The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Giant Crabs!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cielingcat
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Giant Crabs!!!! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Six CR 1 friends would allow you to run out of the crab's field of vision, so a properly set up Tome party won't die.

Josh_Kablack wrote:
You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Iaimeki
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Giant Crabs!!!! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A good ECL 5 party will be composed of mostly casters, so between wild shape and the spell they'll be able to fly and pick it off. There's still a good chance of casualties, but it's not nearly as dangerous.
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Giant Crabs!!!! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, you can kill it fairly easily with a level 3 party if you know about it ahead of time. Mount up on horses and pepper it with arrows.

But this critter seems more like a random/environmental encounter which isn't intended to be the locally well known threat to your 3rd level ass that it is. So your discovery of it almost certainly comes with a toe tag for one adventurer.

If you're lucky you can ride away. If not, there's always hiding, or hoping your wizard's glitterdust gives you enough time to either kill it or run away.

By the by, this has been one of my favorite rants as well. I bookmarked it long ago, and reread it from time to time for a chuckle. Heh, I even made my wife read it.
bitnine
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Giant Crabs!!!! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Current CRs for many types of creatures, particularly mindless brutes, are bullshit. What there should be are two things:

1. Coherent rules or guidelines for diminished returns for trivialized/manufactured encounters.
2. Consistent CRs that scale with the strength and threat of the creature and allow item 1 to adjust on a case by case basis.

Besides, even without a formal structure, I'd bet that most DMs use some form of #1 if such situations ever come up. (And yes, the scaling in #2 shouldn't be a straight line, but should at least somewhat account for the relevance of a creature's strength and how it forms the basis for a challenge.)
Brobdingnagian
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Giant Crabs!!!! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hah! You said 'consistent' in regards to D&D!

Wait, you're not joking, are you?
Strung Nether
Journeyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Necroing this for a good reason: The link in the first post is now broken, and I would hate for this to be forgotten. Is there a new link anywhere?
ishy
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here you go
((they changed the old archives from www.wizards.com to archive.wizards.com))
I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Antariuk
Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since it's reactivated, I might as well report that a while ago I used these our beloved crabs to give a 6th level Pathfinder group a run for their money. The first one got utterly splashed by the Magus with his one big trick, but then the other crabs closed in and... feelings were being had. Nobody died, but they went out of their way to not wander around the beaches anymore after that. Good crabs.

Last edited by Antariuk on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
spongeknight
Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Antariuk wrote:
Since it's reactivated, I might as well report that a while ago I used these our beloved crabs to give a 6th level Pathfinder group a run for their money. The first one got utterly splashed by the Magus with his one big trick, but then the other crabs closed in and... feelings were being had. Nobody died, but they went out of their way to not wander around the beaches anymore after that. Good crabs.

Heh. All of my players have heard this rant before- one of them read it to our gaming table while we were shooting the shit one day. The looks on their faces when I pulled out one of these bad boys on an encounter... they suddenly realized there were a few NPC guards with them and sacrificed those poor bastards to the Giant Crab while they engaged it from range. Good times.

Voss wrote:
Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
Dogbert
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Frank, complaining that James Jacobs' screeds don't make sense is like complaining Requiem for a Dream is too sad.

You just sacrificed part of you liver reading, and you have only yourself to blame.
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember this blasted thing. I'm glad my DM never threw one at my first group.

virgil wrote:
And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Prak
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And then there's the Monstrous Crab in It's Wet Outside. If anything, they're over CR'd, with the small monstrous crab at CR 1/2, with 8 hp and a +1 melee 1d4 claw attack and +0 grapple. You could send in the dwarf knight and just let him round up dinner without a scratch. The large crab is CR 4 with 36 hp, a pair of +8 melee 1d8+5 claw attack, +17 grapple and 2d8+5 constrict. Admittedly, not so much a "let the dwarf fighter feel good" fight, but a 4th level party wouldn't be too put out.

And then there's the CR 13 colossal monstrous crab that has 315 hp, but gets kited to death by wands of fireball, because, sure, the wizard doesn't have some fight-ending 7th level spell (Fort on this thing is +28), but it doesn't matter, because it's level 13 and there's literally no reason to sit on the ground and slog things out.

Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
phlapjackage
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being from the south (home of many delicious seafood dishes), my party's reaction to hearing that they were facing a giant crab was to lick their lips and start wondering where they could find a giant slab of butter...

"Maybe if it's in water and we fireball it, that would count as boiling it?"
Chamomile: Deaddmwalking... was a holy warrior dedicated not to a specific cause, but to doing battle with a single foe. With his nemesis forever banished from our shores, he goes off to become a normal denner who puts irritating people on ignore rather than endlessly engage them.
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How come nobody has mentioned hitting its weakpoint for massive damage yet?
OgreBattle
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

phlapjackage wrote:
Being from the south (home of many delicious seafood dishes), my party's reaction to hearing that they were facing a giant crab was to lick their lips and start wondering where they could find a giant slab of butter...

"Maybe if it's in water and we fireball it, that would count as boiling it?"

Are there stats for giant prawn
talozin
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There was a giant crayfish in "The Village of Hommlet." I've honestly lost track of how many gumbo jokes I've heard made about it.
angelfromanotherpin
King

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not something I ever expected to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion... All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: