[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

And, apparently, on life support for the last five years. If it were me, I'd have died in 2011 at 94, because fuck 5 years of life support.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Maxus wrote:
Mask_De_H wrote:It also caught Zsa Zsa Gabor.
She was 99. I think we can forgive that one.
She was two months off almost to the day from making her centennial. Plus what Prak said.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

MSI is doing a Dream PC giveaway. I mean, so long as your dream rig has MSI parts and is less than $3000. But, I mean, those aren't huge limits (the price limit just means I needed to pare back from the SSD drives and 3 foot monitor...)
Last edited by Prak on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Korea is overtaking Japan in its own discipline now O.o
NSFW SITE
https://www.sankakucomplex.com/2016/12/ ... bile-mech/
NSFW SITE
Korea has beaten not only Japan but the USA to the punch in regards to mecha construction, as videos have been released online featuring Korea’s METHOD-1 moving in all its glory, a marvel which could potentially revolutionize the military field once enough sufficiently troubled adolescents are found to pilot them.
Videos of the METHOD-1 in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCrBC_V92hY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivuQ5ULM70E
Praise has naturally started to pour in online:
Trump needs to fund this shit so we can stay competitive.
America leads the world in all other weapons technologies, we can’t let fucking Korea bet us in giant biped fighting robots.
WE DID IT GUYS. WE MADE ANIME REAL AND THAT ANIME IS G GUNDAM.
Are the military ones going to be painted in camo and military colors, or are they going to paint them anime style? Anime style makes the most sense.
Now the Koreans are making mecha for the Japs, too? Fucking pathetic what has becone of the nips. No cultural hegemony. Absolutely degenerate.
Should paint them with giant targets on them. :^)
Don’t all these mechs still need to be plugged in? Or maybe they can work, like, a few minutes on battery power?
Unless there are plenty of outlets on the battlefield, I wouldn’t expect cool anime mech battles anytime soon.
Nuclear reactors. How do you think animu mechs are powered.
They could easily be powered by a gasoline powered generator.
The mecha is supposedly being built to test what scenarios it could possibly work in and for the evaluation of its currently equipped parts, though more astute observers are naturally concerned about its ability to fight whilst navigating wheel-hostile terrain, something that has not been extensively touched on.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

...I'm just envisioning the test video from Iron Man 2 where the powered armor breaks a guy's spine...

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I look forward to every war of the future being a season of Gekiganger 3.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I should point out they're not developing them for military purposes (yet).

After all if you're creating giant robot hands, they would probably be a lot more pratical for stuff like heavy construction, rescue operations and stuff that actually demands holding/fine manipulation instead of destruction.

If they however become popular enough to be mass produced then it may be efficient to just strap guns on them rather than making mechas with guns instead of hands.

Like in the original Gundam timeline.
Well, just need to build space colonies to be dropped on Earth before we get our full mecha war then.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Basically, these right now are Labors. But as seen in Patlabor, these can be used to do so much more than just build stuff. And of course, once a viable tech is established, somebody will find a military use for it. First will be military builder bots, then they will need to be armored to keep them functioning. And then armed to let them defend themselves.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Maybe this actually is political: Research shows studying economics might make people more selfish

I think that only links to audio and not a transcript or article. The study hinges on a game where one person gets $20 and is told to split it however they want with a partner. The partner either accepts or rejects the offer, without negotiating. If they reject, no one gets anything. So the "rational" thing fit person 1 to do is split 19-1, and the rational thing for person2 to do is to take any non-zero offer.

In practice, people tend to split roughly evenly, even among strangers. They seem to gravitate toward fairness. However, if this is preceded by teaching people about capitalist economics, they tend to get greedy.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

RobbyPants wrote:Maybe this actually is political: Research shows studying economics might make people more selfish

I think that only links to audio and not a transcript or article. The study hinges on a game where one person gets $20 and is told to split it however they want with a partner. The partner either accepts or rejects the offer, without negotiating. If they reject, no one gets anything. So the "rational" thing fit person 1 to do is split 19-1, and the rational thing for person2 to do is to take any non-zero offer.

In practice, people tend to split roughly evenly, even among strangers. They seem to gravitate toward fairness. However, if this is preceded by teaching people about capitalist economics, they tend to get greedy.
That's because the researchers are basically telling them what to do. It's not that they become more greedy, it's because they're responding to their perception of the game's meta-rules and the researcher's expectations.

However, the rational thing depends on if you can see your partner or not. In an internet study, your partner probably doesn't actually exist, and is just a computer algorithm that responds according to how much money the researchers are willing to spend to make the game look real.

Because you can use half as many participants and spend half as much money to get the same results. Less than half if you just have your system reject most splits.

If you can interact with your partner and know them, and will have to interact with them in the future, a 50-50 split is better, so as not to piss them off, and not make yourself look like a pushover.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I am not familiar with this specific study, but I am familiar with others that have done nearly the exact same thing, and they are not prefaced with economics lessons because that would be dumb. They ask your major/degrees/coursework among some other generic boilerplate questions, and in the end you probably aren't even aware your level of formal economics education is the variable under consideration (especially if they ask those questions after the experiment).

Also, I've talked to a grad student who ran the not in-person version of this study, and he used past datasets from real (but also not in-person) experiments. So you would make an offer, the computer would pick a respondent at random who had received that offer, and that would be your response. And of course, the entire time you were being lead to believe there was a real person taking the study at the same time who would see your offer, respond, and actually get their share of the money.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Guy who just wanted some pizza falls for scam and hit by a sting

So, I guess there are people overseas who have found a novel way to turn stolen cards into money- they post on Twitter offering to buy you pizza if you send them some small piddling amount, like, send them $10, they order you $30 of pizza. Something like that.

So police turned up to a guy's doorstep dressed as Domino's delivery guys and almost tazed his ass, because someone else committed a crime and made him an unwitting accomplice.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"Non-political" may be a bit of a stretch, but I just learned about the "Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands." Which... apparently offers citizenship and residency to all LGBT people in a thing similar to Israel's Law of Return and is "at war" with Australia.

I.... am so tempted to look into immigrating there.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

A guy is being prosecuted for using a basilisk hack to attack a reporter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/tech ... rrest.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

We are truly living in the future, and it's the depressing kind of cyberpunk.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Is there a happy kind of cyberpunk? I mean, "things are shit and we're angry about it" is right there in the name. If it were happy, we'd need a new word for it. Personally, my vote goes to "implausible bullshit."
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

DSMatticus wrote:Is there a happy kind of cyberpunk? I mean, "things are shit and we're angry about it" is right there in the name. If it were happy, we'd need a new word for it. Personally, my vote goes to "implausible bullshit."
Postcyberpunk.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@DSMatticus
Does Appleseed count?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Stahlseele wrote:@DSMatticus
Does Appleseed count?
Deunan's light skinned mother was killed by Black supremacists for not being Black enough, French politicians grow sex slaves in cloning facilities, America is busy annexing the Americas.

They're also on the verge of replacing humanity with bioroids, but the bioroids are basically nice people.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

So, I ran across this:

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/so ... story.html

Cool, cool, wait what?
Earlier this year the village hit the headlines when Stroud Life revealed to a wider public how a gorilla which had lived in Uley as a human around 100 years ago had been stuffed and was on show in a museum in New York.
Um, ok. I guess that happened:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-glou ... e-38756918
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

She used her own services.
I'd buy that she's just a reckless idiot, rather than actively malicious, considering that she did that to her own butt. She still needs to go to prison, for everyone's safety.
erik
King

Post by erik »

hyzmarca wrote:She used her own services.
I'd buy that she's just a reckless idiot, rather than actively malicious, considering that she did that to her own butt. She still needs to go to prison, for everyone's safety.
I seriously doubt anyone's future safety is at risk considering she is unemployable in that field already. The real danger is if she goes to prison and the other inmates get sprung, cuz baby got back.