Dungeon Ball

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lokathor
Duke

Dungeon Ball

Post by Lokathor »

Here is a game that can be played with your friends who you'd play a tabletop game with. It was created in collaboration with Pixels and some others that are local to us that don't have TGD accounts. Unlike with many "tabletop" games that can in fact be played via Skype and such, you probably have to play this game in person. Maybe not. You'll see what I mean in a moment.

First, there are some number of miniatures that are obtained and placed in the middle of the table. Each player takes turn drafting one miniature at a time. Every player must start with an equal number of miniatures, so if there's any spare then discard them.

Players roll d20s to determine who goes first. Highest first, and then play proceeds to the left.

On each player's turn, they pick a miniature to have fight (placing it toward the center of the table). They also pick a player to attack. The defending player selects their defending miniature and likewise advances it to the middle of the table for visual effect. Then each player rolls a d20, and the high roller wins. If there is a tie, resolve again using the same miniatures.

If the attacking player wins, they make a new rule to add to the game. New rules can be vetoed by other players with justification (generally that the rule is too hard to remember, or too hard to resolve), but the winner gets to make another rule instead if they're vetoed. New rules go into effect at the start of the next turn, they do not affect the resolution of the current turn.

Players should of course feel free to affect any of the "default" rules described here, but they should not simply countermand a rule created by another player during the game. You had your chance to argue against it when the rule was being created. Additions, Updates, and/or Clarifications to a previously created rule are considered fair game if other players agree to it. Otherwise, a new rule can be anything at all that the other players will agree to.

Please note that there is no initial winning condition or losing condition within this game. Such conditions must be added via new rules if they are desired.

A popular rule involves "The Bandit", whereby a player near to the game but not actually playing gets to perform an attack against a player from time to time using some sort of spare miniature. Bandit attacks can be triggered by all sorts of conditions that might occur. Bandit fights happen between turns, out of the normal turn turn order, and after they are resolved the normal turn order resumes. Often, the Bandit's player gets to make a rule whenever the Bandit wins.

Other popular rules involve adjustments to the battle resolution itself, such as bonuses in the fight based on the fighting miniature's characteristics (assuming that you have a variety of visually distinct miniatures), or even replacing the d20 roll with some other sort of resolution.

New rules might also create long term effects based on the results of a battle, such as removing miniatures, giving miniatures improvements of various kinds, or creating "team wide" effects of various sorts.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So Nomic but with objectively worse start point, and the requirement to have miniatures for no apparent reason?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I was not previously familiar with Nomic, I had to look it up just now, but yeah, I suppose this is technically a form of that game. I'm not sure how the start point is "objectively" worse.

The point of the minis is that if you play dnd or other tabletop games then you probably have a lot of minis on or near the gaming table, and this lets you use them in a new way. You make up a lot of fun rules that adjust how the mini fights go. In terms of this game vs a more "default" version of Nomic, the mini battle element gives you a theme that the rules can be focused around as play unfolds.

I admit that, based on what I know of you Kaelik, you might be the least suited person in the entire Den for a game like this. Basically, the fact that its all nonsense is part of the point. It's called "Dungeon Ball" because the initial concept was, "Calvin Ball, with minis."
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Well since I have played and enjoyed Nomic on multiple occasions, enough to know that the "every single person agrees to a new rule" rules basically prevents the game from being played (unless or until every single person agrees to change that rule), I'm really not sure where you get to have an opinion that I'm not suited to a game of rules writing.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Yeah, see maybe I'm not articulating the idea right. That's my fault.

The game isn't about the rules changes. The game is about the minis battles. The rules changes should be in service to having interesting minis battles. This is like Calvin Ball with miniatures. You shouldn't just be picking rules to make yourself win, you should be picking rules because they're awesome. If you're picking the kinds of rules where not everyone would pretty much agree to them right away because they make the game more interesting, intricate, and/or hilarious then you're not picking the right kinds of rules.

Here's the sorts of stuff we did the other day (not particularly ordered):
  • When you lose a match it's your turn next.
  • We handed out Ace through 10 of cards to each player, you throw down a card instead of a d20 roll (ace=1). You can't use your discarded cards again until you're out of cards.
  • When you win a match that mini ascends to Valhalla. If you're out of minis obviously you're out of the game.
  • Both sides roll a d6 and add it to their card.
  • Jacks were added in to each person's pile, and you roll a d8 when you play a Jack.
  • If a 9 or a 10 is played by either player, the bandit attacks the player to the winner's left.
  • 6s or 8s cause the die to explode (regardless of how many sides the die has).
  • Valhalla is crowded: the number of minis that you have in Valhalla counts against your total.
  • If you win against the bandit you get a permanent +1.
  • The bandit rolls a d30
  • The bandit is also summoned if the two cards played add to 9 or 10
  • Queens were added, and you roll just the d6 but it explodes on any even number.
  • Kings were added, and they auto-win that match (against another king they tie and you go again).
  • You can put forward two minis and roll 2d6 (both go to Valhalla if you win)
  • We each had a bigger mini which was the "boss" monster. Each time the boss loses it gets a permanent +1.
  • If your boss is the last standing and you win a match with at least double the result of your opponent, you win the game.
  • Your boss has to have at least one permanent +1 on it to allow you to win the game.
  • Cards must be played randomly instead of picking which card to play.
  • The bandit is an honorless ne'er do well, and your Valhalla points count towards you instead of against you when fighting the bandit.
  • 1s cause the die to explode.
  • Minis holding a weapon get +1.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lokathor wrote:When you lose a match it's your turn next.
Quite apart from how your entire idea is that people will continue to focus on the meaningless mini battles while making rules that everyone agrees to because of their meaninglessness is terrible:

This rule literally makes the game a game between two people while everyone else watches.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Lokathor wrote: [*]The bandit rolls a d30
I just so happen to have one...
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.