Space Madness!

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

saidoro wrote:The wand rules don't exist yet, so this is speculative, but assuming that the mechanics match the fluff I don't think that Visualization being a Perception skill is a good design decision..
Visualization only covers wand ranges (to and from). The rules are currently vague enough, that one could readily imagine other skills being used for other uses of the wand.

I occasionally wish I had graphic design abilities, because then I could consider modifying extant character sheets for use in Space Madness!.
http://www.onesevendesign.com/agon/dagon_sheet.pdf
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WvCEPyj4-t0/U ... iche-1.jpg
Last edited by virgil on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

saidoro wrote:
Step 4: Specialize
All Rangers are unique, and take particular pride in their skills and equipment, particularly their wand. Players may select and two of the following to specialize their character:
The wand rules don't exist yet, so this is speculative, but assuming that the mechanics match the fluff I don't think that Visualization being a Perception skill is a good design decision. It's that one skill you use to do your best combat stuff and also that one skill you use to do all of your out of combat wizard shit, it's something that everyone is going to want the best dicepool they can manage for. That's not a huge balance problem since people can use Certs to switch it to their best stat so even low-perception characters can access some wizard shit, but it's pretty inelegant. The game might work better if you just used your best attribute for wizarding by default and there was some other perception skill filling in the slot.
Visualization is going to be a key skill for many wand functions, but not the only skill for wand functions.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Linear advancement at chargen and triangular advancement during play? You know nothing, Jon Snow.

There don't seem to be skills to support capitalism. How can we defend freedom in the spacelanes if we can't solve problems using business acumen?

Randolph "Randy" An, steely eyed hero of the spacelanes.

He's generically Asian, his parents were freedom fighters in some area now ruled by the Union-Republika, and resettled on Mars.
Inspirations: Howard Roark, Akito Tenkawa
Randolph "Randy" An, steely eyed hero of the spacelanes.

Backgrounds: Cadre, Martian
Order: Ordo Ares

Charisma: 9
Courage: 8
Intellect: 3
Perception: 3

Skills: Computing 1, Deception 2, Empathy 2, Intimidation 1, Law 5, Navigation 3, Persuasion 9, Screen 2, Survival 5, Visualization 4

Tags: Archaeology+, Azatha, Business+, History+, Linguistics, Old Esperanto, Psychology+, Martian Lore+, M’azatha, Sociology, Standard, Xenobiology, Xenotechnology

Certs: Mastery (Persuasion), Hardcore

Augmentations: one Free (he wants a neural lace, or the equivalent)
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Law and Persuasion. Also, I need to decide what name spacebux are going to go by.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Space credits. Kronor. Double dollars. Box tops?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

"Standard dollar" would be "norma dolaro" in Esperanto.

"norma valuto" - or "normvalo(s)"? The currency is "norma valuto" (in the sense that British currency is "Sterling") while a unit of that currency is a "norma dolaro" (in the sense that Sterling comes in Pounds?) The abbreviation would still be N$, for historical reasons?
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Going off of Praetor's idea on that, I can imagine it being corrupted from "Dolaro" to "Olar", and the symbol would be Φ.

Running commentary, in no particular order
* I personally love the cat angle you've taken here
* Survival (6) is given the example of indefinitely surviving on an alien world without equipment - does this cover stuff like volcanic vents and unbreathable atmospheres?
* Does it cost 6 or 8 CLP to raise an attribute from 6 to 7?
* Stress: Why is it stressful for a human to spend two days in a human community? What is the difference between solitary confinement & confined space? How long is a therapy session or downtime activity to reset the Stress Test Target? Do you need to exit the stressful condition to be able to receive therapy or unwind?

Character Creation
Let's go through character creation as written in the book.
Step 0 No work here, it's the baseline.
  • Charisma 1, Courage 1, Intellect 1, Perception 1
    Tags: Standard
Step 1 Choose two backgrounds. One restriction to keep in mind is that we can't choose any Certs w/prereqs, since it's mathematically impossible to meet them at this step (except Rapid Healing). Reading for combinations, I can't help but notice that when trying to maximize a single skill, you're not going to have a Lunar-Belter or Medical-Engineer or something similar, which is a really clever way to subtly encourage an 'organic' background.
  • Lunar Engineer
    Attributes 4/3/4/5
    Skills Computing 2, Deception 2, Engineering 4, Forensics 1, Law 1, Navigation 2, Pilot 2, Screen 2, Therapy 2, Visualization 4
    Tags Standard, Augmentations, Cat Lore, Chemistry, Lunar Lore, Advanced Physics, Psychology, Advanced Xenotechnology
    Certs Multitask
    Equipment Engineering Kit
Step 2 My obvious specialization from earlier essentially chooses my Order for me
  • Comet Guard
    Attributes 5/6/7/6
    Skills Computing 2, Deception 2, Engineering 7, Forensics 1, Intimidation 2, Law 1, Navigation 4, Pilot 2, Screen 5, Therapy 2, Visualization 4
    Tags Standard, Astronomy, Augmentations, Cat Lore, Chemistry, Demolitions, Espionage, History, Lunar Lore, Advanced Physics, Psychology, Advanced Xenotechnology
    Certs Multitask, Comet Guard Special (+2 Cavoritic functions)
    Equipment Engineering Kit, Lawkeeper (hopefully not a gun, because Combatives is 0), Zero Suit
Step 3 We don't really have an equipment list as of yet, so this will be skipped.
Step 4 If I wanted to just go crazy with Engineering, Mastery would be the best option (by a large margin), but would also be the least efficient CLP-wise. Raising Intellect or Engineering with my specialization is equal in CLP conversion to buying four tags, which I suspect was intentional. Triangular advancement combined with linear creation is surprisingly not much of a problem because stats are generated in grouped packages - I like it.
Step 5 Space Ranger Jouko "the Dog" Chennault is fiercely loyal and tends to deflect personal questions concerning signs of weakness.
Last edited by virgil on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Been busy the last couple of weeks, I need to pick this up again. Debating ditching triangular advancement for linear, have to work the angles a bit.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

virgil wrote: * Does it cost 6 or 8 CLP to raise an attribute from 6 to 7?
8. I've fixed the table and some other little things you mentioned, although I'm still meditating on just going to a flat advancement tax.

Added a couple Certs. Really need to get back into finishing this.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

virgil wrote: * Stress: Why is it stressful for a human to spend two days in a human community?
"Hell is other people" - Jean-Paul Sartre
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Also, so that everyone makes stress tests periodically.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Added a couple certs, and travel. 40.3k Next up: Space Combat
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Added/modified some bits on travel, especially Pilot v. Navigation Tests. That made me realize I had to go back and add a rider about certs vis-a-vis Group Tests/Contests. Still need a section on vehicles, space combat. 41.2k
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Fiddled with vehicle combat, and ultimately didn't want to write a separate minigame or bring acceleration/deceleration/delta v into it; scrapped the ideas I had for making space combat more complicated, ended up deleting it. 41.6k, time to move on to wands and wand mechanics.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

First part of the Wands section; still a good bit more to do, as Wand Functions are the meat of the setting, and I'm still fine-tuning some of the mechanics in my head, based on conversations with Frank. 42.2k.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Finished the last of the pre-wand function wand mechanics - basically, attuning and charges. Also added a couple certs. 43k.

Next up, what everyone's waiting for, the wand functions...
erik
King

Post by erik »

I'm inspired to start working on a little something.

Detail, ink, and probably color, will follow. That's a starting concept sketch whose notion has been a bug in my mind for a couple months.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Testing: Take 1, 2, & 3.
Last edited by virgil on Tue May 30, 2017 3:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

I gotta say I like the abstract/gravity field one a lot more than the pulp covers. Maybe I've just played too much Fallout, but I just can't appreciate the aesthetic.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I like the pulp aesthetic just fine, but I also think the abstract is the best of those.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

This isn't dead, I've just been busy with Howard Days, which involves a 15-hour drive to Texas, enough Texas barbecue to kill a Yankee, and another 15-hour drive back. Once my colon has recovered from the intestinal ravages of a 96-hour diet of Dr. Pepper, chicken-fried steak, German sausage, spicy beans, spicy corn, and unidentifiable beef products, I will resume.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

That can't be much barbecue. I've been a Yankee trapped in Texas for over 15 years now, and two plates will probably come close.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Still fiddling with the basics of wand mechanics, as I want the different categories to be distinct but not unbalanced. So far have one beam function and one level 1 function written up. In a more perfect world, I'd come up with a Shadowrun-style formula design process, but I don't know if I have the juice for that, so I'm keeping it idiosyncratic. 44k
Ancient History
Serious Badass

A few more functions up. Still really struggling with some of the basic concepts, which I should have devoted more forethought to. 44.8k
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Finally finished the Azathoth Field functions - which turned out to be a bit messier and more complicated than I wanted; anyone that wants to take a gander at the six wand functions and tell me where I've gone wrong, that would be useful before I get started on the next one.