[3.X/PF] Good non den homebrew

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

[3.X/PF] Good non den homebrew

Post by radthemad4 »

Just sorta curious about any cool stuff you guys have found/used from outside the den. Classes, prcs, races, acfs, feats, monsters, anything really.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Doesn't exist. If it did then it would've been reposted or linked and thus previous found via the den.

Half serious.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Two Notable things by the same Author I can think of were on Alignment and Redoing the Deities pantheon respectively:

Lolth et-al: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... -Lady-Luck

Alignment: http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=265338
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Yeah, I read that deity series. Good stuff. Giantitp forum culture still makes me break out in hives, though.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Schleiermacher wrote:Yeah, I read that deity series. Good stuff. Giantitp forum culture still makes me break out in hives, though.
That too, but even specifically their homebrew culture is so shitty.

They hold four main tenets:

1) Must be overly wordy. Must have long elaborate totally useless shitty writing prose for no purpose. To prove how serious you are.
2) Must have overly fiddly mechanics. When building a character, you should have to make at least two decisions per level up, and all of those decisions should interact and depend on each other. When playing the game, you should have 5 different resources management systems per character to track, and mutliple choices per round. When designing a class, it should be capable of doing every possible "role" in the party.
3) All classes should be balanced at braindead Core Bard level. So that they aren't filthy OP classes.
4) All monsters should be balanced at like Fucking Planatar level. Just shit all over that CR system.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

Homebrew is generally designed according to whatever mind-caulk balanced version of 3.X/PF a person thinks they are playing. Which means that irrespective of the general quality of the homebrew production, it is only useable for you if it matches the needs of your specific game. This is true of official material to a degree as well but at least there tends to be a degree of internal consistency to that stuff.

Homebrew that is produced in a vacuum is likely to be of limited use as a result. Homebrew for specific settings tends to fair better assuming you're playing within that setting, but is more vulnerable to rampaging fan-boy-ism (and I'll say that as someone who's written copious quantities of rampaging-ly fanboy-ish Planescape homebrew).
OgreBattle
King

Re: [3.X/PF] Good non den homebrew

Post by OgreBattle »

radthemad4 wrote:Just sorta curious about any cool stuff you guys have found/used from outside the den. Classes, prcs, races, acfs, feats, monsters, anything really.
I like Trailblazer's take on iterative attack penalties.

BAB 6+ gives you the option of -2/-2
BAB 11+ gives you the option of 0/-2
BAB 16+ gives you the option of 0/0

There's various "eliminate feat tax by..." and "consolidated skill lists" floating around largely similar to the stuff posted on here.

Something I'm looking for in homebrew 3.PF fixing is an alternative to monsters getting an attack per limb/toothy maw they have and getting bonus attacks more like PC's. In turn multi-weapon fighting would need to be reworked to something other than "here is an extra d20 to roll".
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I've gotten some good use out of the armiger from the Iron Heroes Hack, presuming you accept the use of the Iron Heroes system.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

virgil wrote:I've gotten some good use out of the armiger from the Iron Heroes Hack, presuming you accept the use of the Iron Heroes system.
This is Hong Ooi's stuff. I'm having flashbacks of USENET days.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
I come here because I like you guys, since we've fallen off on homebrew.

Also there's a Pathfinder Beguiler somewhere that's alright.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask_De_H wrote:
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
I come here because I made a habit of coming here whenever I was bored at work, and I'm bored at work a lot :)

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

@erik/Koumei: Hmm... you may be right based on the shortage of references here. Either that or they're really well hidden.

@Aryxbez: Thanks, those are great. I'm probably going to run a Greyhawk game sometime in the near future and those writeups are going to come in handy.

@Kaelik: Holy shit yes, most giantitp classes I've seen are so bogged down with crap I haven't even read them long enough to know if I want to use them.

@Mechalich: Well, basically I'm looking for say, classes or PRCs that'd fit in well with say a group of moderately optimized, wizards/druids/clerics/beguilers/tome monks/non fighter tome classes, and feats that would be comparable to other available options (both standard feats and scaling feats as I'm using both, sometimes in the same game).

Ideally stuff with low fiddliness. Though, even not amazingly powerful or situationally useful homebrew could come in handy as long as it's not a pain to run for as I'm probably going to GM something soon. Also, monsters and stuff could be neat.

@OgreBatte: Have you tried out that BAB hack in a D&D game? Curious about how it went.

@virgil: Haven't actually read Iron Heroes yet. How easy is it to slap onto a Tome game?

@Mask_De_H: Link? I remember finding one once, but it not knowing its entire spell list was kind of a dealbreaker as that's one of my favorite aspects of Beguilerish classes.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Mask_De_H wrote:
Similar, I actually do like the Denners here, it's a fun place to read things, and I feel smarter when I come back & start reading about a given topic. Plus, I also feel it sets a good standard for how OSR or Reviews for RPG's should go, more or less.

Even if other places were slamming good Homebrew, they'd need a place like the Den for system analysis, how it can be improved, it's flaws, and of course there's still quality RPG reviews!

radthemad4 You're Welcome, but make sure to thank the Author in question, either on the respective site, or even perhaps try Caedrus here.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

I like Kaelik.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hiram McDaniels wrote:
I like Kaelik.
Something is wrong with you.

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Oh yeah, here's the PF Beguiler.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Kaelik wrote:
Hiram McDaniels wrote:
I like Kaelik.
I'm not sure I'd say I like you, Kaelik, but I've benefitted from your input on stuff more than once, and at the least, you are entertaining sometimes.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

Kaelik wrote:
Hiram McDaniels wrote:
I like Kaelik.
Priapism.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I haven't tried out the -2/-2 attack system in a game but I have experienced the failure of -5/-10 whiffing.
We don't come here because we like each other.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

virgil wrote:I've gotten some good use out of the armiger from the Iron Heroes Hack, presuming you accept the use of the Iron Heroes system.
I read too fast and thought this said "Iron Herpes".
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Kaelik wrote:
Hiram McDaniels wrote:I like Kaelik.
It could just be your avatar. Those drills make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Mask_De_H wrote:Oh yeah, here's the PF Beguiler.
Explicitly can't get new spells with feats? :confused:

Well, whatever, I like the 'some prepared spells' thing and may stick that onto regular beguilers (using their advanced learning list) and there are a few other neat things in there worth scavenging. Thanks.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

radthemad4 wrote:
Mask_De_H wrote:Oh yeah, here's the PF Beguiler.
Explicitly can't get new spells with feats? :confused:

Well, whatever, I like the 'some prepared spells' thing and may stick that onto regular beguilers (using their advanced learning list) and there are a few other neat things in there worth scavenging. Thanks.
It is important to punish the evil bad minmaxers who wanted to occasionally cast Moonlight when facing undead, because that's broken!

They should just use their 46 Dominated allies to kill the undead like true roleplayers who play balanced classes they way they are supposed to be played!

Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Hiram McDaniels wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
Hiram McDaniels wrote:
I like Kaelik.
Priapism.
Kaelik's Online mannerism do fill me with the notion he has a Raging Boner at all times that he doesn't know what to do with, so he posts here to take it out on all of us for being its alleged cause. So yeah, I think Kaelik is cool, I enjoy seeing him argue with stupid people, but I think his posting style could be less coming off as a guy who's constantly angry, and nearly any slight sparks his annoyance. Otherwise I can usually understand his points, but sometimes the unneeded aggression serves little purpose.