The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
[Request] Analysis of Failed Design: d20 Skills
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voss
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

rasmuswagner wrote:
What I'd really like for knowledge skills used out of combat is a set of rules that quickly and robustly models Cliff Clavin, Homer Simpson and Ross Geller trying to agree on the attributes of a given Steve and moving forward with a plan. Having the usefulness of each characters contribution be hidden information, false information, each individuals evaluation of consensus opinion vs personal opinion, that sort of thing.

The idea of knowledge being the mashup of secrets, lies and opinions seems inherently ridiculous to me. Shouldn't facts have some weight in there somewhere?
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Voss wrote:
The idea of knowledge being the mashup of secrets, lies and opinions seems inherently ridiculous to me. Shouldn't facts have some weight in there somewhere?

Welcome to the 21st century. You must be new here.
Voss
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

erik wrote:
Voss wrote:

Welcome to the 21st century. You must be new here.

I suppose it depends on what you consider knowledge.

But the idea that a troll's regeneration might be secret, another character claims they have fire resistance, and there is open debate on whether they can cast spells is just fucking dumb.
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I mostly just thought my quip would be funny since I already made my stance on knowledge skills last thread page.

Make em backgrounds. I think knowledge skills a shitty thing to roll and not really good as skills at all. I want "knowledge" to just hand them the keys and let them know shit without rolling.

No adventure should be based upon knowledge skills succeeding since then you've wasted everyone's time if it fails. It should just be an exposition valve for the DM to share with PCs so that the PC who is in the know feels empowered.

[edit: Best argument against background knowledge tags is if you need some granularity, and even then if you need it then you can probably break it into a few tiers and be done with it. There's no reason to have 23 tiers or more of knowledge.]

Last edited by erik on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion... All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: