The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
John Wick is Awesome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: John Wick is Awesome Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think I need to clarify that much. I'd heard some good buzz about this movie. People threw around "Best Keanu Reeves movie since The Matrix." Here's the long and a short of it though:

This is a classic 90s action movie. Except with ten times the budget, a kickass cast, and tighter script. The main plot in this movie is right along the lines of the first Transporter film, but much more slick and bloody. Keanu Reeves is amazing. The first fifteen minutes you could mistake for being a Sad Keanu meme montage, but that's just setup, and amazingly it works. It really works. I can't tell you how well it works until the metal baseball bats come out.

It's not perfect. There are a few plot holes. I don't think you're allowed to pump your own gas in New Jersey, that kind of thing. But in the grand scheme of things, you don't care. This is beautifully choreographed, wonderfully shot, excellently cast, the costume and makeup people all need complimentary oral sex, and I don't care if ten-fifteen minutes of it was a weird car commercial at one point, because this is a seriously tight movie. Ian McShane was in it and they let him play Ian McShane. They had a hard R rating and used the fuck out of it, but I don't think there was a single gratuitous titty shot - it was all blood and bullets. If there was any CGI, I didn't spot it. That's amazing. There are movies with ten times the budget that can't get away from the uncanny valley, and this film puts those to shame. There were people in the theater laughing at the funny bits because they got the beats right. I haven't seen that happen in years. This is the first movie in a decade where I want there to be a director's cut. Go see it in theaters.
OgreBattle
King

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want to watch the movie after I found out the reason he was killing for revenge
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I went to see it a few days ago, and it was pretty awesome indeed.

virgil wrote:
And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Red_Rob
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I assumed this thread was about how much Ancient loved the "game balance is an illusion" RPG designer John Wick and I was kind of weirded out for a minute there.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, fuck Game Designer John Wick.
shau
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw this on impulse over the weekend and I was also really impressed.
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I feel the taste of crow coming on since I was openly mocking this movie to friends after I saw the trailer. I was expecting it was going to practically be a parody of the retired hitman revenge trope (genre even). I mean, burying a puppy in the trailer. Oh my god.
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is almost a parody. John Wick is set in a universe where every 90s action movie could have happened and high-paid professional assassins are so common that there are businesses which cater exclusively to them.
DSMatticus
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a little late to the party, but having just watched John Wick I wanted to say I didn't actually think it was super-amazing-great.

No one goes into John Wick expecting an engrossing story or well-developed world, and one thing the movie gets right is that it completely and totally understands this. You can tell the writers had a lot of fun with this script. It's like they started with a parody and then someone challenged them to take their parody, play it straight, and still make it one of the most refreshing entries into the genre written in the past ten years. So they did that, and it is. It is exactly absurd enough to make you smirk without preventing you from taking the movie seriously. That is an amazingly difficult needle to thread, and they very much do thread it. But the real reason you're watching John Wick is for the fight choreography. It's an action flick, and you're there for the action. So let's talk about that.

What they get right; the camerawork and the editing are fucking great. A lot of action flicks these days are really fucking lazy, and do their actions scenes as a bunch of quick cuts between close up shots (sometimes slightly sped up) and you can't even see what the fuck is happening except that two dudes are kinda sorta beating the shit out of eachother in some way or another and it's a waste of your god damn time. John Wick is not one of those films. It goes to great lengths to make sure you can see exactly what is happening; the shots are long and the cuts are almost always inbetween movements. The camera is there to capture the action, not to fake it.

What they get wrong; it's kind of fucking repetitive. You're going to see the exact same couple of "flip a dude around" moves over and over and over. You're also going to see more than a few "I have a gun. Let me step closer so I can shoot y- hey what are you doing let go of my arm HOW COULD THIS HAVE POSSIBLY GONE SO WRONG" moments, where visibly armed people step within arm's reach of John Wick (and immediately get tossed around) instead of fucking shooting him. And that is just fucking lazy. I found that - and eventually the repetition - pretty jarring. More jarring than John Wick buying his way into an underground nightclub filled with hitmen using a gold coin, and that was pretty god damn absurd.
Meikle641
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I enjoyed it a lot. It was one of the two films I saw shortly after my mother's death last year (that and The Book of Life). The movie was wonderfully violent and cathartic for me. The whole thing is a love letter to 90s action movies and blood operas.
My store page: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/10679/Heartbreaker-Press
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked a lot of the movie, but the gold coin thing was something I had a hard time wrapping my head around.

So far as I understand it, its a currency that is only used by assassins, people who want people assassinated, and people who preform services for assassins (crime scene cleanup, etc). So, how do these things cycle? Do the customers do things for the service guys to get coins from them? Because if not, how are the customers getting these coins, and how are the service providers spending them?
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They've already announced a sequel to John Wick, haven't they?

virgil wrote:
And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Eikre
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
I liked a lot of the movie, but the gold coin thing was something I had a hard time wrapping my head around.

So far as I understand it, its a currency that is only used by assassins, people who want people assassinated, and people who preform services for assassins (crime scene cleanup, etc). So, how do these things cycle? Do the customers do things for the service guys to get coins from them? Because if not, how are the customers getting these coins, and how are the service providers spending them?

Neutral authorities like the Continental provide a marketplace for underworld activity, and probably also perform the role of central bank by minting those coins and by maintaining a positive balance of favors that they can call in for you if what you're looking for isn't in the bar that night. I'm certain you can also pay these guys in ordinary cash (or weapons, or cocaine, or other fungible goods), but the coins travel a lot better and they fulfill the role as shibboleth. I'm also certain they're a genuine fiat currency and worth a lot more than the $1,000 ounce of gold that they're made from.
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I saw the movie, I assumed they were just using Krugerrands. But it turns out they are using custom gold coins that say "ens causa sui" on them.

-Frank
JonSetanta
King

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All right you got me sold on it. Watching now.
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have seen John Wick 2. And it is good.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Last edited by Ancient History on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covent
Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's in theaters! I will watch.

Thanks AH.
Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
Mask_De_H
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yo AH, did you mean Smokin' Aces in that spoiler?
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, whatever. The one with the crazy hillbilly assassins.
Blade
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Fucking hell, near the climax of the film you've got

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Last edited by Blade on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: