it's... d&d adventure card game?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shlominus
Journeyman

it's... d&d adventure card game?

Post by shlominus »

http://dragonfirethegame.com/

seems reasonable. the only question is why did they wait 4 years to copy paizo in doing something like this?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Re: it's... d&d adventure card game?

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

shlominus wrote:the only question is why did they wait 4 years to copy paizo in doing something like this?
I imagine they started to copy Paizo immediately, but the D&D division has barely any staff, which makes production pretty slow.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

With that Catalyst logo at the bottom, is WotC staff an issue? Anyone know who 'Randall' is in the dev blog?

Ah. From the last couple lines 'working closely with great folks at Wizards,' we have yet another outsourced product. Set in the FR along the sword coast, of course. The only section of all their IPs they bother to use.

Based on Shadowrun: Crossfire, and lots and lots of unanswered questions about the game and even when it will exist. Pretty useless FAQ.
Last edited by Voss on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

Interesting...but why the heck are they outsourcing this card game, when they have the MtG department one floor over?
Voss wrote:Set in the FR along the sword coast, of course. The only section of all their IPs they bother to use.
Its the same with Paizo... if there's a new game or thing they make, you can be reasonably sure that it features the shitty town of Sandpoint from RotRL, with the same art and the same NPCs and the same plot hooks.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

I didn't even know the Paizo one was a thing. Is it any good in physical or digital form?
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Pedantic
Journeyman

Post by Pedantic »

TarkisFlux wrote:I didn't even know the Paizo one was a thing. Is it any good in physical or digital form?
The digital form is a pretty decent tablet or phone casual game for a single player. The multiplayer coop in real life is a bit dull, and the rulebook is a poorly written mess, so it can be difficult to resolve corner cases.

I generally preferred the cooperative warhammer fantasy card game that FFG put out a while ago for the same itch, if I'm playing with other people.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Antariuk wrote:Interesting...but why the heck are they outsourcing this card game, when they have the MtG department one floor over?
Voss wrote:Set in the FR along the sword coast, of course. The only section of all their IPs they bother to use.
Its the same with Paizo... if there's a new game or thing they make, you can be reasonably sure that it features the shitty town of Sandpoint from RotRL, with the same art and the same NPCs and the same plot hooks.
Eh.
They also use Cheliax, Ustalav, and the 'World Wound' more than a little. But then, almost everywhere else is a horribly anachronistic expy of a real world place, and the tech level shifts when you cross the border. Though Ustalav is also generically stereotypical Transylvania.

But yeah, I had the same thought. They've got (one of) the biggest CCG teams in house, and they turned to to the Shadowrun Mismanagement Team. The D&D line must literally be made of poison at this point.
Last edited by Voss on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Voss
Catalyst.
Randall.
Bills?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
TheFlatline
Prince

Re: it's... d&d adventure card game?

Post by TheFlatline »

shlominus wrote:http://dragonfirethegame.com/

seems reasonable. the only question is why did they wait 4 years to copy paizo in doing something like this?
Link doesn't work.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

The link doesn't seem to be working.

If they outsourced to CGL, then that Randall is probably Bills. Any other unfamiliar names in that blog, or could someone post me a link?
shlominus
Journeyman

Post by shlominus »

it worked when i posted it.

http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2017/04 ... ding-game/

links to the same page though. ;)
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Stahlseele wrote:@Voss
Catalyst.
Randall.
Bills?
Buffalo or Dollar?
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Voss wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:@Voss
Catalyst.
Randall.
Bills?
Buffalo or Dollar?
One of Catalyst Game Lab's 'owners' (not sure if Coleman is still the only one or not) is Randall N. Bills.

Thanks for the new link shlominus.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Voss wrote:
Antariuk wrote:Interesting...but why the heck are they outsourcing this card game, when they have the MtG department one floor over?
Eh.
They also use Cheliax, Ustalav, and the 'World Wound' more than a little. But then, almost everywhere else is a horribly anachronistic expy of a real world place, and the tech level shifts when you cross the border. Though Ustalav is also generically stereotypical Transylvania.

But yeah, I had the same thought. They've got (one of) the biggest CCG teams in house, and they turned to to the Shadowrun Mismanagement Team. The D&D line must literally be made of poison at this point.
MtG actually makes Wizards money, while D&D was originally acquired as a cool thing that the Wizards' employees were fans of.

I can't imagine they make much money off of D&D at all right now (where are the splatbooks) and as they're #1 in the industry I can't imagine the market being very good. They still have no answer to people just grabbing Skyrim and playing that instead, and quite frankly it's just not a good enough game to play with randos.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

I'm well aware. It's that they turned from a recognizable property that they also sell into something they never talk about and refuse to make products for. Even the (remaining) staff that theoretically have jobs to make D&D products.* It's a pretty impressive shift.

*though their actual jobs seem to be 'watch interns make digital scans of tsr products, and con other companies into handing over small licensing fees'