Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Ancient History wrote:Boondocks - Riley's Fuck You Speech

I miss this show.
Season 4 was garbage.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtG93BebJ4
So, first GITS Movie Trailer with Scarlet Johansen.
Carefull optimistic or RUINED?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Stahlseele wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtG93BebJ4
So, first GITS Movie Trailer with Scarlet Johansen.
Carefull optimistic or RUINED?
I was really hoping she'd be Batou. It looks cool and seems like she would do well with her Black Widow chops. Still, I wish Hollywood didn't whitewash everything.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Why were you hoping for HER to be BATOU? O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Stahlseele wrote:Why were you hoping for HER to be BATOU? O.o
Ha ha, well, not that she's a great Batou, just that I think it would be more challenging and she's probably up for it. As soon as I saw her though I was dreading another whitewashing, and figured it would be a sweet twist if it were instead a gender swap like Battlestar Galactica's Starbuck (which I think worked awesomely).
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

erik wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:Why were you hoping for HER to be BATOU? O.o
Ha ha, well, not that she's a great Batou, just that I think it would be more challenging and she's probably up for it. As soon as I saw her though I was dreading another whitewashing, and figured it would be a sweet twist if it were instead a gender swap like Battlestar Galactica's Starbuck (which I think worked awesomely).
She would make a garbage Batou. no part about a small hyper attractive woman fits any part of Batou's style, personality, or place in the story. In fact, it would undermine several of Batou's actual purposes, which are to contrast against the Major.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I'm not optimistic, the dialogue in the trailer was just bad.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I was hoping for an epic Scream-style bait-and-switch, where Johansson played the Major for the opening sequence, and then they switched out that body model for an Asian actress who'd take the role for the rest of the movie.

Oh well, at least Johannson gets to continue rubbing her action-star career in the face of every executive who refuses to give Black Widow a solo movie.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Seeing how whiteish the characters in the GITS Universe are anyway . .
I mean, come on, Batou looks like a borderline albino most of the time <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

That trailer looks dumb.

So, right away you can tell they're going for a different aesthetic. GITS has always hovered somewhere between grounded in reality and bleakly industrial, but the live action film is clearly going for big, bold, and flashy. That robogeisha hangout is absurdly modern. I won't count that against the movie generally, but it's worth pointing out.

Then Scarjo takes off her coat, and we're treated to an outfit that is somehow even stupider than the one the major already wears. Are you fucking serious? Look, I generally make a lot of room for the rule of cool, but... 1) the rule of cool does not apply here because that looks fucking stupid, and 2) the character wearing that outfit is essentially an on-duty SWAT operative. Where the fuck is she keeping her gear, even basic shit like extra magazines? She has more pockets in her casual streetwear outfit! What the hell!

Generic slow-mo fight choreography, hurrah. God this scene is abysmal. Look, I'm generally fine with absurd gun kata. GITS actually has quite a few scenes - including the episode they're borrowing from with this robogeisha stuff - where cyborg badasses deliver beatdowns to people with guns. But there are also plenty of scenes - again, including the episode they're borrowing from with this robogeisha stuff - where cyborg badasses remember that guns have an effective range larger than a couple meters and use them that way. And I can't actually think of a lot of scenes where characters act like their gun has the effective range of a sword and deliberately charge people just so they can... shoot them harder?

You can even see that the goon in the back during the OMGEPIC!!1! wall-run cut has his gun pointed at Scarjo the entire time and instead of pulling the trigger just stumbles backwards lamely and waits to be shot because... well, it'd ruin the scene if he pulled the trigger, wuddn't it? Ultimately, I think slow-mo "look at what we can do with wires and CG" was completely the wrong approach for this film. You want the action to be fast and violent and it'd be nice if it made some semblance of fucking sense.

Robo-Scarjo scene, where they're building her or whatever - that's incredibly uninspired. I get what they are going for, and it's not a bad thing to go for, but visually it just falls flat. Cyborg innards can and should be a lot cooler looking than that, your CG guys need to get their shit together. The dialogue over top of it is somehow even worse. "You're the first of your kind, but you're not invulnerable." GEE, THANKS DOC. I THOUGHT THAT BECAUSE I WAS MADE OF PLASTIC AND METAL THAT I WAS IMPERVIOUS TO ALL HARM. YOU KNOW, LIKE A SPORK. "Maybe next time you can design me better." SHUT THE FUCK UP SCARJO YOU'RE JUST MAKING THINGS WORSE.

"Everyone around me, they feel connected to something... something I'm not..." aaand cut to bleak cyberpunk alley, focus camera on lady with strange chrome facepaint. That's definitely what I think when I think humanity's interconnectedness. I'm getting mixed signals here, movie. You are dropping vaguely philosophical concepts and then convincing me that maybe you're going to handle them with all the grace and thought of a freshman hopped up on redbull pulling an all-nighter on a philosophy 101 essay.

"You were dying. We saved you, and now you save others." I cringed, movie. You made me cringe.

Mediocrity all around.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Yeah, this looks terrible. The characters and voices are wrong, the characterizations are worse (the Major is stoic, not Waangsty). The not-nude cheap plastic look is awful (and she's a damn soldier, for fucks sake, who carries quite a bit of kit)

And the CGI action scenes are expected, yet as always, still absurdly dull.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

]
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

https://youtu.be/AjXr9Nj5ZbI
Paths of Hate. Very well done.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

erik
King

Post by erik »

SNL Hillary persuading an elector.

It won't happen, but at least I'm seeing the idea in public media now. Too late though. McKinnon is just getting better and better at HRC. *sigh*
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

NSFW Happy Tree Friends-esque holiday animation- https://www.facebook.com/maurice.gajda/ ... 782794999/
(video contains animated dicks, violence, scatological elements)
Last edited by Prak on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
erik
King

Post by erik »

Not youtube, but video...
https://www.twitch.tv/seebotschat

There's some trainwreck quality of watching two voice-chat bots talk to each other.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Homemade full auto crossbow: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKGjRoSofA
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."