How does MtG mechanically represent super speed?

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

How does MtG mechanically represent super speed?

Post by OgreBattle »

Just wondering how they've represented "super fast/reflexes" mechanically through the years. Some things that come to mind are...

Haste: come out attacking, lightning greaves
Flash: Show up at any time to intercept foes
Flanking: "Agility" gave you flanking and showed dudes fencing fast
First Strike/Doublestrike: Some quick fencer and snake creatuers do that
Untap: Seen on at least one white instant "Veteran's Reflexes" to untap target creature
Haste+Trample: Trample alone gives a heavy feeling, but Haste+Trample gives the imagery of overruning your foes with sheer force of speed.

Am I missing anything?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Apparently, according to, I believe, Mark Rosewater's blog, Flanking is actually supposed to represent being on horseback. But, yeah, reflexes and agility and such.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Some "quick" effects are represented by cards replacing themselves. Either "cantrip" (a spell that has you draw a card after it takes effect), or a "loot" (drawing a card and discarding a card).

-Username17
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Split Second from Time Spiral was meant to represent spells so fast no-one could react to them.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Fast creatures could be represented by dying on the turn they come into play -- Ball Lightning is one, and one of the Chandras makes Elementals with her + ability.

The pseudo-keyword Daunt (can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less) could fit, as well as Unblockability and Shadow. Those are better for a fast character like The Flash as opposed to a 'normally' fast creature.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

creatures with haste and "sacrifice this creature at end of turn" actually represent creatures made of lightning. They're fast, but the "sacrifice at eot" isn't about them being fast, it's about them being a flash of lightning.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

There'saso the "dash" creatures that haste in and return to your hand at the end of turn.