The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Kaelik Cleric [Tome of Virtue]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> It's My Own Invention...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Kaelik Cleric [Tome of Virtue] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kaelik Cleric

"Give a man a cure spell, and he will live for a day, teach a man to cure spell, and he shall live for eternity."

The Kaelik Cleric is that guy in the party who heals all debuffs, and gives all the buffs. Sometimes he hits people in the face during combat, sometimes he casts the spells that makes people fall down. Also he does other nice things, because he’s a nice guy, sometimes an evil nice guy, but always nice. Also he has control over undead, for legacy reasons.

Wisdom.

Hit Points: 1d8
Skill Points: 4+Int
Base Attack Bonus: 3/4ths
Saving Throws: Good Fort and Will
Proficiencies: Clerics are proficient with all simple weapons, with all types of armor (light, medium, and heavy), and with shields (except tower shields). Additionally, Clerics are proficient with one martial weapon that their god likes.
Class Skills: The cleric’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int) Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Table: The Cleric

Level:Abilities:1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th
01Being a Cleric, Spellcasting, Domains, Turn or Rebuke Undead, Divine Energy, Aura, Orisons2--------
02Domain Skills and Abilities3--------
0331-------
0432-------
05331------
06332------
073331-----
083332-----
0933331----
1033332----
11333331---
12333332---
133333331--
143333332--
1533333331-
1633333332-
20Why Didn't You Prestige Class?444444444

Class Features

Being A Cleric (Ex): Clerics are oftentimes Clerics. Which means the worship something or other. When a character takes their first level in Cleric, they pick a God or Cause to worship, and their belief in that Cause grants them spells. If the God wants to he can totally let them know at any time that he’s pissed off, and that means the Cleric will not have sufficient belief to get their spells until they feel like they have atoned. Unless of course, the God’s disfavor prompts a crisis of faith or retributory opposition, in which case the Cleric may no longer worship the God in question.

A Cleric can decide, for any number of reasons, to stop worshiping a god or cause. If they do so, then they might make an enemy of a previous god (or those dedicated to their previous cause) and that can be bad. Usually the process of completely forsaking your purpose in life is not an easy or quick one. A cleric in the middle of the process can’t prepare or cast spells for two weeks, after which they have a new driving purpose in life, because the types of people who are Clerics are quick to latch on full force to whatever purposes they come to. At this point they may (and perhaps even must) choose new domains that are in line with their new God or Cause.

Spellcasting: A cleric casts divine spells, which are drawn from the cleric spell list provided below. A cleric must choose and prepare his spells in advance (see below).

To prepare or cast a spell, a cleric must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a cleric’s spell is 10 + 1/2 Character Level + the cleric’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a cleric can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Cleric. He does not receive any bonus spells from having a higher Wisdom Score. A cleric also gets three domain spell slots. When a cleric prepares a spell in a domain spell slot, it must come from one of his two domains (see Domains).

Clerics meditate or pray for their spells. A Cleric cannot prepare spells if he has done so within the last 24 hours. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a cleric can prepare spells. A cleric may prepare and cast any spell on the cleric spell list, provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during his daily meditation. Preparing spells ends the duration of any Primary Effects currently ongoing.

The most unique thing about Cleric spells is that they all have a casting time of one full round action, and duration of 24 hours. However, their remaining duration can be expended to produce an effect, usually as a standard or swift action, though occasionally as an immediate action or a longer action. Doing so ends the Primary Effect, and triggers the Secondary Effect.

Domains (Ex): A Cleric specializes his worship, granting him two Domains. These Domains each grant him a spell at each spell level. Additionally, the Cleric gains 3 domain slots. Each Domain Slot can be used to prepare a domain spell of any level the Cleric can cast.

Turn or Rebuke Undead (Su): A cleric chooses to be able to turn or rebuke undead when he chooses his god or cause. In either case, he gets a number of uses per day equal to his Wisdom Modifier +3.

If a cleric turns undead, then he can either force a Will Save or be destroyed on single Undead within Close Range. If he succeeds, the Undead is now Dead. Or, alternatively, the cleric can Pulse an AoE of energy that causes a 40ft radius burst of energy that forces a will save from all undead in the area. Undead with CR less than the cleric’s character level are frightened, undead with equal or greater CR are shaken. These fear effects last for 1 minute, bypass all immunities to fear effects, and are not mind affecting. In either case, Turning Resistance provides an untyped bonus to saves against this check.

If a cleric chooses Rebuke Undead, then his single target effect acts as the spell Control Undead, and his Burst effect grants all undead +10 Turn Resistance that stacks with other turn resistance. Both of these effects last 1 minute. Additionally, the Cleric may spend 5 daily uses over three consecutive full round actions on any currently Controlled Undead to make that duration permanent, so long as the undead’s CR is less than the Cleric’s Character Level-4. A Remove Curse, Break Enchantment, or Greater Dispel Magic effect removes this effect.

Divine Energy (Su): A cleric gains a pool of Divine Energy equal to his Wisdom Modifer times his Character level times 2. This energy can be used to channel positive or negative energy (any cleric can channel either one) with a touch or touch attack in this amount. As a swift action a Cleric can channel up to his character level, or as a standard action, he may channel any amount he wishes. In either case, a successful Will save negates the damage (DC 10+Half Character level+Wisdom mod).

The pool refills whenever a cleric prays to refresh spell slots.

Aura (Ex): A cleric of a chaotic, evil, good, or lawful deity has a particularly powerful aura corresponding to the deity’s alignment (see the detect evil spell for details). Clerics who don’t worship a specific deity but choose the Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law domain have a similarly powerful aura of the corresponding alignment.

Orisons: A Cleric picks 4 Orisons (level 0 spells from the PHB Cleric list or any other Cleric list) aside from Cure Minor Wounds each time he prepares spells. He may cast those 4 Orisons at will until the next time he prepares spells.

Domain Skills and Abilities (Ex): At level 2 a Cleric gain domain abilities and each domain grants max ranks in a skill associated with that domain. These skills are considered class skills, and always have max ranks as you level.

Why Didn't You Prestige Class?(Ex): You are so dumb you didn't prestige class at all. All the way to 20. You are clearly completely resistant to any kind of influence. As such you are immune to Paralysis, Sleep, Stunning, Daze, Fatigue, Exhaustion, Sickened, Nauseated, Staggering, Turning, and all Mind Affecting and/or Fear effects.

Feats:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Cleric Spells:

All Cleric spells require Verbal and Somatic Components on casting. However expending the primary effect to obtain the secondary effect requires simplified physical motions that, while visible and identifiable by spellcraft check, can be performed with a item held in each hand. Expending a spell for a secondary effect requires verbal components only (and always) if the action requires a standard action to expend the effect. All Cleric spells are “Spell Resistance: Yes.”

Almost all Primary Effects have a duration of 24 hours. Preparing new spells ends all Primary Effects active.

Here is an explanation of a spell entry:

Bane
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind Affecting]

Primary Target: Party
Primary Effect: +1 AC
Secondary Target: All Enemies within 50ft.
Secondary Action: Standard
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Secondary Duration: 30 minutes.
Secondary Effect: Each enemy misses their next attack roll.

And here is an explanation of each part:

Name

School (subshool) [descriptors]

Primary Target is almost always either “Party” which means any 8 creatures touched at the time of casting, “Touch” in which case it is a single touched creature at the time of casting, or “Personal” in which case the spell can only target the Cleric. Occasionally areas may be affected. The tag [Weapon] indicates that the Party or Touch applies to eight or one weapon(s) respectively.

Primary Effect: Describes the effect on the Primary Target(s).

Secondary Target: Describes the targets of the Secondary Effect. This uses all the normal spell targeting rules. Unless specifically described otherwise, all rules regarding line of sight and line of effect apply based on the Cleric. Additionally, many spells activate on a single person wearing the Primary Effect or on all of them, these are labeled as “Single User” or “Party” respectively.

If a Secondary effect targets a touched creature, and the touch attack misses, the the Primary effect does not end and the Secondary effect can be triggered later on a successful touch attack using the appropriate action.

Finally, some spells have the special tag [Separate]. A [Separate] spell’s Secondary can be triggered on between one and all different creatures or objects effected by the Primary Effect at the same time, however, doing so does not end the Primary Effect on any member who has not had the Secondary Effect triggered. The Secondary Effect can be triggered later on those individuals.

Secondary Action: This describes the action required by the Cleric to terminate the Primary Effect, and activate the Secondary Effect. Doing so permanently expends the Primary Effect.

Saving Throw: This is the save all targets, either primary or secondary receive, though of course, primary targets are probably just going to deliberately fail the save.

Secondary Duration: The duration of secondary effects.

Secondary Effect: The effect of the spell on secondary targets.

PHB:
Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5

Level 6

Level 7

Level 8

Level 9

Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:05 pm; edited 37 times in total
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Domains:

Each Domain has:

Name
Granted Ability: This is the ability granted to a Cleric taking this Domain at level 2.
Skill: This is a skill which a Cleric gains max ranks in starting at Cleric level 2. These ranks continue to increase with more levels.
Spells: Each Domain has 9 spells. These spells may be prepared in Domain Slots only, and the Cleric may only prepare spells up to the spell level he has access to from his regular spell slots.

Spells with * are not off the Kaelik Cleric list and will be provided in Kaelik Cleric form below.

PHB Domains:

PHB Domain Spells:

Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:48 am; edited 21 times in total
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Reserved for eventually more spells.
...You Lost Me
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love this as a new way of doing Vancian daily spells. Primary / Secondary don't evoke the feeling of a buff that gets expended for a spell effect though. Not high priority, but maybe Imbue / Exhaust are better substitutions?

I don't like the idea of a daily pool for his healing / damage effects, because it seems annoying to track. Most of the time you'll probably track it in per-level increments, so I feel like it would be fine to just make it a daily usage. The other thing I don't like is the option to dump a gazillion damage into a touch attack. Most of the time that's going to be a trap option, and in other cases it seems like a dumb way to win a fight, so why does it exist? If you want massive healing, just make players spend multiple turns healing for +lvl.

Will Domains be rewritten to follow the same format?

For Entropic Shield, does the secondary ability redirect the attack at its old attack roll, or force a new attack roll, or auto-hit?

For Protection from Alignment, does the secondary Chaos effect allow affected creatures to take other actions after they've accomplished running towards you? Like if it only takes a move action to close the distance, can they attack after?

Endurance is called Endure Elements in the description.

Will Summon Monster make an appearance on the Cleric list?

Closing thought: I love that these encourage players to pick different buffs instead of just preparing the same effect 4 times.
Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:
I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...You Lost Me wrote:
Primary / Secondary don't evoke the feeling of a buff that gets expended for a spell effect though. Not high priority, but maybe Imbue / Exhaust are better substitutions?

Yeah, I feel like lots of parts of the buff/Expend are poorly written right now, I was planing to crowdsource it Smile.

...You Lost Me wrote:
I don't like the idea of a daily pool for his healing / damage effects, because it seems annoying to track. Most of the time you'll probably track it in per-level increments, so I feel like it would be fine to just make it a daily usage.

Uh what? I mean, we have 16 years of people playing Paladins, and they always track it on an individual point number basis, because that way you are always efficiently used. I made it a point pool so that it's an easy decision when to use it (whenever) to reduce that accounting.

...You Lost Me wrote:
The other thing I don't like is the option to dump a gazillion damage into a touch attack. Most of the time that's going to be a trap option, and in other cases it seems like a dumb way to win a fight, so why does it exist? If you want massive healing, just make players spend multiple turns healing for +lvl.

I mostly expect the save negates aspect to encourage people to use it as healing, but I don't know. The reason it's not just +level is because it's also supposed to be in combat healing.

...You Lost Me wrote:
Will Domains be rewritten to follow the same format?

Domain spells not already rewritten? Yeah.

...You Lost Me wrote:
For Entropic Shield, does the secondary ability redirect the attack at its old attack roll, or force a new attack roll, or auto-hit?

Good point, will have to say that. Presumably just same attack roll.

...You Lost Me wrote:
For Protection from Alignment, does the secondary Chaos effect allow affected creatures to take other actions after they've accomplished running towards you? Like if it only takes a move action to close the distance, can they attack after?

The intention is that leaving is always going to be like a double move or full round run, but closing can be a move then standard.

...You Lost Me wrote:
Will Summon Monster make an appearance on the Cleric list?

No.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looks pretty awesome. A while ago I had started on a rewrite of my "Cleric for people who want more mandatory class features to lose when you Prestige out and don't like the limitless spell access", but honestly, seeing this, you've saved me the effort there.

It's a cool concept. The occasional Instant spell they have can just be shifted to a secondary effect (so Flamestrike is presumably a spell with Primary: your attacks are all half-divine Flaming weapons, Secondary: a cylinder explodes into fiery death hit point damage) and they're not the main spells Clerics typically use anyway, other than "Save or Actually Die" or status-ending things.
OgreBattle
King

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looks fun, functional, and easier to remember than the regular cleric spells. The aura expending mechanic feels like something from MTG

You could use MTG terminology, a charge that lasts 24 hours can be sacrificed for an effect.

A party of 8 clerics can do some silly stuff together.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

2nd level spells.
OgreBattle
King

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm hassling you to finish this class
PhoneLobster
King

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't get me wrong, I have no interest one way or another in the content of the class itself.

But.

Why is this class not called something like the Kaelerik?

Just seems like a shockingly obvious missed opportunity.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A good point Phonelobster, but it's [Kaelik says so].

I really like how turning undead has an easy to grok mechanic; because looking up how turning... actually works, ends up being a pain when the campaign has any amount of undead, even if the party can destroy them thanks to turning equipment & specialization among the party.

The 3e rules for turning are almost the same as those that I recall in 2e. However, they were so obscure that we had to look up the rulebook each time we interacted with the mechanic.

Even playing as part of a party where half the party specialized in generating a large turning undead score (that would destroy, not fear, undead; a tiny amount, thanks to Sun Domain; then more often with Radiant Servant of the Sun); I can't say that I definitively recall just how 2e/3e undead turning mechanics work.

It was basically a Charisma + Cleric Level check, to determine how high, compared to your own Cleric Level; an Undead you could affect. Already I want to throw up and jump out a window.

Then, you have to roll... a bunch of d6s (wargaems. @_@), to determine how many HD (total) you can affect.

The first step makes the mechanic involve epicyclic mechanics, and the second makes the amount of targets affected to always be in doubt.

On the other hand, that might be the point. OD&D was envisioned as a horror-comedic gorefest where PCs died like characters in Sword & Planet pulp action series.
Mask_De_H
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Divine Energy doesn't actually say what the healing/damage per point is. It just skips to Save for Half.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mask_De_H wrote:
Divine Energy doesn't actually say what the healing/damage per point is. It just skips to Save for Half.

It's just 1 to 1. Whatever your Divine Energy Pool is, that's how much HP you can heal or damage do. Not sure what specific way to right that better, but agree it is slightly missing something.

All methods seem equally crass in terms of 1 to 1.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Added 3rd level (PHB) spells.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The spells are really solid without being overpowered. Thanks for making this.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Level 4 (PHB) spells mostly done.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Level 5 Spells.
radthemad4
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This looks fun to play. I'll have to try it out some time.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a little weird that Atonement is a [Chaotic] effect. Not a big deal, because I don't recall ever seeing someone cast that in a game, but it does stick out as weird.

With Flamestrike's primary effect, do you choose when you cast the spell, or can you have one then swap to the other?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei wrote:
It's a little weird that Atonement is a [Chaotic] effect. Not a big deal, because I don't recall ever seeing someone cast that in a game, but it does stick out as weird.

I actually made a joke about that while I was writing it to tenngu/rad/acid, because it amused me that all the spells that sort of fit in the same category of hallow/unhallow/mark of justice/atonement and holy/unholy/chaos/law smite/blight/hammer/whatever all fit together perfectly, except that atonement was left over and had to go with chaotic Big Grin

Koumei wrote:
With Flamestrike's primary effect, do you choose when you cast the spell, or can you have one then swap to the other?

It's supposed to be "He can do either one whenever" thing, probably should find a better word than alternately, like additionally.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

6th level spells
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

6th level spells
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

7th level spells.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

8th and 9th level spells.
DenizenKane
NPC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really cool class, nice job finishing it up. One of my players might be playing this is my coming campaign.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> It's My Own Invention... All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: