Medical Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Maj wrote:Low podmas diet? I tried googling that and didn't come up with anything useful. Is it low fodmap?
...yes. I even forgot the word, because it's just a random collection of letters that, hitherto that point, I had never seen in that order.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

My brother is on a low FODMAP diet, and his list denies him apple cider, juice, and hard cider. Poking around online, most sites seem to agree cider is a no.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Just in time for Summer. This is very sad. At least there's always whisky.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

So I got a tooth abscess about a week ago and have been feeling general cold/flu symptoms intermittently since. I was put on penicillin vk 500 MG 1 every six hours and my symptoms improved for about half a day, then I went to work in a mobile, high pressure environment and the abscess popped. It's not swollen as much, but there looks to be a scar and I've felt like shit for the past four days now.

I've been to the ER and a dentist and was just prescribed penicillin and ibuprofen. There's not enough swelling to impact breathing, but it is an upper mouth/cheek infection. I just got over the flu a week or so previous, too.

What should I do?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

When the abscess pops, it's going to spill a bunch of corruption into your mouth (which will taste awful) and a significant amount into your blood stream. The latter part will make you feel like shit and cause rampant fevers and body aches, but it can also progress to endocarditis if you don't slam a lid on it, which is awful. So definitely take the penicillin, it's important.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

So . . a few days ago, i woke up and my left pinkie and ring finger did not completely manage to do that.
You know how it feels when your hand or foot or so falls asleep and goes all tingly like?
It is kinda sorta like that, only not quite.
They still feel things, they tingle just a little bit and have done so for some days by now. They are not cut off from blood circulation, their movement and strenght(if you want to call it that with pinkie and ring finer to begin with) has not been affected. It just feels stupid . .
I know the tingly feeling you get when your limbs fall asleep has nothing to do with blood circulation but nerves being impeded somehow so the nerve signals sent get stronger and stronger untill you end up with the needles and pinpricks from it just being there, so i guess it is something like that. Another medical student i talked to said it could be the same nerve that is responsible for the funny bone feeling in your ellbow or a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome . . seeing how this was not one evening and started on the next morning upon waking up i suspect i have done something stupid to myself while asleep. would not be the first time either <.<
Any of our medical inclined posters have an idea what to do about this?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

That happens to me every once in a while. Usually stops after a few days. No idea what causes it, though.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Define a few days please.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

Generally between 2 and 5. Don't think it's ever bothered me for more than a week.
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

Post by Nachtigallerator »

You might have a disease like carpal tunnel syndrome, except that carpal tunnel syndrome affects the median nerve, not the ulnar nerve. Given your description, it's the ulnar nerve you have trouble with. The names for nerve entrapment syndromes here are different, but the problem is basically the same - compression of the nerve causes misfiring signals which results in a tingly feeling.

The symptoms being prominent at night or in the morning is the fiddly detail I'd look for in exam questions, so it might be that. Since I can't perform any tests on you or look at your hand, it could also be a problem with your spine, but I wouldn't consider that yet.

Since the only symptom you describe is paresthesia (tingly feeling) I'd give it a week or two to dissipate; sometimes you'll just happen to sleep in a position that is stressful to the ulnar nerve (which is likely if you just have it for a few days before it dissipates). If the problem persists, get a referal to the neurologist.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, Ulnar, that was something the other guy said. But i am not so firm with the medical terms <.<

Thank you for this answer. If it is still there in a week or so, i will consult a doctor.

Strangest thing about this: since this has started, i have slept better than in the entire year before.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

When I sneeze, I get joint pain in my elbow, wrist, and shoulder. It's not particularly bad and it fades quickly, but it's weird. Should I be concerned?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Can you reproduce it without sneezing?
Is it a certain positioning or the act of quick sudden movement that makes it hurt?
Anything you did as of late that was out of the ordinary for that arm?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I will get incredibly sore arms if I have severe sneezes - particularly if there are several in a row. I know that sneezing causes me to tense up, so I figure it was muscle pain from that. For me, I don't think it happens with anything else.
-This space intentionally left blank
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Stahlseele wrote:Can you reproduce it without sneezing?
Is it a certain positioning or the act of quick sudden movement that makes it hurt?
Efforts to reproduce the pain with a sneezing motion have failed, as have various other rapid arm movements. Seems like it's sneezing only.
Anything you did as of late that was out of the ordinary for that arm?
Nope.
ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

I dislocated my shoulder a few weeks ago and, while I have been feeling less pain and having more mobility in my shoulder, my bicep and elbow have begun to hurt.

I have seen an orthopedist and have an MRI scheduled next week, but am wondering if I should try to get another appointment with the doctor or add my elbow to the MRI.

I've been wearing a sling at work, and even when not in a sling my elbow has been bent more or less at a 90 degree angle most of the time. It hurts to extend it, but the pain is lessened by heat and massage while extending. The pain feels very similar to when I have overworked my elbow and bicep at the gym, just more. When I take the time to extend it, and keep it at an obtuse angle the pain will go away. Putting it in a sling though will guarantee it will be painful when I take it off. I also feel some muscle twitches in the inside hollow of my elbow when I've had the sling on for a while. I try to wear the sling at work because it lets everyone know I'm hurt and not to climb or pull on my arm (I'm a preschool teacher.) I also noticed that if I spend a whole day without wearing the sling my shoulder starts to hurt, I assume from fatigue after having to hold itself in position for hours.

I've been taking ibuprofen every four hours.

I'm wondering:
1. Should I see a doctor sooner than next week?
2. Is there a way I can use my sling that will let me have my cake and eat it too? That is, stabilize my shoulder and have a straight elbow.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Chamomile wrote:When I sneeze, I get joint pain in my elbow, wrist, and shoulder. It's not particularly bad and it fades quickly, but it's weird. Should I be concerned?
deaddmwalking wrote:I will get incredibly sore arms if I have severe sneezes - particularly if there are several in a row. I know that sneezing causes me to tense up, so I figure it was muscle pain from that. For me, I don't think it happens with anything else.
When I sneeze hard I get pain in my upper arms, the rest of my arms, and legs. In that order, based on severity of the sneeze. Doesn't seem to be related any specific movement, it feels internal. Always assumed it was blood pressure related seeing how it starts in my extremities closest to my chest, and travels outward with harder sneezes. I even found a clickbait article to back me up (take it with a grain of salt):
http://www.prevention.com/health/7-things-you-never-knew-about-sneezing wrote:"Think about the first thing you do when you feel that tickle in your nose: You take a big, deep breath and hold it. That deep breath tightens the muscles in your chest and increases pressure in your lungs—all of which stems the flow of blood to your heart, momentarily lowering your blood pressure and increasing your heart rate. When you let all that air out in one big gush, your blood pressure quickly goes back up and your heart rate down. The sudden drop can make it seem like your heart stopped for a second, according to researchers at the Library of Congress, but for most people it's just a little slower.'
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

my thing has always been that there's a specific spot on my elbows that when I pinch, hurts like I'm pinching my chest and if I do it right, my legs. I therefore believe that people's brains are too fucking dumb to figure out where a sensation is coming from sometimes, so it's probably just that your brain is dumb and got the nerves confused.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

So, been wondering what some options are for anxiety and depression treatment. Started using St John's Wort back in the summer and it definitely seems to work for me, though keeping stocked can be a pain in the ass (Plus it isn't tax deductible like prescription meds).

I guess I have general anxiety, but social anxiety is a big part of it. I'm wondering how ones normally treats/medicates that, and what are ways that don't turn me into a zombie?

tl;dr Looking to finally see about getting proper treatment for depression and anxiety and want to minimize the side effects.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Um, there are like a shitload of options and exploring them is a matter of going to see a psychiatrist, talking to them, trying things out, and possibly undertaking blood/sleep/whatever tests.

Depression is an influence on anxiety and vice-versa. Your anxiety may be shutting you down or your depression may be sandbagging you in the face of minor obstacles.

Medicate treatments are extremely varied because the nature of these conditions and the reaction to the drugs appropriate for them are both highly variable; you may be looking at SSRIs, benzos, stimulants, or others. If you are serious about treatment you should also be undertaking wellness rigors like therapy, sleep hygiene, diet, and exercise.

Personally, every once in a while I do an absolutely terrifying amount of ketamine, return from the yawning chasm of oblivion a day or two later, and spend a sleepless week or so on maintenance dosage to maintain my compulsions long enough to place myself back on the trajectory of my ambition. Everyone's different.
Nachtigallerator
Journeyman

Post by Nachtigallerator »

It depends on whether you're looking at depression or at anxiety - these two often co-occur to some degree, but the treatment differs a little. You may not actually have both - generalized anxiety disorder in particular often looks like depression in some respects, and of course depression can highlight fears and insecurities you can otherwise cope with, like Eikre said.

Anxiety disorders generally respond well to behavioral therapy. Some antidepressants are also licensed for use in treating GAS, and the effectiveness is about the same. In treating an anxiety disorder, psychiatrists will be extra cautious about placing you on benzodiazepines because they're most addicting when used in anxiety or addiction. The antidepressants you might be taking for GAS are SSRIs and usually well-tolerated. There is also pregabaline, an anticonvulsive drug that also reduces anxiety.

Depression also responds to psychotherapy as well as drugs, both with about the same effectiveness. With a diagnosis of depression, you're looking at a huge list of potential pharmacological options, but the first stop here are usually SSRIs, too. Funnily, ketamine is also on that list - but it comes very very late. Obviously, don't experiment with that. No matter the indication, benzos are not a long-term treatment option - but they can be used to keep you going while the long-term treatment begins to work.

If you decide to see a psychiatrist, absolutely tell them you're taking St. John's Wort at the moment. There is some evidence that it can be effective in treating depression, but it is a textbook example of a herbal remedy that interferes with a shitload of medical therapies. Exposure to the herb causes the liver to supercharge one of it's detoxification enzymes, and it's unfortunately the one that most medication goes through i.e. there will be less of the drug in your blood than expected.

With regard to side effects, stay in communication with your physician. Most side effects are relatively harmless and almost all of them are reversible if you switch to another drug.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Make sure to communicate well with your doctor. I don't know if it's the same where you live but firing your doctor for sucking may be an option. It took me a long time to find a doctor that didn't just tell me I was fine the way I was, or drug me until I couldn't feel feelings anymore (I have a very low tolerance for EVERYTHING, and get weird side effects so I need minimum doses for someone of my body weight).
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Yeah, I second the doctor firing idea. Doctors aren't infallible, so getting a second opinion is never a bad idea if it's possible.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Yeah, went to the doc about depression 10 years ago and he basically blew me off, as he tends to do with most medical problems my family brings to his attention. Things only ever seemed to show improvement with the herbal supplement, which made me realise just how much my my ability to think was being interferred with; I can actually focus on writing, be motivated, etc when it isn't constantly there.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

St.John's Wort has some beneficial attributes for mental health from what I've been told by professionals.

When my Neurologist was still living; they told me that Germany prescribes something like 50% of nervous disorders with St.John's Wort (also; that in Germany St.JW is obtained via prescription; and not over the counter). However, they were also 80+ years old; so it's likely things changed in Germany since they were there.

============

My own question involves balacing my own prescription withdrawl with prescription side effects.

Specifically: Sertraline (aka Zoloft); it's been 60-90 odd days that I've started taking it (going from a highish dose (75mg); down to a lower one due to side-effects (50 mg); up to a higher one (75 mg); then up to an even higher one (100 mg); all with increasingly worsening side-effects).

It's obvious that Zoloft has no benefits for me (literally; I've seen no benefits) that remotely balance out the laundry list of side-effects I've been having (near-constant suicidal ideation; inability to focus mentally; increased social anxiety; irregular/erratic muscle spasms; being in a pharmaceutical fog where sleep lasts 1-2 hours, and being awake is tinted by muscle pain/exaustion).

So, my (current) Psychiatrist is having me on a gradually reducing dosage (from current dosage of 100mg, to 75mg for 1week, 50mg for 1 week; and 25mg in the 4th week; before cessation of Zolofot/Sertraline as medication.

However; I've also run out of my 100 mg pills for the past 4-5 days; and haven't picked up my prescription for the remaining medication. Which leads to my question.

Is the withdrawl of Sertraline so severe that the patient would prefer to continue with the side effects of taking Sertraline; or are the withdrawl symptoms less worse than the sideffects I'll have from lowering my dosage to an eventual 0mg?

Honestly; I feel like the withdrawl from zoloft will be less painful if I'm also not suffering it's side effects for 3 more weeks. I've been off for a few days now, and I'd rather not have to pick up the cessation prescription; but I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.