[Singularity] Hacking Tactical Networks

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Neurosis
Duke

[Singularity] Hacking Tactical Networks

Post by Neurosis »

Hi guys. We publish a game called The Singularity System.
Disclosure: it does not sell amazingly well, but the proviso there is that we have been increasingly delinquent in getting it into distribution and on the stores of FLGS.

Ancient History (the concept, not the user): I did a print run of 250 copies for Origins 2013, ignorant of the fact that that was the very number of Shadowrun 5th Edition that Catalyst was bringing to the same convention (I did not know the smallness of the pond in which I sat).

Spread between my own "warehouse" (which is in my one-floor, one-bedroom apartment, lest anyone accidentally mistake me for even upper middle class) and my distributor's warehouse, I actually still have 79 of those copies STILL unsold now, three years and six months later. And I haven't been above just giving away hardback copies when the need takes me, either. Or trading with other creators. Or giving away review copies. Etcetera.

Catalysyt had sold out of their Limited Edition of SR5 before Origins 2013 was even over.

Personally, I think this has less to do with the OBJECTIVE QUALITY of the products and more to do with the disparity between the number of people anticipating SR5 (everyone at the con) and the number of people who had even heard of my game (literally no one, because I did literally no marketing).
When I try to sell it to strangers at conventions, I describe it this way. It's a setting neutral science fiction toolkit that allows you to create or import your own science fiction settings. You want to do anything from Star Wars to Star Trek to War Hams 40k to Shadowrun to Eclipse Phase to Halo...it can do that, with a little tweaking.

"Like GURPs?" I often hear.

No, it's not like GURPS or HERO. It's not Generic or Universal. It's different from GURPS or HERO in that it's not trying to be able to do everything for everybody. It's different from Eclipse Phase and Traveller in that it does not have a setting wedded (welded?) to its mechanics.

Here's some background on the mechanics: it uses d6 dice pools equal to your relevant skill or attribute (NOT attribute plus skill). As a rule, a 5 or higher is a hit. The more dice you have, the better chance you have of rolling hits.

Its one "big innovation" over SR3 and SR4 is that it splits the difference between them by using what I call 'fixed, flexible' target numbers. Basically, your target number can vary, but only in the range of four through six. Some tasks, like dodging a punch, are 'Easy', which means that '4s count too'. Some tasks, like dodging automatic weapons fire, are 'Hard', which means that 'only 6s count'. I think that's all the background you need.

(To me, having a target number that can move, but only rarely and within a limited range, is the sweet spot between SR3 and SR4. That's why SPLINTER and my old, obsolete storygame Anathema were built with a similar core mechanic.)

Final Tangent: Initiative works MUCH more like SR3 than SR4. Only instead of having a static number (like -10) you subtract from Initiative Scores between initiative passes, the number that's subtracted can vary. Let's say you're using Singularity to play Star Trek. Well, no one's a cyborg except maybe Data, so everyone gets one Initiative Pass and that's that, just like in good old D&D 3.X.

Let's say you're using Singularity to play something more like Shadowrun. Well then, any given cyborg's Nerve Augmentation might give them a ReAct value anywhere from nothing (one Initiative Pass per turn) through -20 to -10. Initiative is, as a rule, rolled on about somewhere between 6 and 14 dice and totalled. A 'borg with ReAct -20 (Nerve Augmentation Tier 2 or Tier 3) subtracts -20 from their Initiative between Initiative Passes, and therefore will usually get one or two ReActs (extra actions) per turn. A 'borg with ReAct -10 (Nerve Augmentation Tier 4) on the other hand subtracts only -10 from their Initiative between Initiative Passes, and therefore could easily get four or five ReActs (extra actions) per turn.

That wasn't a comprehensive explanation of our Singularity's initiative system, but it wasn't really meant to be, so if you've never played SR3 you're probably left scratching your head.

It's worth mentioning, even as a tangent within a 'tangent, that the 'ware that gets you a React Value does not ALSO increase your Initiative dice, a la Shadowrun.

Anyway, for some people, this might be too "fiddly bits". Personally, we've found it to be just right.
I am finishing up my fourth "Module" (NOT Adventure) for the system, called Infowar. When I say 'Module', I mean 'optional, plug-and-play, crunch only rules-kits that you can take or leave depending on the setting you want to build'. So, like your traditional 'splats', except little or no fluff, only about 30 pages, and $10.00 or less.

Infowar includes advanced rules for hacking. My design goals for those rules was to let Hackers do more cool shit in a way that was less MTP than in Core, but still very quick to resolve.

/Exposition

I wanted a little feedback on dese rules from youse guys if that's okay. It's the Den, so I know you can't be gentle, but if you could try to be whatever the Den equivalent of gentle is, that would be appreciate.
Last edited by Neurosis on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Infowar Level 2B: Universal Interface
As seen in: Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, et al.

The Universal Interface is a technology that has an equal chance of developing instead of, as well as, before, or after DNI. The Universal Interface is a level of technology beyond Infowar Level 1, whereas the DNI is a level of technology that can be assumed to exist alongside Infowar Level 1.

The Universal Interface is a piece of software that lets all computer systems (virtually everything) talk to all other computer systems (virtually anything else) wirelessly. All characters with a commlink are assumed to have a UI. All characters with a UI can interface with all other computer systems within 8 meters of them wirelessly with just a gesture (it is traditional to touch—or to nearly touch (see below)—the system you are interfacing with, but it is not necessary using direct wireless protocols.

When using direct wireless protocols, a glance at a system’s contents is a free action. A search for a specific file is a minor action. Attempting to actually download, upload, run, or delete is a major action. If the system is secured or encrypted, either of the former might require a Comms/Sensors Test at the GM’s discretion. If the file is secured or encrypted, the latter should certainly call for a Computers test at the GM’s discretion.

In most settings where UI exists, it is suggested that everyone but the most purposefully backwards, stubborn luddites makes heavy use of UI.

Two of the most common peripheral technologies alongside Universal Interfaces are smart vision and holographic para-interfaces.

Smart Vision is ordinarily enabled by SV Contacts, Mirror Shades, or Goggles. It’s also a standard option that comes free with all artificial eyes (see p. XX, Biotech). It enables real time tactical networking, augmented reality, minimap/radar overlays, and more. Details of how it is supposed to works appear on p. XX. Details of how it can be messed with by a clever hacker appear

Holographic Para-Interfaces are holographic keyboards and other user interfaces that only characters with UI are capable of seeing (via direct wireless protocols).

Holographic para-interfaces are fully visible, audible, and even provide tactile force feedback to any registered UI user (UI can register and login any legitimate user to any device or peripheral in a few microseconds, even multiple devices at once). The primary purpose of holographic para-interfaces is to make the <5% of the population not using UI less uncomfortable about UI users, by making the latter appear less like they’re just staring off vacantly into space, tapping their cyber-fingers in the vague direction of a console. The secondary purpose of holographic para-interfaces is that they look cool.

Smart Vision – How It’s Supposed To Work

Smart Vision users belong to secure networks known as Private Tactical Networks (PTNs, PNs, or TacNets). Every PTN can handle a number of simultaneous authorized users equal to its rating, squared (minimum 3). PTNs that are working correctly provide the following “soft” bonuses to all of their members:
• WAKWWAK: We All Know What We All Know: Members can share PIP windowed views of their HUD with other members at will, and this core principal informs all of the other benefits. This also enables all members of the PTN to totally see "bad-guys" through walls, as long as someone else has seen that bad guy.
• Automatic Marking of Targets: A subset of the above, whenever a hostile or friendly is seen by any member, that hostile or friendly’s is marked in the Smart Vision of every member until they are lost by all members. Targets can also be marked with intuitive iconography, so you can tell an enemy soldier from a tank from a roto-drone by its
• Automatic Marking of Killzones: The Smart Vision evaluates the blast radii of grenades and rockets in alarming shades of red, so you can avoid them, and any ‘killzones’ of heavy automatic fire in worrisome shades of yellow, so you can keep your distance.
• Mini-Map And Auto-Radar: Smart Vision automatically downloads and syncs all publicly available map data and overlays it on your HUD. Smart-Vision then uses its automatic marking and real-time vision-sharing to mark the last-known-position of all ‘marked’ hostiles and friendlies on your map overlay, updating in real time.
• Augmented Reality Perks: An AR overlay on your HUD shows you your current ammo count, a compass, the current windage, your own health status, the health status of other members of the PTN, and so on.

PTNs require at the minimum a functioning UI and a set of Artificial Eyes (p. XX, Biotech) or Vauggles (p. XX, Singularity Core). Subscribing to a TacNet is a Full Turn Action. Unsubscribing is a Minor Action.

Smart-Vision Integrated Private Tactical Networks have a program rating of 1-4 and cost 25,000 Credits x Rating.

The PTN can handle Rating x Rating subscribers (minimum 3).

All subscribers on the PTN receive the following benefits:
&#61558; +Rating dice to Initiative in personal combat.
&#61558; +Rating dice to Perception tests in personal combat.
&#61558; +Rating/2 (round down) dice to attack marked targets in personal combat.
&#61558; The Difficulty Stage for Evasion tests versus automatic fire is reduced by one stage (typically to Normal). This overrides the rules on page 43 of Singularity Core.
&#61558; Any subscriber can make an Evasion if caught in the Blast Radius of any attack with a Blast Radius. Each Hit achieved on this test reduces the damage of the Blast attack by one–after reducing Base damage by meters from target, but before applying Armor.The modifiers for attacking a target due to smoke/fog, bad lightning, darkness, or invisibility listed on page 43 of Singularity Core are waived as long as the target is marked (i.e. has been seen by any subscriber to the tactical network: marking a target is a non-action).
Last edited by Neurosis on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Smart Vision – How To Hack The Shit Out Of It

Let me give you a peek behind the curtain here, dear reader. I’m going to cyberwhisper a cybersecret in your cyberear. The reason TacNets exist is so they can get hacked.

Actually, the preceding page gives the lie to that, that was just the hacker in me talking. A properly working TacNet is an incredibly useful tool in almost any kind of op. Like most powerful weapons and tools, though, is a double edged sword.

Characters with the Computers skill and with a working UI (i.e. a commlink) can compromise TacNets in all kinds of interesting ways. Cyborgs with Wetware Hacking Implants (p. XX) are just that much better at it.

The general procedure for hacking a TacNet is always the same, no matter the “Exploit” being used (see table below). The hacking character rolls Computers. The member of the TacNet with the highest Cyber attribute is the Firewall. That’s right—not has the Firewall, not is in charge of the Firewall—motherfucking is the Firewall.

The hacker rolls their Computers vs. the Firewall’s Cyber. If the hacker achieves at least one Net Hit, the specific Exploit’s effects are resolved. One or all or some of the characters in the TacNet might be “targeted”, or the entire idea of a target might not be applicable. The actual number of Net Hits achieved may or may not matter.

Exploit ProgramProgram CostEffect on Targeted TacNet If Successful
Sorry Pal25,000 CreditsThe Hacker becomes fully invisible to all TacNet Subscribers except those using Vauggles instead of Artificial Eyes—the latter must remove their Vauggles and/or unsubscribe from the TacNet to see the Hacker.
Ghost Chatter40,000 CreditsThe Initiative Bonus that the TacNet provided its subscribers becomes an Initiative Penalty for all Subscribers of a number of dice equal to the Hacker’s Net Hits. The bonus to Perception Tests that the TacNet provided all its subscribers becomes a penalty to Perception Tests equal to the Hacker’s Net Hits.
Hope You Like Icons40,000 CreditsEach Net Hit that the hacker Achieves reduces the attack bonus (if any) provided by the TacNet by one to a maximum penalty of -4 (assuming there are enough Net Hits to reduce it below 0).
Danger Zone!10,000 CreditsThe TacNet displays literally everything as a “blast radius” or “kill zone”. The Tac Net no longer provides any benefits to its subscribers for avoiding autofire or Blast attacks.
Firebull!25,000 CreditsEveryone on the TacNet whose meat body is within a (Computers) meter radius determined by the hacker automatically loses their next Major Action, “dodging” an “explosion”. It is up to the GM’s discretion if this trick can work more than once per combat.
Digitial Illusions10,000 CreditsAfter the TacNet is compromised with the Illusions ‘sploit, everyone on the TacNet can be made to see or hear anything the Hacker wants them to see or hear. Programming these illusions in real time is at least a Full Turn action for the Hacker, but preprogrammed illusions are allowed (though of course they can’t be changed in real time). Anyone on the TacNet can attempt to “not buy” the illusions. This is a Minor Action and requires an Intelligence or Perception (subscriber’s choice) Test with a Threshold equal to the Hacker’s net hits.
Just One Of The Guys50,000 CreditsThe Hacker is now a member of the Tactical Network and receives all of its benefits. The Hacker can bring one ‘friend’ along for the ‘ride’ for each Net Hit beyond the first. These “ghost riders” do count not against the TacNet’s subscriber limits.
Power Word: Ban100,000 CreditsThe TacNet is shut down completely for at least 8 hours. This requires two Net Hits.
Hostile Takeover200,000 CreditsThe Hacker is now the Firewall (and the “owner”) of the TacNet and can do “whatever the fuck he wants” with it (GM’s discretion as to what’s possible). This requires four Net Hits.

Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

This is currently being playtested internally where possible. That said, I wouldn't mind some feedback. None of you get paid for giving me feedback (except the ones who do, who are the exception) but you generally enjoy ripping shit apart so if you see anything legitimately wrongbadwrong with these rules, please have at.

We're trying to have this ready for sale for the Christmas '16 season.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I'm sorta stuck on the whole thing where you seem to think setting neutral science fiction is a thing, like at all. I'm pretty sure we all decided that wasn't true by about 1992. When people say "Like GURPS?" they aren't saying they think you're making a point based game with a 3d6 RNG, they're saying it sounds like you're designing this game during the Reagan administration.

The physics of a setting are the setting. You can't have rules for hacking without having a setting. Just by writing rules about how hacking would work, you've created an implied setting that is really quite specific. It won't be the same as Star Trek or Star Wars or Ice Pirates or whatever else. It will be its own thing by definition.

So I really can't engage with your ideas here. The concept is a priori wrong. I have no idea whether these rules are good or bad because you're pretending to not have goals about what they are supposed to do.

-Username17
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

You might want to try reading a copy of the game before deciding that all of its design goals have a priori failed?

I can send you a complementary PDF copy of the game on DriveThru if you want, if there is a non-zero percent chance that reading through said "setting neutral science fiction" would change your mind about that being impossible.

I don't think it's a perfect game by any means. Ironically, I'm really excited to sell enough copies to justify a second edition, because there's a lot of stuff in it that I designed four years ago that I'm now literally embarrassed of. I just don't think its very design goals are a priori impossible and thus it is an automatic non-starter. Or I would not have written it and then printed 250 copies of it with my own money.

Also, a quick clarification: these tacnet rules are a very small part of the overall book of hacking rules we're selling, called Infowar. So the rules you're looking at here are themselves optional. The "context" I was thinking of here would be a setting not unlike Shadowrun or Ghost In The Shell.

Neither here nor there but just seems mentioning: I was six years old in 1992. So not everyone is necessarily working from the same frame of reference as you. For instance, I am more or less an expert on HERO System and do not know SHIT about GURPS, like not like the first fucking thing about.
Last edited by Neurosis on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

So... is it setting neutral in the same way that D&D is setting neutral?
Roog
Master

Post by Roog »

Neurosis wrote:"Like GURPs?" I often hear.

No, it's not like GURPS
Neurosis wrote:I [...] do not know SHIT about GURPS, like not like the first fucking thing about.
Why am I not surprised?
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Also, a quick clarification: these tacnet rules are a very small part of the overall book of hacking rules we're selling, called Infowar. So the rules you're looking at here are themselves optional. The "context" I was thinking of here would be a setting not unlike Shadowrun or Ghost In The Shell.
Yeah. That is pretty obvious.

But that is flatly not compatible with SW, ST or WH (or any setting you care to pull out of a hat). No one turns invisible (but only to a small group) by hacking some random dude that always has the best number (which is literally the opposite of smart hacking). They all just (through various setting specific shenanigans) turn fucking invisible.
And don't even get me started on the <technobabble> holo-interfaces designed for the tiny subsection of Luddites. That makes zero sense even in a setting that holowhatevers fit in (which is notably nothing named).

Also your terminology and acronyms are absolute shit. They either mean something completely different (Module, UI), or they're complete gibberish (Comms/Sensors, Wakkawakka or whatever)

On a note of criticism for the mechanics... that is an awful lot of bullshit to keep track of for one really specific subsystem. One that makes 4e D&D's pile of trivial nonsense bonuses look almost reasonable.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Neurosis wrote:You might want to try reading a copy of the game before deciding that all of its design goals have a priori failed?
Not really, no. If I was claiming posteriori knowledge that your game had failed to achieve the goals it had set for itself, then I would have to read it. But since instead I am claiming a priori knowledge that your goals cannot be met, I don't have to read it. I literally don't care what rules you've written, because you've pitched it with a contradiction in definitions.

Setting neutral science fiction action resolution systems do not and cannot exist, because the action resolution system dictates the acceptable inputs and outputs of actions and thereby constrains and defines a setting. It's as simple as that.

Maybe you have some sort of GURPS Infinite Worlds thing going on where you have a lot of different worlds or time junctures that have different technologies and plot hooks and whatever the fuck. But that's still not a setting neutral game. That's a game with a big setting that has a lot of stuff in it. It's not remotely the same thing.

-Username17
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

This line of logic sounds like it precludes any setting neutral action resolution system from existing at all, not just spesifically science fiction genre ones.

Which... is arguably true but I think you are then operating with an overly demanding and not entirely good-faith standard of "setting neutrality" - in the post-GURPS era the term is generally understood to mean "highly versatile", not literally completely universal. Like, HERO is a setting neutral superhero game system, but it still limits the kinds of settings it can create, just far less so than something like Godlike.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

My understanding is that GURPs works by having lots of skills, and new skills get created as necessary. If someone adds starships, they also add 'pilot: starship' and probably 'navigate: starship' and the rules for skills interact with the newly added content using the universal resolution system (and I've only played it a couple of times more than a decade ago so I apologize if I'm mistaken).

While it is possible to have a system neutral resolution system (though I'm not sold on that being a good thing), I don't think this qualifies. Tac-Net is a setting element. Whatever you think you're starting with, adding it will change the setting.

My impression is that this is a Shadowrun-esque setting with baked in ideas about technology level, but doesn't care about whether elves or trolls exist. Effectively 'universal' in the natrowly defined 'thirty years from today with technolgical expansion at an exponentially increasing rate'
-This space intentionally left blank
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

What do Mission Vao, Lt. Data, and Cortana get out of Infowar?