Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

1) I thought that game only had reputation with factions, not alignment.

2) IIRC, if you are disguised as another faction, any bad acts you perform don't effect you.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

New Vegas has both Karma and Reputation. The thing about the karma is that you will gain karma for actions that are pretty much non-optional: such as killing always hostile enemies like Feral ghouls, certain gang members and Fiends. meanwhile losing karma for killing 'good' characters is faction dependent. Those design choices make it somewhat more difficult to keep karma down.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

That, and I'm mostly doing good actions. And when you think about it, I'm preventing people from allowing materialism from taking over their lives by stealing literally everything. Like the energy weapon shop owner in Eastside. She told me to off one of my friends, I popped a stealth boy, stole everything in her shop, then sold it back to her. Now I have energy weapon ammo out the ass.

I liked the merchant in the Brotherhood of Steel place. She told me that she was going to get in trouble because someone stole a weapon, so I popped a stealth boy, stole the shop key, stole everything in her shop, then sold it back to her. Now I have cool BoS armor and weapons.

I tried to steal the vault suits out of the closet of the chick that collects them, unfortunately she wouldn't take them back...

Also, if I decide to kill off Mr. House, will I be able to keep my room at the 38? I like having all of my bros, femmebros, and botbros hanging out in one place. I've already stolen everything of value from there.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

killing off House is one of the intended endings.
And what does the protagonist in every fallout do in the end?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

You do get to keep the room if House bites it. I mean, what's he gonna do about, haunt you out of your lease?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

yeah, but depending on when you do it, you may get to keep it for all of 5 minutes . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Reminds me of Kotor, where you don't get any dark side points for breaking and entering into people's home and stealing their stuff, but you do get it when asking for payment for a good deed.

The office of the developers should be really weird:
"Where the printer?"
"I took it"
"Ok, fine."
"By the way, I'd like to get paid for the extra hours I've spent to fix bugs in time for the release"
"You're a terrible person"
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

That sounds like my current office. Hijack office supplies? Yeah, whatever, here's the company card, go to Staples. Work overtime and expect your paycheck to reflect it? That's just not how our company is structured.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
K
King

Post by K »

Original Starcraft is free right now in preparation of the Remastered edition coming out:https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20674424
Last edited by K on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Anyone play FFTA2 who can give me some tips? I'm having trouble with one of the story quests (the one with the goddamn antlion that hits like a truck and heals for the exact same amount of damage). Basically I can't beat him down fast enough before all my peeps are dead. I've tried googling it, but I can't seem to find anything that doesn't involve insane amounts of grinding (yes, I'm sure a level 40 party would stomp the shit out of a level 17 story quest, that doesn't help) or having abilities for weapons that are not available (I've been religious with the bazaar but I typically only have 1-3 abilities per class. I'm sure teaching Luso dual wield would help a lot but I don't have 4 things that will teach thief abilities, and even if I did I don't have the weapon that teaches it).

The only thing I know about random encounters is that it has something to do with that auction thing, and I'm sure I lost all my territories because the game spawned groups that were 5-6 levels above me and they proceeded to stomp a mudhole in my clan's collective ass.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Mechalich wrote:New Vegas has both Karma and Reputation. The thing about the karma is that you will gain karma for actions that are pretty much non-optional: such as killing always hostile enemies like Feral ghouls, certain gang members and Fiends. meanwhile losing karma for killing 'good' characters is faction dependent. Those design choices make it somewhat more difficult to keep karma down.
More difficult, but not impossible. You can just be a massive asshole to everyone.
Kaelik wrote:1) I thought that game only had reputation with factions, not alignment.

2) IIRC, if you are disguised as another faction, any bad acts you perform don't effect you.
Karma doesn't really impact anything except the endings. If you have Postive Karma, the ending narration talks you up. If you have negative karma, the ending narration, mentions what a giant asshole you are at every turn.

This modifies the faction endings slightly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I loved Fallout 1 and 2.
And Even Fallout Tactics.
Because there was no limit as to who you could and could not kill.
The german Version got a patch that removed blood and children from the game for that reason.
But you could play like that still, if all your character wanted was his god damn peace and quiet!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote:I loved Fallout 1 and 2.
And Even Fallout Tactics.
Because there was no limit as to who you could and could not kill.
The german Version got a patch that removed blood and children from the game for that reason.
But you could play like that still, if all your character wanted was his god damn peace and quiet!
Funny thing, the fallout II no-children patch didn't actually remove the children. It just made them invisible.

There are children in certain places that pick your pockets. They still do this, you just don't know it and can't stop them.

You can, however, empty your inventory of everything except for an armed bomb, and they will pickpocket it from you.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, i know.
It also meant that you could get stuck because the pathing AI back then was, understandably, atrocious.
Including the invisible children.
So if one of them stood in a doorway and you were in the room without another exit, you were basically fucked.
But eh, i installed a blood and children patch anyway.
Quite a lot of bad karma for harming the two legged rats it turned out.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Anyone play FFTA2 who can give me some tips?
It's been a long time since I played that game, but I vaguely remember that quest. I think I stocked up on Phoenix Downs and used Item as most of the party's secondary skill. I might have tried some action-denial status moves as well like immobilizing him and backing off to heal up. Sorry I can't be more specific or confirm that it actually worked. I beat the quest somehow but I only played through once right after it came out.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I ended up beating him by realizing I had three bangaa, all three of which could be hitting its elemental weakness as well as heal (I generally don't heal in most cases because I find it's more useful to kill things before you take enough damage to warrant it). So yeah, three bishops (technically one was a dragoon that happened to have bishop skills learned), a fighter, and a paladin made the fight much more manageable.

I've also gotten pretty good at the auction houses and now have some early end game gear (except for Goug because seriously fuck the Goug auction house. I don't step foot in it until I can buy massive amounts of tokens before the auction). Kind of hitting a slow point in my late 20s though, I don't have as many abilities as I'd like. Especially for all my staff users, but I've heard from several places that FTA2 does NOT like to give you staves, especially white mage staves. Thus far my dreams of turning Luso into the Doubleking with Magic Frenzy has not been productive as I'm stuck on 3 white mage abillities.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Total Warhammer II coming. High/Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and probably Skaven too!

They will also release a super campaign map that combines the previous game's races in one gigantic brawl, free it seems for those that got the first Total Warhammer.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Meanwhile, in an Equestria not far away from you:
https://www.facebook.com/polygon/videos ... 399090716/
The My Little Pony / Street Fighter crossover you never knew you wanted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them%27s_Fightin%27_Herds
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I'm playing Persona 5 on hard completely blind. I haven't had trouble yet (baton pass>you) but I do feel like I've spent a 1/3rd of my play time checking the vending machines for new drinks.
bears fall, everyone dies
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

Whipstitch wrote:I'm playing Persona 5 on hard completely blind. I haven't had trouble yet (baton pass>you) but I do feel like I've spent a 1/3rd of my play time checking the vending machines for new drinks.
Rank up Death Arcana. You can buy items that restore SP each turn from rank 5 (though they are expensive). Once you have even one the gameplay...changes. It is largely expected that you will do this.

Also get a persona with Swift Strike (Matador has it), and keep inheriting it. It is the murder god skill for basically the entire midgame.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

The shitty 5e launch mini-module? The fuck?

Pretty good editing toolset though, not sure about creating the maps, but the monster editor is nice.

Still, a shame about the mutant chickens masquerading as lizardmen.
Last edited by Voss on Tue May 09, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Voss wrote:The shitty 5e launch mini-module? The fuck?
Do you think WotC would have allowed them to use an older module here? This is a PR action, on both sides.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

GALAXY FIGHT IS COMING TO THE SWIIIIIIITCH

hurrah for the return of NEO GEO

http://nintendoeverything.com/galaxy-fi ... on-switch/
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Dungeons 2 free on humble bundle for the next hours.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.