The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Trump Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiram McDaniels
Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei wrote:
To be honest, a lot of people are sufficiently stupid that you probably could get more support for renewable energy if you don't use words like "renewable", "green" or "environment" and only focus on words like "cheap", "affordable", "in great supply", "ready for exploitation" and so on. I mean, people avoid "Energy-Saving, Environmentally Friendly" lightbulbs but really like those "Longer lasting, more light less waste" ones. Which are in fact the same thing.

Jesus fuck, who doesn't want a lightbulb that lasts 10,000 hours?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hiram McDaniels wrote:
Koumei wrote:
To be honest, a lot of people are sufficiently stupid that you probably could get more support for renewable energy if you don't use words like "renewable", "green" or "environment" and only focus on words like "cheap", "affordable", "in great supply", "ready for exploitation" and so on. I mean, people avoid "Energy-Saving, Environmentally Friendly" lightbulbs but really like those "Longer lasting, more light less waste" ones. Which are in fact the same thing.

Jesus fuck, who doesn't want a lightbulb that lasts 10,000 hours?

People who hear the lightbulb saves the enviroment. Sort of like how literally everything the Trump campaign is doing right now to dismantle and destroy climate research, when you have an ideological opposition to admitting that the enviroment matters, you make dumb decisions that spite yourself because you want to spite other people more.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sigil
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's also an assumption on many people's parts that if a product is advertised as being environmentally friendly that to achieve that they somehow compromised in some other way. That it either works worse than it could or that its more expensive than it otherwise would be. Part of it's anti-environment propaganda at work, but part of it is probably just poor reasoning (something along the lines of: They advertised environmentally friendliness on the box > They only advertise features as selling points to make money > The cost to develop a new lightbulb probably had a fixed price based on a budget > They spent some of that money making it environmentally friendly instead of whatever else they could do > I don't care about that, so this lightbulb wastes my money).

Though they probably aren't doing that consciously, they've essentially been trained by advertising to react in stupid and counterintuitive ways.
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/white-house-installs-political-aides-at-cabinet-agencies-to-be-trumps-eyes-and-ears/2017/03/19/68419f0e-08da-11e7-93dc-00f9bdd74ed1_story.html
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OgreBattle wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:
Breitbart posts leaked audio from October of Ryan saying he won't defend Trump now, or in the future. Note: link goes to Breibart. Click at your own peril.

Is he the guy who's secretly for green energy and got texas to build wind farms by not mentioning the environment at all

You're thinking of Rick Perry. Paul Ryan is a former worshiper of Ayn Rand, but stopped when he found out she was an atheist. He still clings to her overall assholish tendencies, though.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After the stunt he pulled during the election it seemed as if there were no depths to which Comey wouldn't sink on ideological grounds, but now things are looking different, at least to me. Am I being too optimistic, or outright barking up the wrong tree, or are we watching the redemption of James Comey?

https://www.lawfareblog.com/how-read-what-comey-said-today
Chamomile
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's entirely possible that Comey's angle is to launch an investigation, make some hay about it, and then at some politically convenient time (in the runup to an election where Russian connections are being used against the Republican Party in general or Trump specifically) release a report that conclusively states nothing was found. Or he might be part of the efforts to "drain the swamp" by imprisoning any effective opposition leadership by fabricating connections between them and Russia. The blog post tries to make the conclusion that James Comey is for-sure committed to this investigation and that it will be bad for the president and the people around him, but there's plenty of other ways this could pan out.
Voss
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Schleiermacher wrote:
After the stunt he pulled during the election it seemed as if there were no depths to which Comey wouldn't sink on ideological grounds, but now things are looking different, at least to me. Am I being too optimistic, or outright barking up the wrong tree, or are we watching the redemption of James Comey?

https://www.lawfareblog.com/how-read-what-comey-said-today

Nope. You're looking at a guy who won his game. He's got his Republican Congress, and he'll get his stacked Supreme Court. Whether some flunky in the Trump transition team or even White House team gets a slap on the wrist or even tarred and feathered makes no nevermind to him. Even hinting that Trump is on the short bus with the spurious wiretapping claim isn't a big deal, because it doesn't change the fact that his side is quite firmly entrenched.

His blatantly partisan goals are fulfilled already. He can fuck around having agents chase after Russian patsies and still drink his celebratory bottle of champagne. Personally, I suspect he likes RPing that he's Cigarette Guy from the X-Files, and doesn't give a shit if he gets actual work done now or not.
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Comey's only goal at this point is to not go to prison. He succeeded in his coup, the people he wanted in power are in power. All he has to do is to avoid an angry mob cutting his head off. I'm surprised he doesn't retire.

-Frank
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hell, it's altogether possible he's part of the branch of the Republican party that wants to be rid of Trump, have Pence take over, and go back to Bush-era Republicanism, without weird TV personalities being leaders. So if he can find anything that puts Trump in prison, he'd go ahead with that, without any kind of suggestion that the results of the election are null and void, just the basic "Okay, we definitely caught the bad guy. Now calm down, relax, you don't need an angry mob, just let the Republicans - the sensible ones - run things for the next 4 8 10,000 years."
DSMatticus
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Comey is a Bush Republican. His goal was to hand Republicans the Senate, and in doing so he accidentally put Trump in the White House. That is obviously not a fail state for his agenda, but it likely wasn't something he predicted as even being possible, and now that it's happened his goal is to minimize the political damage of the Russian investigation to the Republican party without giving up leverage over Trump. Trump, meanwhile, is likely too stupid to realize Comey is his leash and can essentially provide the basis for impeachment proceedings whenever congressional Republicans need him to. The status quo of Trump being under investigation is going to continue until political expedience forces the resolution one way or the other.

The only relevant politics for the foreseeable future are factional politics within the Republican party, so get comfortable thinking along those lines.
OgreBattle
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So why is Britain spying on Trump and siding with Obama to undermine America
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

DSMatticus wrote:
The only relevant politics for the foreseeable future are factional politics within the Republican party, so get comfortable thinking along those lines.

So, is the only viable way for liberals to push their agenda stall the republicans to just drive the wedge, whenever they can?
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
DSMatticus wrote:

So, is the only viable way for liberals to push their agenda stall the republicans to just drive the wedge, whenever they can?

The scary thing is that to drive the wedge often you need the give voice and legitimacy to the ultra crazy wing. And the nightmare scenario is that it tips too far and you get a Trump outcome. You don't want your wedge to cause the conservative side to give up and join the radical side.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All liberals need to push their agenda is to have free and fair elections.

The problem being, that part of their agenda is free and fair elections, and absent a very specific decision from Kennedy that he won't make, we aren't going to have anything close to free and fair elections for the next 14 years.

So you know. We are fucked.
Shrapnel
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OgreBattle wrote:
So why is Britain spying on Trump and siding with Obama to undermine America

That's why.

RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Manafort secretly aided a Russian billionaire to advance Putin's interests a decade ago. Manafort and the Trump administration lied about this, of course.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trump's explanation for his ridiculous claims: "I am president, you're not"

Just in case there were still some people who don't see him as a man-child.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that the GOP failed to get the votes for the AHCA, let's see how long Trump sticks to his whole "now or never" gambit. I can see him trying to change the subject in the short term to avoid admitting defeat at failing to make a deal.

I'm curious how wretched GOPcare 2.0 is going to be.
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a shame. The ACHA is a strong first step toward a single-payer healthcare system.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hyzmarca wrote:
It's a shame. The ACHA is a strong first step toward a single-payer healthcare system.

I've decided that my golden scenario is:

0) Republicans do the absolute minimums of murders in the next couple years/4 years.

1) Midterms, because of how travestically incompetent Trump and Republicans are, ends with a Dem senate.

2) Kennedy retires on literally the day Scalia died of Trump's last term.

3) Democrats say "Man it sure would be a shame if Trump didn't get any hearings on his nominee."

4) Then dems get to appoint someone after 2020, and also we pass the Merrick Garland Act of 2021, which is where we add "two" seats to the SC, one for Merrick Garland, and one for "Anti-Gorsuch" where it's just a vote that is opposite of Gorsuch on all decisions until the end of time. Also Single Payer, also then we have comprehensive voting reform.

I mean, obviously none of that is going to happen (except maybe that first one), but that is my dream scenario.
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kaelik wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:

0) Republicans do the absolute minimums of murders in the next couple years/4 years.

1) Midterms, because of how travestically incompetent Trump and Republicans are, ends with a Dem senate.

3) Democrats say "Man it sure would be a shame if Trump didn't get any hearings on his nominee."

4) Then dems get to appoint someone after 2020, and also we pass the Merrick Garland Act of 2021, which is where we add "two" seats to the SC, one for Merrick Garland, and one for "Anti-Gorsuch" where it's just a vote that is opposite of Gorsuch on all decisions until the end of time. Also Single Payer, also then we have comprehensive voting reform.

I mean, obviously none of that is going to happen (except maybe that first one), but that is my dream scenario.

While not as desireable as your golden scenario, I find it more likely that the ACHA would pass, resulting in the prediced health insurance death spiral and the complete implosion of the health care system nationwide, forcing the government to step in and rebuild everything from the ground up.
Omegonthesane
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hyzmarca wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:

While not as desireable as your golden scenario, I find it more likely that the ACHA would pass, resulting in the prediced health insurance death spiral and the complete implosion of the health care system nationwide, forcing the government to step in and rebuild everything from the ground up.

What makes you think a Republican government would bother? What do they lose from having everyone who isn't them die?
Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.
FrankTrollman wrote:
As far as death and human misery goes, Tobacco is basically World War II grinding on forever with no real sign of stopping in our life times. Death camps and nuclear bombs and stuff are certainly dramatic, but public health crises are always and forever bigger than wars on the global scale.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Omegonthesane wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:

What makes you think a Republican government would bother? What do they lose from having everyone who isn't them die?

Everyone who is them would also die.
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In the long run. But in the long run, everyone is dead. The Republican policies are all about short-term gain for the few at the expense of long-term loss for everybody.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 21 of 30

Jump to: