ablaze. Record the codeword ICE on your character sheet. It erupts into a crackling sheet of flame and black, oily smoke spirals into the clear desert sky.

Suddenly, a figure materializes, suspended above the flames. It is a powerfully-muscled man, clad only in a loincloth. His skin glows with heat and his eyes are like smouldering coals. You recognise a djinni. The djinni bows and then speak. 'I am yours to command, O Lord, for as long as i stand in these flames. What is your wish, Great Sultan?' You can hardly believe your luck. Will you order the djinni to give you gold, or to give you some magical artifact, or order him to attack your enemy forthwith? You must WAIT(9) before you turn to the next paragraph.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Magic aretfact. Threaten to make being an efreeti illegal once I become Duelmaster, if he tries to be cute about this.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The djinni takes on a wheedling tone. 'Surely a mage who seeks to become Duelmaster, for I can see you are such a one, would rather send me to fly across the land to confound his enemy. It is but a moment's work for one such as I to slay a mortal, Great Lord.' If you still wan the djinni to give you a magical artefact, you insist he do so until at last, reluctantly, e gestures and a bulging bag of golden cloth appears in his hand. 'This is the Bag of the Desert Zephyr,' he mutters. He hands it to you and then disappears in a puff of smoke. You know that the bag, when opened, releases a great gust of magical wind. This will negate the counterspell Extinguish. If you can cast Spirit of Flame it cannot now be countered. There is nothing else of interest to you. You Invoke the Portals. Will you go to either the Phoenix Crags or the Sacred Grove? You must WAIT (10) before you do so.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Sacted Grove.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The Sacred Grove is a large area of lightly-wooded meadows in the valley of the river Azurain. As you step from the portals the sun is about to set, throwing a warm blush of crimson and flame-orange over the trees and the grass. The great waterfall is turned pink in the evening light. Beyond the waterfall is a circle of oak trees and within them two concentric rings of standing stones. The Sacred Grove is a place of both white and green magic but it is here, within the standing stones, that the druids meet to perform the Rituals of Rebirth.

WAIT(11)

A large group of druids are walking towards the standing stones. Will you walk towards them, or investigate the waterfall?

If you prefer to move on from this place immediately you may Invoke the Portals. Where will you reappear next: the Scorched Sands of Akhneton, the Desolation of Ilexmanan the Aggrieved, or the Citadel of the Skull?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Investigate the waterfall.

No, wait, let's go meet the druids and mess with their shit, for dark side points.
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The druids are closing in around the circles of standing stones and they are joining the outer circle of stones with mistletoe in preparation for the great Rite of Rebirth. The sun sinks low above the two largest of the stones. When they are lined up with the setting sun the ceremony will begin. There is a heap of corn ears on the central stone, a symbol of fertility. Record the codeword Sapphire.

WAIT(12)

You may threaten to break the all-important ring as the sun hovers over the stones, link arms with two of them and join in or just wait until the moment comes and tear down some of the mistletoe.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Wait, and tear the mistletoe.

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

As you go to rip down the mistletoe it moves and then entwines itself around you. The grass suddenly grows up to the height of your waist and twists itself around your legs, holding you fast. You have ruined the Rite of Rebirth and the druids are furious. One suggests inflicting the Creeping Doom upon you, another leaving you entangled to rot, but in the end they just decide to rob you of an item, not a dagger. You must cross one of your list. They leave you helpless and the sun has long set before the grasses fall loose and you can step out of the imprisoning trap.

WAIT THREE TIMES (13, 14 and 15)

You Invoke the Portals to leave this haunting place. Where will you venture next: the Scorched Sands of Akhneton, the Desolation of Ilexmanan the Aggrieved of the Citadel of the Skull?

(Ouch. Your only item really is your new magic bag, the book always assumes you have flint and tinder and a waterbottle. Still, you've successfully eviled.)