Egyptian Beast Races

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Egyptian Beast Races

Post by AndreiChekov »

One time when I was drinking I hashed out a bunch of stupidly over/underpowered beast races based on egyptian mythology. I don't think I posted it here ever.

I am planning to do a write up of a not stupid version, and I'm thinking of limiting the actual number of different animals to 5 or 6.

I was thinking something like
Jackal
Crocodile
Cat
Some bird thing involving ibis, eagles and/or vultures
Snake
and maybe cat/lion

What would you expect in a collection of beast forms from Egyptian mythology?
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sphinx, Set animal, and Ammit, mostly.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Did they not also have the wise monkey?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Every creature that lives along the Nile is an Egyptian god; b/c all of their gods were anthropomorphized after the cities with the human gods began to exert influence over their neighbours.

You're better off doing something more specific; the deserts on the East of the Nile; the deserts on the West; the delta; the lower nile; the upper nile; migrant species. Then placing 5-10 species of a certain type.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Every creature that lives along the Nile is an Egyptian god; b/c all of their gods were anthropomorphized after the cities with the human gods began to exert influence over their neighbours.

You're better off doing something more specific; the deserts on the East of the Nile; the deserts on the West; the delta; the lower nile; the upper nile; migrant species. Then placing 5-10 species of a certain type.
Thats what I did the first time, and it was a giant mess of shit with little inspiration and distinction beteen the different beasts. I want to just whittle it down to a few that people would expect in an Egyptian myth game, not cover every base.

@Prak thanks. Jackal covers anubis, and crocodile basically covers ammit. Hadn't thought of the sphinx.

@stahlseele I've never heard of a "wise monkey" in Egyptian stuff, and I've recently read everything the first 4 or so pages of google has on it. (Does that make me an expert?)
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Thoth has a Baboon or Ibis head and is god of smart stuff
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Set != Anubis
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Prak wrote:Set != Anubis
I missed a line in what I was saying, or I was drunk or something. Set was often portrayed with a jackal head. Like all of the Egyptian gods, he has a bajillion forms, but I'm just sticking with the main ones. So, the anubis and set animal would end up the same.

@Ogrebattle Again, I intend to use the most common form of each god, or in some cases most well known, so Ibis head for thoth.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Prak wrote:Set != Anubis
This. I know my Egyptian lore too, and the "Set beast" is an unknown animal, possibly extinct but probably fictional.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, not exactly, no.

Set had the head of what appears to be some mythical chimeric creature. There was some gross similarity to a jackal, so white archaeologists in the bad old days of Pharaoh Duraflame called it a jackal, but there's a reason that the term "set animal" exists.

Edit: ninja'd
Last edited by Prak on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Scarab?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Hippopotamus, falcon, scorpion, snake, cow, goose, donkey, bull.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

So, It looks like my animal list should be something like

Jackal, Scarab, Ibis, Falcon/Hawk, Crocodile, Hippo, Cat/lion, a set animal thing, snake, and scorpion

I do like how hathor is a goddess of fertility and war, so cows could be in there with spell-like vigour, and rage

I can't see anyone wanting to play a goose thing.

I'm thinking to have them all one race, but share pretty much nothing except interbreeding, where whatever animal your mother has is what you are. I don't have to right much about culture or whatever, I can just steal things from egypt. Maybe add things to everyday life that are just stereotypes from myths.

Each of these "races" will be able to transform into their animal, and I'm thinking of giving them feats to take to improve them, say, if you are a beastman of baast, you start off being able to turn into a cat, and can take a feat to make that a lion and at later levels a dire lion

Jackals aren't statted up in the MM, so I'll just use dog stats for those. Maybe wolf, not sure yet.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, sort of hengeyokai with less clothes?

Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

It's likely worth it to shoot for nine forms total just to snag an Ennead reference. I could see one including a nod to the Ogdoad with a sexually dimorphic frog/snake race. A small-sized scarab-person with a swarmform feat would also be fun.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

So, between working, I've done some things

Transformation works like wildshape except for duration, and is at-will. Since I can't be bothered to actually read wild shape right now, I'll just mention these thigns. You can't cast spells, unless you take that one feat. You also can't use class abilities. You do get to keep your feats.
Everyone has scent, is medium monstrous humanoid, and move speed of 30 feet.

Baast
Everything from your typical cat girls to nyanta from log horizon. Except Egyptian.

+2 dex or wis

Whenever you deal fire damage, you deal 1 extra damage per die of damage rolled.

Once per day you can cast Alarm as a spell like ability. This functions the same way as the spell, your caster level is equal to hit die. You don't need any ability score to cast this. Regular rats cannot pass through the border of this spell.

Transform into a house cat

lowlight vision

+2 listen and spot

Feat thingy Prereq: Baast and level 3. You can turn into a lion with your transformation.

Hathor
Same above but like a cow. (Or bull.) You can do the full minotaur thing, or just have horns and a tail. Nobody cares.

+2 con or cha

Transform into a "Cow/Bull" at will. Use heavy horse stats, but you get +2 str and -2 dex.

Rage(sp): A number of times per day, equal to your level + your highest metal stat, you can cast rage as a spell like ability with a caster level equal to your level

Vigour (Sp): A number of times per day, equal to your level + your highest metal stat, you can cast vigour as a spell like ability with a caster level equal to your level.

You count as if you have a STR score 4 higher for everything that isn't combat.

+2 perform and diplomacy checks
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x