Erfworld: the RPG

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Erfworld: the RPG

Post by virgil »

Well, Erfworld is apparently deciding to officially get behind a community created RPG - and are surprisingly realistic in their optimism for getting the game completed (estimating a working model in 2019+). Their first goal is looking at designing rules for stack vs stack combat for the core foundation; with some acknowledgement they want to eventually expand it to Civ-style 4X gameplay.

I'm going to go ahead and join in on this, wish me luck.
Last edited by virgil on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

So by "RPG" you mean "wargame?"
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I thought the rules of Erfworld were "make stuff up as I go along". Admittedly I stopped reading it a while ago, once it slowed down to a crawl.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Seems silly, since the aspects of Erfworld that make it unique (Fate) can't really be mechanically represented, and the world without those features is a very generic hex-based system.

The parts that they can do, have almost certainly been done better than they can, and the parts they can't do - well.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

Chamomile wrote:So by "RPG" you mean "wargame?"
Yeah, Erfworld is a story told within the universe of a turn-based fantasy wargame in the vein of Fallen: Enchantress or Endless Legend. You could create that game if you wanted to - and as a light-hearted boardgame that encouraged comedic byplay through integration of pop culture elements into unit types I think you could build something fun, but an RPG? The universe isn't built the right way.
Last edited by Mechalich on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Occluded Sun wrote:Seems silly, since the aspects of Erfworld that make it unique (Fate) can't really be mechanically represented, and the world without those features is a very generic hex-based system.

I have little faith in fan projects in general but I don't really agree with your specific concerns. Erfworld's fluff is all glib parody and homage but the mechanics themselves are still largely undefined and thus still leaves some room for novelty. From a fanboy perspective I would think the whole thing where new comics are super likely to conflict with the tabletop rules you gin up would be more galling than the idea of hexes being generic. Shit like fate could be represented in game as things like cooperative modes with traitor mechanics, secret win conditions and other asymmetric information gimmicks and is basically a non-issue.
bears fall, everyone dies
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

A somewhat original aspect of Erfworld is the way you get casters.
-You can't decide to specifically recruit a caster. Sometimes when you recruit a regular commander they just happen to pop with magic powers instead of combat bonus.
-The chance of getting a caster by recruitment goes down by the number of casters you control, seemingly dropping to zero by the time you have about 3 casters.
-You don't get to decide what type of caster you get either. So each game is different depending on the initial combination of casters you roll. And sometimes you just roll full warlords and get to go raiding extra hard.
-However you can capture enemy casters and add them to your ranks, plus there's the magic kingdom where every turn there's a selection of barbarian casters available for hire. What casters are willing to work for you also depends on your nation, like healers don't like high-level croakmancers very much. However if a barbarian caster really likes your nation they may permanently join your side.

I also find interesting the natural allies bit. You can diversify your troop recruitment options by allying with wild tribes, but every types doesn't like another type so you'll lock yourself of certain options no matter what you pick. You can however ditch old allies to make room for new ones if you find a type you like better.
hogarth wrote:I thought the rules of Erfworld were "make stuff up as I go along". Admittedly I stopped reading it a while ago, once it slowed down to a crawl.
Actually a key characteristic is that the comic mentions what appears to be a minor rule and later on that minor rule is exploited for a tactical genius maneuver, like "fliers in the air carrying a heavy unit drop to the ground". Although other times yes it does pull stuff out of nowhere but at least manages to avoid too much self-contradiction. And the author isn't afraid to go back and fix things when the fans point something just doesn't flow correctly. Or just blatantly retcons stuff like the black dwagon extinction and twolls losing regeneration.

Plus it's managing to update twice a week for the last months, not too shabby.
Last edited by maglag on Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Chamomile wrote:So by "RPG" you mean "wargame?"
Because D&D isn't and doesn't have memories of trying to also handle larger scale combat?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

When the core foundation of your game is mass combat and your ultimate goal is 4X empire building, in what way can your game possibly be described as an RPG and not a wargame?
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

What on Earth is Erfworld? I can't even tell if it's the proper name of the thing or a corruption.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Ah, a webcormic then.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)