The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Dominions 4 Teasers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> I Gave the Mouse a Cookie...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fair enough. Also, is there a list of Thrones special hidden effects? I know Darkness causes darkness and winter/cold cause cold, but I am reading an AAR which says the throne of war causes extra barbarian attacks.
Red_Rob
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can see a full list of the events in the game on the Data Inspector: http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector

If you go to the events tab and Load Events you can search them. If you tick the 'advanced' tab you can enter the property 'req_claimedthrone' and it will show all events triggered by claiming Thrones.

Quote:
Adjacent to my capital is a Throne;

Sorcerer; B3, D1, lots of blood slaves, 4 death gems
Circle Master; 2/2, 5 death gems, 8 blood slaves
2* Conjurer; 1/1, few death gems, lots of blood slaves

3 Mounter Commanders

11 Heavy Calvary
14 Light Calvary
19 Militia
12 Heavy Infantry

Is there a test mode where I can test some armies against that? I imagine when I attack it I'm probably well off having 25 spearmen huskarls in front to absorb the calvary charge as opposed to my more expensive sacreds.

With those indies you can expect a solid cavalry charge followed by ongoing skelepam. This means your sacreds probably aren't the right tool for the job, seeing as they have a low density of high damage attacks (exactly the kind if thing Skelespam is good against). Unless sent in overwhelming numbers they will struggle to kill skeletons at the rate they are produced, eventually fatiguing out or routing due to the turn limit.

With Thrones it can be worth using a staggered approach, taking out a few units at a time. For example, sending some huskarls and Garmhirdings and ordering them to Guard Commander at the back of the battlefield will allow the Cavalry to charge over and get killed by your Garmhirdings. Meanwhile the mages will waste a few gems or spam some skeletons as your units will be out of range of battle magic, and your commander can retreat after 5 rounds when the cavalry should be dealt with. Next turn you only have the mages and some infantry to deal with, which is an easier proposition. A bunch of Huskarls with some Siethkona for skelespam of your own should deal with that.

Quote:
And all in all, my start position is a little rough. 6 adjacent provinces, but only 2 are easily takable for various reasons. Bogarus turn 1 expanded, and Agartha, Abysia, and Xizbala researched turn 1. Abysia and Xizbala had the exact same research, which wasn't much, and it tells me that Xizbala took Drain 2 (their starting mage researches 9, Abysia's 7, but they came out with the same research), and Bogarus spent a lot of gold on Hector's Heavy Horsemen.

I take it graphs are on then? Sounds like Bogarus is going for turbo-expansion. With an Awake expander and heavy Merc investment you can take a lot of provinces year 1, even with Bogarus lacklustre troop selection. This could be dangerous with Bogarus lategame strength, if they can get a few forts up they can spam their research-bonus mages and power through the research pretty quickly. This is a good strategy, however it can be dangerous with graphs on. Once people see you taking off in provinces and research you can expect an alliance to form pretty quickly.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Graphs are on. Turn 2, Bogarus went up to 3 provinces, Ragha, Caelum, Agartha all stayed at 0 provinces, and everyone else (Xibala, Atlantis, Gath, Pangaea, Midgard, Abysia, Man, Ulm, Marignon, Mictlan) takes 1 province.

That's very, very clever about the calvary, actually, though I still think I probably want to find some chaff as well.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Turn 3;

1: Marignon, Agartha, Abysia, Caelum, Ragha,
2: Man, Mictlan, Pangaea, Midgard, Utgard, Gath, Xizbala, Atlantis
3: Ulm
4: Bogarus

I'm honestly shocked that 5 players aren't managing a province a turn.

Also, I found 7 resource crossbowmen, which someone told me was sort of nice. Is it still sort of nice if I don't have access to Fire/Air for Wind guide/Flaming Arrows?

I'm sort of crossing my fingers for lots of Marignon/Agartha/Abysia/Caelum/Ragha near me.

Last edited by Ikeren on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, my first neighbour is Midgard, who is running E4, N4, A4, which I would assume is keeper of the bridge. He's up to 5 provinces with me.

I played around with a 1 on 1 game, and it seems like my sacred giants stack pretty darn favourably against his gp-to-gp, except for the Einheres, which kick giant ass. I imagine getting some archers and chaff into the mix would help immensely with that, plus lightning resist going into the later game. Is there anything in my native lineup that would work well against Einheres? They sorta seem designed against giants.

Last edited by Ikeren on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
K
King

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ikeren wrote:
Alright, my first neighbour is Midgard, who is running E4, N4, A4, which I would assume is keeper of the bridge. He's up to 5 provinces with me.

I played around with a 1 on 1 game, and it seems like my sacred giants stack pretty darn favourably against his gp-to-gp, except for the Einheres, which kick giant ass. I imagine getting some archers and chaff into the mix would help immensely with that, plus lightning resist going into the later game. Is there anything in my native lineup that would work well against Einheres? They sorta seem designed against giants.

Giants get trashed pretty hard with single-target magic. I ran a quick test with four of Midgard's S2 mages dropping Paralyze with a roughly equal gold cost of Einheres, Huskarls, and Skinshifters and it really did not go well for your sacreds + some Javelinists.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm, fair point. Chaff won't be super helpful/distracting either, will it, since mages prioritize high hp targets?
Red_Rob
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mages will generally try to affect the largest hp pool they can. This means that for aoe spells density of hp per square is important, but for single target spells it is generally just unit hp.

Against Einhere you might struggle, they are pretty much designed as giant killers. Einhere are quite resource hungry though - early on they may not have that many. They are quite high in Enc with their berserk also adding fatigue - skelespam might be a decent counter.

Alternatively you could go heavy on those 7r crossbowmen. Massed crossbows are quite nasty for Midgard to deal with as their two decent troops (skinshifters and Einhere) don't use shields. They might try to use arrow decoys, but if you use fire: None orders you can get round that. You need a critical mass for ranged troops to become effective, but once you hit that you can take out a decent force with almost no losses. At 10 gold you should be able to field double the number of crossbows as the enemy has Einhere / Skinshifters and at that ratio you can do serious damage before they get to your line.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I'm putting a fort down on the Crossbow province. That being said, they're generally pretty friendly, and they're going to share a border with the games fastest expander, so I suspect we'll be on as good terms as we need to be.

My next neighbour is Abysia, who seems to be struggling; 4 provinces on turn 7, took 1 early, then had 3 turns without a province, then took 2 more.

I'm also in a MA game now as Ashdod, and I've got MA Abysia which I know nothing about near me, and it looks like an early war might be advantageous. How's that pairing?

Last edited by Ikeren on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
K
King

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ikeren wrote:
Yeah, I'm putting a fort down on the Crossbow province. That being said, they're generally pretty friendly, and they're going to share a border with the games fastest expander, so I suspect we'll be on as good terms as we need to be.

My next neighbour is Abysia, who seems to be struggling; 4 provinces on turn 7, took 1 early, then had 3 turns without a province, then took 2 more.

I'm also in a MA game now as Ashdod, and I've got MA Abysia which I know nothing about near me, and it looks like an early war might be advantageous. How's that pairing?

Abysia is always a difficult nation to run regardless of era. If you are looking for an early kill, they'd be a good target.

That being said, I wouldn't read too much into the score graphs by turn 7 because a lack of provinces might just be a province-taker army hitting some unexpected resistance in a province or being surrounded by knights and needing a few turns to maneuver or build/beef up an army.

By turn 20, you'll have a better idea if someone had a good build and knows how to run it.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fair enough. Good thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> I Gave the Mouse a Cookie... All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40
Page 40 of 40

Jump to: