It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Ancient History wrote:I've given up hope, faith, dignity, and exercise.
Well it's all good now, because we can go back to watching Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters again!

... Right?
Last edited by Shrapnel on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

For Lent?
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I have something I need to get off my chest: if you ever go to a Dunkin' Donuts and order a $1.39 cup of coffee, and then try to pay with a $50 bill, then I HATE you. In fact, if you ever use a $50 or $100 dollar bill for something under ten dollars, you are scum. Especially if you already have TWO FUCKING DOLLARS TO PAY FOR YOUR FUCKING COFFEE then use that and not the fifty you filthy swine. And DON'T get mad at ME when I won't take your money because it's a FUCKING STORE POLICY TO NOT TAKE BILLS LARGER THAN TWENTY. It's not my fault you're too much of a fucking DOUCHE to use smaller bills. GOD.
Half asleep upon my knee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

TiaC wrote:
For Lent?
Lent is something that happens to other people.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Shrapnel wrote:I have something I need to get off my chest: if you ever go to a Dunkin' Donuts and order a $1.39 cup of coffee, and then try to pay with a $50 bill, then I HATE you. In fact, if you ever use a $50 or $100 dollar bill for something under ten dollars, you are scum. Especially if you already have TWO FUCKING DOLLARS TO PAY FOR YOUR FUCKING COFFEE then use that and not the fifty you filthy swine. And DON'T get mad at ME when I won't take your money because it's a FUCKING STORE POLICY TO NOT TAKE BILLS LARGER THAN TWENTY. It's not my fault you're too much of a fucking DOUCHE to use smaller bills. GOD.
There's a subset of those douches who are even bigger douches- those who walk into a store that hasn't even been open for an hour and pays for a $5 purchase with a $100 bill.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Sometimes I want to break my bills, and I want coffee (well not me, personally, because I don't carry cash or drink coffee, but like, people in general).
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sure, I get it (in Shrapnel's case, at least, mine took place at a Halloween store). It's still obnoxious.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I don't like getting bills bigger than a $20, but sometimes it happens. When it does, I need to break those bills. Most of my purchases are either under $20, or over $100. About the only middle ground is if I'm going out with my family, and I don't feel like carrying a $50 in my wallet waiting for that occasion.

Prak is right that is sucks if the store's just been opened. I had to refuses to make change for a $100 one morning when working at a video store, because we don't start the day with any $20s; however, as the days would go on, we'd get so many $20s, we'd have to run multiple deposits to get rid of them. It was absolutely no problem to break a $100 by the afternoon.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Perhaps this makes me look like a pleb, but I can't imagine carrying around $50 or $100 bills on my person. The ATM and my bank tends to give out bills in sets of $20 bills, and I tend to go out of my way to not carry large amounts of case on my person in the first place due to the number of times I was robbed when I was a kid.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I don't regularly walk around with large bills. Though a few months ago when business at the pizza place I drive for was pretty good, I did wind up walking around with a couple hundred dollars in 20s and lower a few times until I had a day off and spent some.

All that said, the polite thing to do if you're breaking your large bills at a coffee shop, or with your delivery driver or whatever is to ask "can you break a XX?" If not, well, that's one of the many services a bank will provide.

But I do understand the desire to make one stop to break your bill and get a cup of actually good coffee.
Last edited by Prak on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Eh, it's 2017 and everyone's got debit card these days so the pleb meter really only starts to sound if having even a single $50 legit gives you the willies. Most of the people I know who seem to regularly carry more than $100-$200 on 'em are just older dudes who like to golf, gamble, tip big and narrowly avoid sexual harassment lawsuits. Their ideal weekend involves doing all of those things at the same time. Oh, and the nice man with all the weed and adderall. Can't forget him.
bears fall, everyone dies
erik
King

Post by erik »

Typically my wallet has zero dollars cash as it does right now, but every now and then a 100 comes into my possession. When that happens I typically kill it at the grocery store. Money never makes it out of there alive.

I don't see the point in getting frustrated or angry or whatever at people trying to break a large bill. Either it's possible in which case fine, or it ain't in which case fine. If they get in a tiff then that's their cross to bear.

Shrapnel, don't get angry at people, just make them feel stupid. If you have a sign for the policy of not taking bills larger than $20 then you can just point to the sign. Then the fool has to argue with a sign. If you don't have a sign, then get management to make one.

If you get a true gold-plated asshole who wants to argue the point, you can explain that it is store policy and they can speak with your manager about why the store is providing a safer place for customers as it doesn't make itself a greater target for violent robbery.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I really get the willies if i do not have at least 50€ in cash in my pocket <.<
Over here, in germany, credit and debit cards are not the norm for small purchases and seen as obnoxious because those transactions tend to take longer than cash payment.

I WISH our ATMs would spit out smaller bills. 10 is the smallest you can get, and you can not even ask for that. You only get 10€ bills if the ammount of cash you wish to withdraw can NOT be given out using bigger bills. And the minimum ammount you can withdraw on the ATMs of my bank at least is 20€. Some don't even offer you anything but the premade ammounts. On others it may simply be that the cache of stored bills has run out and you have to chose a different ammount of cash to be able to withdraw anything at all, if the bills needed to combine into the ammount you specified are simply not available.

And if you do something like withdraw 400€, you often get 2x50, 1x100 and 1x200€.

Try and do ANYTHING that is not ordering bigger ammounts of food or buying something expensive with those.
Our Busdrivers routinely refuse to take even 20€ Bills for example.
So you are literally shit out of luck if you want to go anywhere by bus, even if you have enough cash in your pocket to rent a limousine with chauffeur with!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

The thing that really gets me about people using lage bills is twofold: the first (and biggest) is when I tell a customer we can't accept bills larger than twenty - because it's store policy and my boss and her bosses don't like it when we break store policies - and they get mad at me like I personally created that policy just to jizz in their Cheerios, when I have less than no control over what rules our corporate overlords make. I actually had a guy once throw a temper tantrum and completely cancel his entire order - after all the food and coffee had been made and everything - simply because he couldn't use a $100 to pay for a ~$7 meal.

The second thing that gets me, to a lesser extent, is when a person pulls out a wad of bills, flips through it, and deliberately passes by a bunch of ones, fives and tens to get to a 50 or 100, and I see them have close to exact change and they shove Ulysses S. Grant in my face anyway. This has happened more often than you'd think, to point that I'm fairly certain people are doing this on purpose.

But if the person only has a fifty or a hundred and nothing else, then I feel bad for them... and tell them there's an ATM at the Little Peach across the street. I'm not gettin' in trouble with my boss because of a hard-luck case. Again.
Half asleep upon my knee
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Shrapnel wrote: The second thing that gets me, to a lesser extent, is when a person pulls out a wad of bills, flips through it, and deliberately passes by a bunch of ones, fives and tens to get to a 50 or 100, and I see them have close to exact change and they shove Ulysses S. Grant in my face anyway. This has happened more often than you'd think, to point that I'm fairly certain people are doing this on purpose.
I will do so, if I either need to break the bill (for some other later payment where I need exact change) or if I already have exact change for a future transaction that I don't want to spend. About twice a week, I have to pay a friend for picking up and watching my kids, and it usually isn't an even-bill amount.

That being said, I agree with Prak, and I always ask, first. Hell, if it's in the morning, I ask before trying to break a $20.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

1) If they can't pay with the legal tender they intended to pay with, then damn skippy the order gets canceled. If I go in to buy something, and they say "we don't accept debit cards" I tell them to fuck right off and leave.

2) Again. You are not entitled to exact change. If they want to break a fucking 50, then they can try to break a 50 even if they have exact change.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Shrapnel probably shouldn't work customer service. See what you're state's policy is on getting welfare if you are fired, it should be very easy to achieve that simply by responding to anything with the age-old Australian phrase "Oi yeah nah get fucked mate".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

I can sympathize with Shrapnel only in the case of people getting shitty with him after he informs them of store policy to not accept anything larger than a $20. At that point, the reasonable person says, "Oh, I'm sorry, here's a $20." If they don't have a smaller bill, then go ahead and ask to cancel the order without screaming at the minimum-wage clerk that didn't make the fucking policy.

But Koumei is probably correct in that Shrapnel might be better off working anything but customer service.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Oh, I absolutely endorse responding in kind, so if they throw a tanty at you, call them a fuckface and show them your dick.

But that doesn't change the fact that customer service is really only for a very specific kind of person. And robots. Can we just get robots?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

@kaelik, I don't need fucking exact change, and no, they can't break a fifty, not at the store I work at. I need something that is twenty or less, because, again, our STORE'S POLICY DOESNT LET ME ACCEPT 50's OR 100'S, AND I WILL GET IN TROUBLE WITH MY BOSS IF I ACCEPT THEM and having someone throw a fit over that is extremely aggravating.

@Koumei I'm not eligible for welfare, s'far as I know, and jobs are not necessarily easy to come by for college drop-out aspies, so I'm stuck with the job I got. It's honestly not that bad, just when people are pricks, which actually doesn't happen to often. Besides, I can always eat some free donuts to make myself feel better when it does.
Half asleep upon my knee
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

In England, you don't immediately qualify for jobseekers allowance if you were dismissed due to gross misconduct/"fired yourself".
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Yeah, it sucks. When you work customer service you are almost like the human face of the company. It's annoying when people get mad at customer service people for company policy but that's kind of part of the job, unfortunately.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Customer Service sucks, it really does. I have noticed that being a delivery driver for a pizza place, while still technically a customer service job, is a lot less terrible. Because people see you as completely divorced from the guy on the phone and the guy in the kitchen, and you're just the schmuck delivering their food. Even though it's entirely likely you took their order and made their order before delivering it.

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

So, is there a 12-step program for bladed weapons? http://imgur.com/gallery/ywio7
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, but you usually start with smaller ones and work yourself up to the long swords
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.