The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
ROSSR: Little Wars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: ROSSR: Little Wars Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Welcome welcome, fair denizens. To this, what I should expect to be the first ROSSR, what does the R stand for, well that r stand for really, because today, we're going back, way, way back. How far back is way back, well, allow me set the stage for you.

The year is 1913, and H.G. Wells was having lunch with his friend "in a room littered with the irrepressible debris of a small boy’s pleasures" (I will be quoting directly a lot because this book is in the public domain, and the prose is- just amazing), and he and his friend decided to amuse themselves by playing with a toy gun, firing at toy soldiers and attempting to knock them down. It was at this point that he began to think of a new, more complex and engaging sort of game, one where you would move your soldiers around and fight battles. And so, did H.G. Wells set out to invent the table top war game.

Yes, that H.G. Wells

That's right humble denizens, today we will be taking a look at the game that started it all, the oldest, surviving, table top wargame to be codified and written down. This should be a real fun one, and fairly relaxed, too, it's not an exceptionally long volume, and it reads nothing like the dry legalistic works of modern game manuals.

So, join me, as I explore;
Little Wars: A Game for Boys From Twelve Years of Age to One Hundred and Fifty and For That More Intelligent Sort of Girl Who Likes Boys’ Games and Books

This is actually the full title, damn Mr. Wells. Shots fired.

First up: the history of little wars.

Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.

Last edited by darkmaster on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Josh_Kablack
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ROSSR: Little Wars Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

darkmaster wrote:
. And so, did H.G. Wells set out to invent the table top war game.

To be precise, Little Wars was NOT the first tabletop wargame -von Reiswitz had developed Kreigspiel 101 years earlier. Little Wars was however the first such game to be published as a book.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kreigspiel was a wargame, and it does a lot of things modern wargames, rpgs, and board games do today. However, I make the distinction that Kreigspiel was a wargame in the literal sense, and was a teaching tool for officers. Where as Little Wars was intended as an actual game for people to play and have fun. I know it's semantic and your point is valid, in fact Wells himself would agree with you and says as much in the book (though he also says his game is better). But for my money, this is where wargames as we think of them start.

Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.

Last edited by darkmaster on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loved reading both Little Wars, and about Kriegespiele; but I've never been able to see a copy of the rules for the latter. While the former's rules are fairly loose guidelines by comparison.
deaddmwalking
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looking forward to this.
hogarth
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found the rules to Little Wars to be pretty bland, but there was a certain novelty value to reading them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: