The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
virgil
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 5833

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FrankTrollman wrote:
virgil wrote:
What's the main/biggest RPG that uses the resolution system where you roll multiple dice, but only keep the highest; against a difficulty that does the same thing (rather than a fixed TN)? It's not a proper dice pool, like Shadowrun, since you're not counting hits. It's not Deadlands or Savage Worlds, since that's a fixed TN.
5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons.
I'm fairly certain that 5E still has fixed DCs though - your attack roll is against an AC, not a dodge roll(s). I mean for the system to be where you generally don't have a TN or DC or whatever, but instead you describe the difficulty as "highest of 2d8."
_________________
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


Last edited by virgil on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prak
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 15955

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How many decks is too many for a non-collectable party card game, of the Cards Against Humanity/Apples to Apples play style?
_________________
Dean, on Paranoia wrote:
The book is a hardbound liars paradox.


Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.


FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GnomeWorks
Master


Joined: 21 Apr 2014
Posts: 190
Location: Rocket City

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found this thread awhile ago, and found it a pretty interesting read.

Has anybody actually tried to implement any of the ideas there? If so, how'd it go?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aharon
Master


Joined: 27 Jul 2009
Posts: 195

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bump, and more specific questions/information:

I need help/a refresher creating a Shadowrun 3rd ed character

Rules:
all 3rd ed rule books allowed
max availability of items is 8
No self-designed spells, vehicles
Beta-Cyberware, cultured Bioware available, but only legal ones for characters who had a SIN
Character Creation Priority system, double-selection possible (something like A,A,D,D, E or 123 Build points)
Weaponless Fighting: rules from ARsenal
No Deckers
Astral Projection is ok, Deckers, drone riggers specialised in electronic warfare are not.

The group currently uses the example characters, there are three other players, I know one of them is a shaman.

Since I'm a roleplay veteran and the other players aren't, I would prefer something that doesn't overshadow them - but pure support roles don't seem to exist in the system?

I thought about a High-Charisma elf aspect shaman focused on conjuring spirits of the man for Concealment and Confusion. Is that a viable tactic?

However, that would synergize with being the face -> lots of screen time -> overshadowing the other characters

I have a fondness for magic, but if other builds work better for my goals (support role, not too much screen time), I would take those, too.

The game takes place saturday afternoon, already giddy Mr. Green

Original Post:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


Last edited by Aharon on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 26679

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone who is at this point playing "SR3," a game which was concluded 12 years ago, is so deeply into their own house rules at this point that I don't think anyone outside the group can give you meaningful advice.

Obviously your character is going to be more powerful if they use the SURGE rules, because the points costs for some of those advantages and disadvantages are amazingly high or low, and picking the right advantages or redundant disadvantages can leave you in the black. But if your prospective group straight up refuses to allow Riggers, then you're clearly operating on a level of self censorship that only makes sense to the group. And of course there are a lot of bullshit magical traditions that are explicitly more powerful than the normal ones in various supplements - but I would be very surprised if they let you be an Irish Path Mage.

I would suggest not being a spellcaster if you aren't familiar with SR3. There are spells that are Force Dependent and spells that are not, and you have to pick your spells at specific Forces, so it's really easy to end up making a fail character. But being a Shamanic or Voudoun Aspected Conjurer can have a lot to offer without having to learn that many new subsystems before chargen.

But basically your question amounts to "What number is this guy you've never met thinking of?" Because what you are literally asking is for us to tell you what the most powerful character that is allowed by the social contract of a bunch of grognards who play a heavily houseruled version of an old version of Shadowrun is. Without asking those people a whole lot of questions, we can't tell you.

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
virgil
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 5833

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What kinds of things, features, &/or creatures will not show up with a casting of commune with nature? This isn't counting whatever magic may be in effect to mess with their results.
_________________
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


Last edited by virgil on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 26679

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

virgil wrote:
What kinds of things, features, &/or creatures will not show up with a casting of commune with nature? This isn't counting whatever magic may be in effect to mess with their results.


No one ever casts Commune With Nature because it is one of the spells whose effects aren't well defined. You instantly know "something." But the quantity, quality, and even topic of that information aren't well defined. What is an unnatural creature? What is a woodland creature? What if you're in a fucking desert or on the high seas? What the actual fuck?

It's a legacy spell, and one which still reads like it's one of those Gygaxian railroad spells from AD&D because it basically is. And it's high enough in level that no one has ever bothered to fix or explain the fucking thing. You'd think that the 3.5 Revision would have been a great time to go over spells with poorly defined effects like Commune With Nature (to 3e's credit, this is a rather small and manageable list), but that is of course not what happened.

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prak
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 15955

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I kind of want to run a Paranoia style game about futuristic time travelers sent back to take out Trump. What's the best version of Paranoia or a good game in that tone?
_________________
Dean, on Paranoia wrote:
The book is a hardbound liars paradox.


Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.


FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OgreBattle
Prince


Joined: 03 Sep 2011
Posts: 4767

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Prak wrote:
I kind of want to run a Paranoia style game about futuristic time travelers sent back to take out Trump. What's the best version of Paranoia or a good game in that tone?


Fuhfhrbunker 1945

Nazi A: "Mein Fuhrer ze space-time machine is ready"

Hitler: "Set the date to 2016 Washington DC, there's this guy ruining my name I gotta go kill him"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OgreBattle
Prince


Joined: 03 Sep 2011
Posts: 4767

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does Shadowrun have SABOT dart guns? They're usually called flechettes but Shadowrun uses that term for little metal flakes instead of high velocity single darts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 26679

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OgreBattle wrote:
Does Shadowrun have SABOT dart guns? They're usually called flechettes but Shadowrun uses that term for little metal flakes instead of high velocity single darts


Shadowrun calls sabot dart weapons "APDS" and called fragmentation rounds "Flechette." Don't worry about it. They are completely silent as to whether APDS rounds are fin stabilized or not, and that's probably for the best.

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chamomile
Prince


Joined: 03 May 2011
Posts: 3717

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If there are X encounters on a random encounter table, how many encounters will it be before repeat content shows up? The reverse is probably obvious if you know the first, but if not, I also need to know how big a random encounter table has to be in order to most likely avoid repeats for Y amount of encounters.
_________________
I have a blog
Also a Discord channel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erik
Prince


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 4778

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Somewhere from 2 to X obviously. Are you wanting when the probability hits 50%?

You could just use cards to generate opposition randomly and don't reuse cards. Then weight the deck if you actually want some to repeat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 26679

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The general chance of going with no repeats is:

(X-1) * (X-2) * (X-3) ... * (X-{Y-1}) / (X^{Y-1})

So for example, if you wanted the chance of no repeats with X = 100 and Y = 10 you'd do:

99*98*97*96*95*94*93*92*91/(100^9)

Which is a 63% chance of no repeats or a 37% chance of at least one repeat. For any set where Y > X you get a zero in the numerator and there is no chance of getting no repeats.

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TiaC
Knight-Baron


Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Posts: 900

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FrankTrollman wrote:
The general chance of going with no repeats is:

(X-1) * (X-2) * (X-3) ... * (X-{Y-1}) / (X^{Y-1})

So for example, if you wanted the chance of no repeats with X = 100 and Y = 10 you'd do:

99*98*97*96*95*94*93*92*91/(100^9)

Which is a 63% chance of no repeats or a 37% chance of at least one repeat. For any set where Y > X you get a zero in the numerator and there is no chance of getting no repeats.

-Frank


However, this is only true if all the encounters are equally likely. If they are not, then things get more confusing.
_________________
virgil wrote:
Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Niles
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Jul 2010
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

virgil wrote:
What's the main/biggest RPG that uses the resolution system where you roll multiple dice, but only keep the highest; against a difficulty that does the same thing (rather than a fixed TN)? It's not a proper dice pool, like Shadowrun, since you're not counting hits. It's not Deadlands or Savage Worlds, since that's a fixed TN.


Ironclaw 1e does exactly this except you count hits on damage rolls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
virgil
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 5833

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does the spell nondetection work against see invisible?
_________________
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 11862

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

virgil wrote:
Does the spell nondetection work against see invisible?


Yes and No.

A straightfoward reading of the actual language would tell you yes, BUT, that same reading would also mean that Mindblank works to prevent someone with True Seeing from detecting you as well. So what some people try to do is say "See invis (or True Seeing) doesn't effect you, it effects the person it's cast on"

Which is a shitty RAW argument, because Contact Other Plane doesn't effect you either it gives someone else knowledge about you.

What should you do? Fuck if I know? I usually rule that Mindblank doesn't prevent True Seeing and See Invis, but that Non-Detection does, since that way someone can at least get a role.

Also I ban Superior Invisibility with it's arbitrary "this is immune to Invisibility Purge and Glitterdust and Faerie Fire" language.
_________________
"DSMatticus" wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
tussock
Duke


Joined: 07 Nov 2009
Posts: 2463
Location: Here

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

vezidoroga wrote:
tussock wrote:
Silent Image (and so on) is a Figment, so it only shows something that isn't there (and specifically not voids in place of things that are there)


That sounds right now that I think about it, because otherwise silent image is much stronger (and adding a fake visual impression is plausibly distinct from suppressing a real visual impression). Did you read the "no voids" somewhere specific? I'd be interested in the explanation.


http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#illusion

I assume the categories are exclusive except where stated otherwise, so Glamours make things look different or even disappear, and Figments do not, which is consistent with the statement in Figments that "Figments cannot make something seem to be something else."

So Silent Image creates an "object, creature, or force", and so do all the spells that reference it.

Quote:
And what does that mean if the thing you're trying to hide something the audience can't see anyway? In the light example, your rogue puts out a lamp in a hallway, and you project the illusion of a dimly-lit, empty hallway.

That's not a thing. You can't Figment a hole because a hole is a word meaning a space where there isn't a floor and you can't disappear the floor with a figment, and a hall is a word meaning a narrow space surrounded by walls, and you can't disappear stuff in the real hall with a figment of it not being there, because that's not a Figment, it's a Glamour.

You can figment up a wall in front of your Rogue. You can figment up a cloud in front of your Rogue. You can figment up a curtain in front of your Rogue. That might be a black curtain in a dark hallway so they can't see it, but you can't Figment a void in place of your Rogue, because that would be a Glamour cast on the Rogue.

Quote:
The guards can't actually see the rogue with or without the image, nor would they be able to see the dark hall. Is that not allowed because you're showing a "void" in place of what's actually there (the rogue), or because you're showing a "void" in place of the darkness (which is a void, but probably not the kind the rules mean)?


A figment of nothing is not an object, creature, or force, it doesn't look like or feel like anything and people can't see it or feel it, instead seeing whatever is really there, even if that's darkness they can't see into.

If you want to create actual Light or Darkness, those are evocation spells.
_________________
news://rec.games.frp.dnd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion... All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139
Page 139 of 139

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group