Gladiator Adventure Workable?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Gladiator Adventure Workable?

Post by virgil »

Are there any good adventures or good ways to handle the "forcefully conscripted to fight in the arena" style plotline?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Jason
Journeyman

Post by Jason »

Not that I am aware of, but I don't really see much of a complication with it to begin with. What ere you inparticular looking for that is so drastically different?
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I remember there was an adventure called Pandemonium in the Veins in Dungeon #96 that was based on gladiatorial combat - possibly conscripted.

Here's the first review that Google gave me.
-This space intentionally left blank
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The Dark Sun Shattered Lands ms dos rpg has that premise
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

If this is for a new campaign, just have that be part of the premise - you start out as conscripted gladiators. Simple, and avoids players being pissed off about railroading and/or avoiding the conscription somehow and skipping the whole thing. Also you don't have to worry about someone's character being useless in such a scenario.

If it's for an existing campaign, easiest way is for the PCs to want to be there (at least initially), such as they have to infiltrate the arena in order to talk to someone there / assassinate someone / whatever. Alternately, you can always just talk to the players and get their buy-in OOC, then summarize how they got captured rather than play it out in detail.

It's not impossible to have them get captured IC, but it's difficult, may lead to a split party if you don't railroad, and may lead to lost trust / strife if you do railroad.
Last edited by Ice9 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voss
Prince

Re: Gladiator Adventure Workable?

Post by Voss »

virgil wrote:Are there any good adventures or good ways to handle the "forcefully conscripted to fight in the arena" style plotline?
Do it at low level, or you have to deal with increasing bullshit excuses as to why the characters can't just walk out with various transportation magics OR why you won't let them have spells.

I believe the first dark sun adventure had a starting point of 'you're gladiators! and then slave revolt!,' but I don't remember if it was particularly convincing. I suspect not, since the metaplot NPCs ended up doing everything of importance (like killing the city-state's dragon king).
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Party is level 4 (only one can do anything vaguely like transportation) and visiting a foreign world - I was tempted to have a "recruitment drive" that is EL = APL+4 come in and tell them that they've been selected to compete in a three day arena competition. They'll be given 'gilded cages', but otherwise they fight some number of fights, and then are released (presuming survival) and the promise to never again be conscripted for such. I would include various NPCs corroborating such a promise as valid. I'm not sure if that's too rail-roadey or fraught with problems.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

If you're good at playing NPCs, have one offer them a lucrative award if they do a little job. He can be vague on the details, and one of the plot points could be they’re not sure if they’re really prisoners. By the fourth time he says "trust me" they'll be awfully sore. But don’t have him turn on them. At the end of the agreed upon time they get paid as agreed - maybe even extra.
-This space intentionally left blank
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

The Age of Worms Adventure Path has a pretty sweet adventure around the middle-ish that focuses on gladiatorial combat, including pre-made opposition teams. Probably worth a look.

Level 8-10 as I recall.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Neurosis wrote:The Age of Worms Adventure Path has a pretty sweet adventure around the middle-ish that focuses on gladiatorial combat, including pre-made opposition teams. Probably worth a look.

Level 8-10 as I recall.
"The Champion's Belt" was a pretty fun adventure, but it's more of an investigation behind the scenes of some gladiator games rather than being forced to fight.