Dominions 4 Teasers

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Didn't even bother to consider ulterior motives, sorry 'bout that folks. I don't like the mod, and not just because it's creator is a fragile jerk.

Anyway, does anyone else pick a few nations from each age and create gods to help flesh out and refine different strategies for the preferred nations? I decided to go for seven per age, but ended up doing an eighth in middle recently; Shinuyama is a bad habit I just can't break, apparently, no matter how much it hurts me.

Mostly the supplements are pretty cookie cutter, bless, imprisoned scales, awake expander, awake expander w/bless, awake researcher w/magic diversity/path depth, dormant magic diversity, but occasionally I'll make something goofy and specific; for instance, I made a dormant forge lord with one point in water for LA Agartha, so I could send out 6/7 total gem Iron Ancestor thugs to raid singly or in small groups, or to stiffen armies against opponents without good undead counters. Not just that though, since even with the pretty great scales that still afforded me it'd be kind of dumb to spend 3 pretender turns per thug without other options, also capable of using just 2 gems to equip my W2 alchemists with Water Bracelets and Water Lenses so they can churn out a Water Elemental or a cast of Wave Warriors once per battle forever. That, and, if I can get the Hammer of the Forge Lord, he could eventually churn out 10 gem items for 2 gems.
Last edited by Calibron on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Calibron wrote:That, and, if I can get the Hammer of the Forge Lord, he could eventually churn out 10 gem items for 2 gems.
How do you do that? 10 gem item - Forge Lord (forge discount of 2) - Hammer of Forge Lord (forge discount of 4) = 4 gems.

The Hammer of the Forge Lord requires two hands, so you can't hold that and a dwarven hammer at the same time. Unless... are you using a Copper Arm to let him hold a Dwarven Hammer too?
Last edited by Shatner on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Yep, copper arm. Cheap forging is his whole purpose after all. Not going to be doing anything too special in combat with F1W1E3 that I can't manage with the nation already.
Last edited by Calibron on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Okay, cool. I've never gone that far, but I have had two separate MP games where I stumbled across The Steel Ovens while playing as MA Ulm. That get's pretty stupid pretty quick.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Pff-ff-ff-ff, jesus. I once found Mt. Chaining(30% Blood Magic Bonus) as LA Ulm in mp. Unfortunately it was a Disciple game and one team actually had a beginning to end plan while one team went all in with a double bless, got dogpiled and eliminated first, one team was actually fighting amongst themselves, and the team I was on with Maerland and Stuttrboy had a general strategy and some discussed tactics, but no unifying plan and a weak expansion on my and Sb's part. So, unfortunately, the game ended pretty early and I didn't get to play with it as much as I would have liked to.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Thanks Avor, glad you like the mod. There is a lot of content as I've been working on it for most of the last year in various iterations. I've tried to stay as close as possible to the feel of the original game, using mythological sources for creatures and spells where possible and such.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I was talking to Akula about the differences between this version and the last couple, and I'm really impressed with how much you've been able to enhance rituals with event scripting. The migration events before meteors blow up forts, the acidic oceans gradually getting nasty enough to actually hurt units, and the contingent Miko promotions all make this update really interesting from both a design and player perspective.

I know a guy who absolutely loves aboleths, and he is super-excited about the new gear in EA R-lyeh. You've inspired a lot of people to pick up Dominions again!
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I've been checking it out today and I'm really impressed. The biggest balance change I see at a glance is being able to reinvigorate all the slaves in an Arco, EA Ermor, MA Marignon, or MA Pythium communion pretty cheaply and easily, which I think is high praise in the face of the scope of your mod.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:I was talking to Akula about the differences between this version and the last couple, and I'm really impressed with how much you've been able to enhance rituals with event scripting.
Yeah, the introduction of event modding and the ability to create new globals was the original impetus for adding a spells mod. It was testing out what you could do with the new commands that gave me the idea for a bunch of the spells and things grew from there. Having amuys contribute a bunch of sprites was super helpful too as I have no hope of creating sprites from scratch.
I know a guy who absolutely loves aboleths, and he is super-excited about the new gear in EA R-lyeh. You've inspired a lot of people to pick up Dominions again!
That's great, part of the idea of the mod was to give a new spin to nations people might have already played to death. Hope he enjoys the new toys!
Calibron wrote:]I've been checking it out today and I'm really impressed. The biggest balance change I see at a glance is being able to reinvigorate all the slaves in an Arco, EA Ermor, MA Marignon, or MA Pythium communion pretty cheaply and easily, which I think is high praise in the face of the scope of your mod.
Thanks! I've tried to avoid anything too out of line with the base game, although with Seraphs and Grigori in vanilla the bar is set pretty high. I've tried to generally buff weaker nations and paths by filling in some of the gaping holes (no sacred summons for Ur with their recruitable H3's?). Although I'm pretty sure there will be some things that still need tweaking balance-wise for the next update.
Last edited by Red_Rob on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplified Tome Armor.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Red_Rob wrote: Thanks! I've tried to avoid anything too out of line with the base game, although with Seraphs and Grigori in vanilla the bar is set pretty high.
Eeerrr, seraphs and Grigoris are on mid-low tier nations in Dom4. In particular because those super summons demand high research and Marignon/Hinnom aren't exactly known for their turbo research. I've never actually seen seraphs or Grigoris in my MP game, with the nations that could summon either being taken out before or the game just ending.

I guess my point is that Hinnom "We pay 125 gold for 9 non-sacred research and we're the most inneficient blood-hunters in the game" gets to go cry in the corner as Arco "We've got some of the best research in the game" suddenly has an army of titans to complement their now self-reinvigorating communions.

And again, Hinnom has one of the worst win rates in Dom4, while Arco already was pretty solid.

Wait, Arco also gets to become a mecha nation as they deploy hordes of robots? I must've missed the Oyssey's part where Acquiles stays at home and just sends a not-zaku detachment to siege Troy. And since they can fly the whole thing was over in 10 minutes instead of ten years.

EDIT: Still I congratulate you on the hard work you clearly put on this and there's plenty of cool stuff for who wants as many options as possible, yet giving much easier access to monsters and titans and assorted super troops to supposed humie nations ends up making the actual monster/special troops nations feel small on their pants.
Last edited by maglag on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

maglag wrote:I guess my point is that Hinnom "We pay 125 gold for 9 non-sacred research and we're the most inneficient blood-hunters in the game" gets to go cry in the corner as Arco "We've got some of the best research in the game" suddenly has an army of titans to complement their now self-reinvigorating communions.
So your assessment is that these additions make Arco a top-tier nation? Interesting, quite a boost given they are currently in the bottom half of nations by win percentage. Although, I'd hardly call three national Uniques (that can be poached by Ermor, Pythium or Sceleria) an army. And Hinnom didn't exactly get nothing, spells granting Mistform or heat auras to their heavily armed giants and a battlefield wide reinvig seem pretty handy.
Wait, Arco also gets to become a mecha nation as they deploy hordes of robots? I must've missed the Oyssey's part where Acquiles stays at home and just sends a not-zaku detachment to siege Troy. And since they can fly the whole thing was over in 10 minutes instead of ten years.
They have recruitable mage-engineers trained at the Lykeion, which is headed by Daidalos 'a genius who crafts automatons and strange devices' therefore it seemed fitting that they get some national versions. The Talos I had to include because obviously, whilst Mechanical Icarids is like the first thing you think of when you hear 'Daidalos' and 'Automatons' in the same sentence.

To be honest, a nation of greek mage-engineers not getting clockwork bronze warriors and sun-powered lasers seems kind of remiss to me. I always got the feeling Arco got a raw deal by being an early nation introduced before national spells were a thing.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Adding some flying troops to a nation with between cap-limited and no flying commanders isn't a huge deal, tho :? And fifty gems for a unique giant 7 path mage that really can't even SC, with little to no path diversification, at the end of the research tree is even less of a deal, yeh?

Getting slightly worse versions of generic summons that no one uses earlier and a little cheaper probably has very little impact outside of a desperate situation. Arco doesn't lose its weaknesses in this mod, except they gain the ability to deal with Golems using their astral mages, thanks to Dissolve into Atoms.

The biggest boost they get, I think, is the Contact Eleionomae spell, which gives them access to the non-homesick W3D3 Kokythiads, which, at 40 W gems a pop, and boasting human level hp, shouldn't really win them the game very often. Contacting upkeep free Oreiads without their randoms for a relatively reasonable price is a nice little addition as well, but again, not game winning by any stretch, even if you managed to get an early Mother Oak.
Rejakor
Master

Post by Rejakor »

maglag wrote: Eeerrr, seraphs and Grigoris are on mid-low tier nations in Dom4. In particular because those super summons demand high research and Marignon/Hinnom aren't exactly known for their turbo research. I've never actually seen seraphs or Grigoris in my MP game, with the nations that could summon either being taken out before or the game just ending.

I guess my point is that Hinnom "We pay 125 gold for 9 non-sacred research and we're the most inneficient blood-hunters in the game" gets to go cry in the corner as Arco "We've got some of the best research in the game" suddenly has an army of titans to complement their now self-reinvigorating communions.
Wait, are you arguing that grigori and seraph access actually makes a nation better in MP? Holy shit. By the time they come out they don't matter. They might have mattered in CBM but they usually didn't. Tartarians cost 10 gems. Harbingers matter, for the flying thuggable A access. Seraphs and grigori do not.
And again, Hinnom has one of the worst win rates in Dom4, while Arco already was pretty solid.
Wow you genuinely think absurdly high cost high path requirement things that already exist in Better, Cheaper, Undead form actually change the MP game. Have I played you? Do you only play on tgdmb?
Arco has always had robots. Mage-Engineers, flying magical mecha wings, the ancient greeks' liking for/weird obsession with pseudo-astronomical metal machinery.

Also the Arco robots aren't better than > spam mystics, use cardaces as blockers, golems basic arco strategy. They might be interesting, but again, you're confusing 'interesting' for 'powerful', or perhaps looking at their effect on SP.
EDIT: Still I congratulate you on the hard work you clearly put on this and there's plenty of cool stuff for who wants as many options as possible, yet giving much easier access to monsters and titans and assorted super troops to supposed humie nations ends up making the actual monster/special troops nations feel small on their pants.
Your assumption that 'humie' nations don't already have summonable monster-type troops is kinda wrong, also that large + hp = better (it isn't, attacks/square bodies/square is a massive part of strength as a unit), etc. I really feel like if you're actually going to talk about mechanical balance of units you should also post your MP experience.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I have not played any MP Dom4, but in Dom3 games with enough players and provinces could very easily grind on long enough for late game summons to be relevant, and all-in-all I'd certainly rather have a seraph than a tartarian (though I'd also rather have a dozen tartarians than a single seraph, which is usually how it plays out when you factor in costs). But still, Seraph access was not a moot thing. Getting your SC factory online is really no different than dropping one of the game-changing globals - it's just a way of translating a research and resource advantage into a lategame finisher that everyone has to scramble to counter.

Now, my anecdotal understanding of Dom4 is that high-end magic is way fucking harder to get to and that supercombatants are a lot less impressive than they used to be, which suggests that the game is more likely to end because someone successfully spammed cheap thugs early than because someone successfully spammed expensive SC's late. So I certainly understand skepticism that seraphs are a meaningful addition to a nation which already lags in research, because the game is genuinely less likely to reach that stage AND because nations with poor research are by definition less likely to have a research advantage in the lategame that they need to leverage into a finishing blow.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

In my MP games SCs of different kinds have been viable end-game strategies and I've been both in the receiving and giving end. They don't win the game by themselves, but they'll add that extra punch to regular armies to break stalemates.

Plus in disciples games SCs are a lot more effective strategy as you can have the pretender nation provide a strong bless and crafts gear while the disciples bring awake monsters that suddenly have regen besides potential SC recruits/summons. I (and several other players) had our asses kicked by a Mictlan-Ashdod-Agartha team where by year 1 we were being pushed back by regenerating earth snakes, by year 2 we were facing regenerating geared giants with boots of flying and by year 3 there were flying marble oracles raiding all over the place as the enemy closed in.

But yeah, it's pretty obvious that adding a bunch of new spells will favour more the nations that can actually research said spells. Vanilla Arco has great research but not anything special to do with it. However with the magic mod when they can turn their superior research into teleporting titans and fearless untirable unpoisanable lines of mechas (in contrast to puny hoplites that can turn tail and flee if not falling unconscious or choking on foul vapors and the like). While Hinnom still struggles with crappy research that restricts them from using the cool new toys.

Rejakor: The one who was claiming that grigoris mattered was red rob himself when he said they created a "high ceiling" to justify giving Arco titans at the same research levels. I even pointed out how Hinnom has both crap research and blood hunting meaning it would take a miracle for them to ever get a single grigori out in MP. Arco however has realistic hopes of researching school level 8 and I've seen it happen in MP.

And no, I don't consider crappy recent movies as classic mythology.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Rejakor
Master

Post by Rejakor »

Matticus - Basically, thugs and SCs both got nerfed, hard. You can't damage-proof stuff anymore, both on the low or the high end. Thugs are mostly useful if they're cheap and stealthy and can kill low PD, or your national commanders require very little to get off the ground into being a thug. Only a handful of nations can thug, and SCing is a niche tactic at best that often only gets used for coolness value. It can only defeat a foe in an odd situation where your national/gear resistances/defenses manage to match up to their research for a period long enough to defeat their major armies. It's extremely rare for that to happen in a situation where you aren't massively outgunning your foe anyway in RP/gems etc and could probably have killed them more easily just with mages.

That said, the most common answer to thugs is spells, so you'll still see thugs (early thugs) winning low-skill games because someone went buck wild with vanjarls and people didn't get mages out of labs to stop it, which led to a snowball, but really 3-4 properly blessed vans or vanhere will do exactly the same thing so it's less' thugs' winning the game and more 'stealth + killing PD and unled spearmen' winning the game.

Maglag: You don't consider the legend of Icarus and Daedalus to be mythology, or the widespread belief that the greek philosophers and their principles of engineering and motion were ahead of their time/powerful, or the existence of the antikythera mechanism as well as various other greek mechanical follies? Nice.

'In my MP games' isn't your MP experience. I've played on /domg/, dom3mods, steam/desura, in dom4. A few dozen SA games at the start of dom4 as well, although I have no doubt their meta is different by now. I've noticed that while SCs and thugs can work against some players, deploying mages with spells like earth grip and False Fetters will do the trick, much less aim + lightning, single mages, killing thug chassis that cost piles of gold and 20+ gems of gear. SCs tend to die to anything that hits hard enough (LIIIIMBBBB HITTTTSSS) but also to mages using tie-downs or anything single-target hitting a resistance of theirs that isn't high enough.

Earth Snakes have a bite attack and fear. They can be tarpitted extremely easily (even by ench-1 Animate Skeleton, insects, or lesser elementals) and die to a lot of early magic, from tie-downs to (my favourite) numbness. Outside dominion they have low enough hp the regeneration and prot aren't as much of a deal due to no 40+ hp/turn. Similarly, 'ability to craft gear' is not the limiter on SCs. It's that no gearset makes you immune to many spell-based options, or high-damage attacks. There are reasons to take awake pretenders or a bless in disciples, but they don't make SCs better, and they don't 'justify' the use of SC tactics either.

Red_Rob was referring to not making creatures stronger than creatures currently in the game, when referring to Seraphs and Grigori. He wasn't talking about your entirely imaginary 'monster nations are balanced by having monsters and SCs still rule the waves' meta that doesn't actually exist in dom4 at all when he said that.

EDIT: 'Extra punch to break stalemates' - I suggest learning to Rain of Stones-proof your armies if you are having 'stalemates' that SCs can 'break'.
Last edited by Rejakor on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I started a new no diplo, magic enhanced game. If you want in here's the sign up thread with all the particulars.
Rejakor
Master

Post by Rejakor »

Looks like they're dropping Summod from the Community Clash game. Did anyone actually want to do that? It's going to have like 11 teams with a custom single-age mod and map, looks interesting. Probably still a window to get a tgd team in if people wanted.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Anyone planning to start up a new game? I'd sub in for Vanheim in Calibron's game, but no trade no diplo is high order bullshit.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Actually in Calibrons game Vanheim came back after a few days. Regarding no-trade no-diplo, I've played in games with these rules before and they are quite enjoyable. Removing any kind of diplomacy makes the game much less time consuming as you don't need to spend time schmoozing with nearby players to avoid getting ganged. Just spend the 10 minutes per day doing your turn and you are set. It almost plays like a single player game but with AI that makes smart decisions.

I'd enjoy another Gaming Den Dominions game, but at the moment I'm in too many as it is. One of my games hit turn 93 and a war just broke out, so that is taking up some time.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

I've found the newest, dumbest, cheapest tactic:

Play an awake Hooded Spirit with A2W2E9D9N2, Dominion 10, all scales set to -3. Spend 7 turns researching Alteration, then have the Spirit forge itself some Black Plate. Script it to cast Mistform and attack rear. It can move 10 provinces a turn and kill most independents, even throne guardians. Unless you get unlucky or the other players catch on, you win in 7+2n turns, where n is the number of thrones in play.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Calibron wrote: Anyway, does anyone else pick a few nations from each age and create gods to help flesh out and refine different strategies for the preferred nations? I decided to go for seven per age, but ended up doing an eighth in middle recently; Shinuyama is a bad habit I just can't break, apparently, no matter how much it hurts me.
Actually; I spent a fair amount of time in Dom3 playing "test" Pretenders in order to determine for myself what could be effective Pretender picks for that nation.

The additional testing that I would also tend towards doing is trying to find the cheapest starting army strategies for each nation in an Age.

Of course; I've had to do this at least 2-3 times per Age in order to be able to correct previous mistakes I made; or in order to deviate from whatever the internet guides for various nations state.

For the most part though; I've found that (for most nations) Maxed Disorder and Maxed Luck tend to reach an overall better fiscal infrastructure than pure Order/Productivity (due to bonus gems); and the Luck helps with the all importance of Gems; and protection from opposing Dominions high luck. In the later game if/when Blood becomes a choice/option; being able to Crossbreed efficiently doesn't hurt.

Also that the overall strategy in armies tends to be pretty similar when it's just Tiny Men. Use: Arrow-catchers on Forward Right Flank; Actual assault units slightly back on Left Flank; the maximum amount of archers you can field; and just enough line-holders to keep archers from being overwhelmed. Interestingly enough; "Attack Archers" seems to be my go-to command for Arrow-catchers; Assault units; and my Archers themselves. I find that once the Archers are wiped; the enemy is more likely to Rout; also the amount of damage directed at my army lowers when there is no drizzle of arrows. Having my fastest Assualt units in and among the back of the enemies deployment while his Routed troops flee also helps eliminate stragglers.

The real hilarity begins when I make a mistake that makes me modify how I set up any army; or I've gotten to the point there I start throwing my armies against each other and see about modifying deployment strategy based on enemy nation. Not just figuroing out how to wipe out 100 indy troops (I play on maxed settings mostly).
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Playing LA Utgard;

Seithkona; 85gp, recruit anywhere; S1, D1, N1.

Norna; 210gp, Cap only; S2, D2, N1, 100% pick of S/D/N/B, 10% pick of S/D/N/B . Likely produces S3, D3, and N2.

Jotun Skratti; 255gp, recruit anywhere, STR; W2, B2, +100% pick of W/B/N/D. Easy access to W3, B3

So I've got easy access to S3, D3, W3, B3, N2.

No access to Fire, Earth, Air.

Option 1; Imprisoned E9/N9/Dom7 Great Mother with -2 scales.
Summon Jotun Wolves + Gloso

Scales: Order 3, Sloth 3 (the sacred Garmharmdig are only 9 resources), Cold 3, Growth 1, Misfortune1?

Option 2; Imprisoned E4/N4/Dom8 great mother with +8 scales;
Order 3, Production 3 (Jotun Hirdman are 41 resources), Cold 3, Growth 2, Misfortune1, Magic 3...actually have points leftover to boost E or N to 5.

Option 3; Imprisoned A4/E4/N4 Dom7 Keeper of the Bridge with Order 3, Production 3 (Jotun Hirdman are 41 resources), Cold 3, Growth 2, Misfortune1, Magic 3 --- would provide me with Earth and Air magic, leaving me only without access to fire.

Thoughts? Anyone played them?
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Grek wrote:I've found the newest, dumbest, cheapest tactic:

Play an awake Hooded Spirit with A2W2E9D9N2, Dominion 10, all scales set to -3. Spend 7 turns researching Alteration, then have the Spirit forge itself some Black Plate. Script it to cast Mistform and attack rear. It can move 10 provinces a turn and kill most independents, even throne guardians. Unless you get unlucky or the other players catch on, you win in 7+2n turns, where n is the number of thrones in play.
Also, that seems super stopable; if it's say, 10 thrones to win in a medium to large game. By Turn 20ish I'm imagning most thrones taken; by Turn 23 or 24, lots of thrones with forts; and people seeing the dude climb to 6-7 thrones start taking back the ones he can't hold/reinforce.