D&D Tech

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

D&D Tech

Post by Wiseman »

It's been well known that WOTC has generally failed in the tech department. Most of their technology to assist in gaming has failed.

But what kind of applications and technology would you like to see released?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Virtual tabletops and rules wikis. The 3.5 SRD and roll20 are both pretty good examples. I'd prefer a wiki that sold splatbooks as unlock codes that let you click through links to splat rules and options, and displayed those rules/options on master lists or tables, and I'd prefer a virtual tabletop that let me make macros for tabletop functions and not just chat commands so I can do cool things like have a red line drawn from one token to another automatically while playing a fire sound effect and rolling the attack and damage for a scorching ray. Support for animated tokens would also be neat, so I can have pixel art that bobs up and down and slashes his sword when he attacks. Virtual Tabletop does that, but doesn't have support for importing static tokens quickly and easily as roll20 can, so if I want an ettin mini, I need to 3D design my very own ettin mini (or hope someone else already has, not likely).

But really, I already have most of the stuff that I want.
Last edited by Chamomile on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

A I'd prefer an entirely different approach to add-on content like splat books or optional rules. Tech wise, rules should have a strong relational database blackened. If you buy a splat book, all those bits should seemlessly fall inline with the main rule set. Once you have that, the ability to toggle or filter content becomes immensely simpler and very powerful. Andragor's (sp?) are files are a great stand-alone example of this.
Last edited by Harshax on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

I just ran into a nifty homebrew page-layout generator in the style of 5e. I haven't played with it much, but it seems like a pretty cool way to turn house rules into a professional-looking digital format for your players. (I can see both dark and light side uses for this.)

As for useful tools that don't exist yet/anymore?
1. A cross-platform app

* 1a. That is quickly searchable, maybe even with social aspects built in. Such as rules clarifications or discussions being pulled in when there's Wi-Fi access.

* 1b. A character creator that can filter your options for you and seemlessly pull up extra info when it's needed. Not all players need a full feat description all the time, but *more info* capability can be incredibly helpful.

** 1b.1 Cloud saves (cloud service neutral)

* 1c. Homebrew allowance, also with cloud saves

2. Quick-start rules, for no-fuss gaming/introduction to gaming
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

The rules wiki needs the ability to handle the following requests:
*This particular item is shit, don't ever show it to me again.
*Don't ever show me anything rated less than 4 stars individually.
*Don't ever show me anything from books rated less than 3 stars.
*Don't ever show me anything from Mongoose Publishing.
*On this particular search, show me even all the shit I asked not to see, without resetting my preferences.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Remember that awesome character generator disc that came with D&D 3.0e?

Something like that, but free, online download, with the option to edit the code for house rules.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.