Report Bugs Here!

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

cthulhu
Duke

Report Bugs Here!

Post by cthulhu »

Searching for 'shadowrun' in all forums reports no hits, which is patently a lie, but TNE actually returns a thread.

Is the search index still rebuilding or something?
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

It's not just you. PhpBB search is notoriously crap.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

In the Last Post column on the front page, it only says who posted last. Could it be set so that it shows which post was last modified?
KauTZ
1st Level

Post by KauTZ »

All the stickies in IMHO have indentation problems. It is slightly mitigated by the fact that everything is split up by separate posts, but it's still really weird. Also, the first post's paragraph titles are super small in all the stickies.
neilhuiz
1st Level

Re: Report Bugs Here!

Post by neilhuiz »

cthulhu wrote:Searching for 'shadowrun' in all forums reports no hits, which is patently a lie, but TNE actually returns a thread.

phpBB indexes posts when they are created. We inserted data directly in the database, so no index was created for old posts. Once the site is indexed in Google, we can change the search to use Google's site search.
neilhuiz
1st Level

Post by neilhuiz »

fbmf wrote:In the Last Post column on the front page, it only says who posted last. Could it be set so that it shows which post was last modified?
You can feel free to look up a MOD using the mod database on phpbb.com. If one exists, I can install it.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Uhm...in English?

Sorry.

Game on,
fbmf
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Is http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=3284
what you're talking about?

Sorry, I am not an IT guy.

EDIT: This one looks kewl also:
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=1663

Game On,
fbmf
neilhuiz
1st Level

Post by neilhuiz »

fbmf wrote:Is http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=3284
what you're talking about?

Sorry, I am not an IT guy.

EDIT: This one looks kewl also:
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=1663

Game On,
fbmf
That's what I meant. The first one (username in viewtopic) is not likely to work because it is vor version 3.0. We are running 2.0.22.

I'll see what I can do about installing the admin userlist mod, though.

[EDIT] Install went just fine. You now have a nice user listing in the admin panel (last link on the left).
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

neilhuiz wrote:
cthulhu wrote:Searching for 'shadowrun' in all forums reports no hits, which is patently a lie, but TNE actually returns a thread.

phpBB indexes posts when they are created. We inserted data directly in the database, so no index was created for old posts. Once the site is indexed in Google, we can change the search to use Google's site search.
Argh, that is.. painful. Is there any way to retroactively index the old posts?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

neilhuiz wrote:

As a side, that's a effin weird Database indexing system.

I guess it's easier to index based off of the timecode primarily rather than indexing it off of subject matter? Trying to see this from a coder's pov.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/434

That proclaims to allow you to rebuild the tables for the search tool - would it be possible to get this to fly?
neilhuiz
1st Level

Post by neilhuiz »

cthulhu wrote:http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/434

That proclaims to allow you to rebuild the tables for the search tool - would it be possible to get this to fly?
We can either use that, or install a MOD that adds a google search box to the site.

As a note, running the script you linked would take a very long time as it loads every post, one at a time, and then throws it to the standard search indexer. This indexing is usually done when a post is created so that there is a little hit every time you post, rather than a large hit at one time.
- Neil

Code: Select all

int getRandomInt() { 
    return 4; // obtained using roll of fair die 
              // guaranteed to be random 
}
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather have the Google search than phpBB's crappy built-in search.
CKentavr
NPC

Post by CKentavr »

The password dialog says it emails me, but no email ever shows up.

Is your outgoing mail server configured correctly? If I recall, it defaults to pointing at the local address instead of the actual IP for trackbacks. If that's so, my mail server will refuse the mail. (Which is RFC)

Aside from that, my email address should work.

-Crissa
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Fbmf can reset your password so that you can log in and edit your own account.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

When I try to quote I get a redirect to the index. It could just be my browser setup playing badly with the way phpBB redirects.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Surgo wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather have the Google search than phpBB's crappy built-in search.
Google never seems to hit all the posts on a subject, try searching the old den for 'shadowrun' you don't get all the hits.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Give people both to choose from?
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

It makes me log in every single time when I try to post (despite me clicking the 'stay logged in' button, and sometimes it blocks a post and says "Invalid session. Please resubmit form."

So...what gives?
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Log in, then specifically log out. That should remove your cookie. Then, log in and try again.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend clearing cookies to see if physically deleting it helps.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Had some issues with that, clearing the cookies seemed to have fixed the issue.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Annoying: phpBB stores what threads have been visited locally instead of on the server.

That really makes it pretty useless, as every time I switch from computer to computer to read, the threads are marked 'unread' or 'read' by whatever was read on that computer.

It also uses a double redirect and eventually goes to the first post of the day, often meaning it sends me to the same post more than several times.

Is there any way I can just disable this function?

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

that's odd, because I don't have that problem...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

That's odd, because it happens here.

What are you doing differently? Do you log in each time separately?

-Crissa