Saves Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +4
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 3)
At will - detect magic, hypnotism (DC 13), nondetection
3/day - thought shield
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills Hide +10, Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats Alertness, Improved Initiative
Challenge Rating 3(?)

Ethereal Jaunt (Su) A taino can shift from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane as part of any move action, and then shift back again as a free action. The ability is otherwise identical to the spell of the same name.
Eat Thoughts (Su) A living and corporeal creature touched by a taino loses some of its thoughts. If the victim is a spellcaster, she loses a single spell prepared, or a single unused spell slot (if she is a spontaneous spellcaster) of 1st level or higher. A spellcaster chooses which spell or spell slot she loses from this ability. If the victim is not a spellcaster or has no prepared spells or unused spell slots of 1st-level or higher, on a failed saving throw this ability instead deals 1 point of Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma damage (victim's choice).
Mass Memory Lapse (Sp) Can be cast up to 3/day. Similar to the spell. Will target up to 3 creatures, no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart. Affected targets forget what happened from the casting of the spell back to the beginning of the caster's last turn. On a successful save, the target is immune to that taino's use of the spell for 24hr. This counts as a 5th level spell, and the save DC is Charisma based.
Last edited by virgil on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

So it's a CR 3 monster that ambushes the party, does... one point of ability damage, and then either dies to ready action attacks or walks away?

Why would you ever run this monster?
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

spongeknight wrote:Why would you ever run this monster?
Same reason anyone would run any of the swift ethereal jaunt/ambush monsters
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Or tiefling rogue7/Soul Eater2 with a couple flaws, Willing Deformity, Deformity (Tall), Deformity (Gaunt), Aberration Blood, Deepspawn, and Deformity (Face).
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Appearance is secondary. The primary focus was trying to see if I can get the memory loss and ethereal jaunt power to work right, combined with nondetection not allowing see invisible to work against it. Adding an additional threat/attack is certainly an idea, as the Eat Thoughts power is mostly tacked on.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Part of my problem with the original stat block is the creation of a new ability for Eat Thoughts, when it could be well represented with energy drain and maybe a small ability drain power.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Prak wrote:Part of my problem with the original stat block is the creation of a new ability for Eat Thoughts, when it could be well represented with energy drain and maybe a small ability drain power.
It's the exact same ability as the one possessed by Pathfinder's thought eater.
Last edited by virgil on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hm.... fair, but I still think energy drain would work fine.

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Potentially considering this option, but it might be too much complexity to introduce an entire new condition for a single monster.
Mental Fatigue - A mentally fatigued character cannot Take 10 on skill checks and takes a -2 penalty on Intelligence & Charisma. Doing anything that would normally cause mental fatigue causes the mentally fatigued character to become mentally exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, mentally fatigued characters are no longer mentally fatigued.

Mental Exhaustion - A mentally exhausted character cannot Take 10 on skill checks, is always considered distracted/flanked, and takes a -6 penalty to Intelligence & Charisma. After 1 hour of complete rest, a mentally exhausted character becomes mentally fatigued. A mentally fatigued character becomes mentally exhausted by doing something else that would normally cause mental fatigue.
Last edited by virgil on Thu May 04, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.