[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

No.
Sadly not.
The hacker had complained about security issues to Interpol himself and only did this after they ignored him.
And he actually went to the press and told them exactly what and how he did it as well . .
And lookie there, all of a sudden, the security problem that allowed this was fixed instantly!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Brexit has killed 12 people in Indonesia.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... t-junction
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

So anyway Australian election... still not entirely settled. The party for pure evil and idiocy the LNP is still likely to win, and has a small chance of scraping in a bare majority in it's own right by ONE seat, So some of them are out trumpetting a total and complete mandate delivering "Victory Machine" victory. But even if they do, barely, win a bare majority, they need the independents support to be "stable" (about the ONE thing they promised to deliver other than big corporate tax cuts).

This means they are negotiating with the right wing independents. To give you a guideline on how that will turn out, the most prominent most right wing most pro-LNP one STILL has, as one of his key demands, government assistance in ERADICATING THE AUSTRALIAN LUNG FISH FROM THE FACE OF THE PLANET FOR NO GOOD REASON. (He doesn't call it that, but that's the inevitable result of his favorite demand).

Of course the government promised "no deals with minor or independent parties" which means it will be "understandings" instead, except the Lung Fish Crusader actually wants a flat out deal... so good luck with that.

Also the LNP... are not good at minority government, they can't even successfully negotiate with themselves. The internal right wing nutter hard liners are trying to PREVENT their own party from negotiating with the independents in advance, because they fear that Turnbull will use say, Nick "the total fucking asshole" Xenophon as an excuse to enact very slightly left of nazi policy as part of a deal understanding convenient but politically necessary coincidence.

And of course Malcolm Turnbull winning but only barely is a Malcolm Turnbull that looks awfully doomed I mean you can pretty much SEE the multiple stab wounds in his back already...
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
erik
King

Post by erik »

Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Looking at the scatter of bullet-holes on that truck, I think the gendarmes (who I presume to be the ones with the guns) need more training. I hope they didn't hit anyone other than the driver. Of course, I may just be expecting better accuracy than is reasonable from people trained to shoot.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OK so, appearantly, somebody had enough of Erdogan . .
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... n-ankara1/
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Apparently there's a coup going on in Turkey and if I'm hearing things correctly our people are in favor of it but aren't making any big moves just yet.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

yeah, i just heard of it as well . . see link above.
war is coming ever closer to europe it seems.
add to that the movement of several 1000 man strong regiments into the baltic states and the eu and nato working closer together in terms of military stuff in future, it seems like europe might be getting decidedly unpleasant soonish . .
also:
https://twitter.com/MikaelSkillt/status ... wsrc%5Etfw

i might be a horrible person, but i can't help but be amused by the military staging a coup and taking over hastags . .

But if that is actually the truth, a military coup might actually be a good thing in the long run, if they are more moderate than erdogan . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Erdogan was pretty clearly bombing anti-war demonstrations and blaming the actions on ISIS and Kurds in order to whip up fear and anger so that he could suppress freedoms of the anti-war demonstrators. He was a really bad person and very bad leader. I'm not sorry to see him go.

Military coups are generally scary and a lot of bad things can happen. But I'm not sad about this one.

-Username17
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Coup in Turkey seems to be losing moment right now. Or is it just information war?
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

according to the live ticker on the telegraph, it seems the coup failed . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

That's what the government is saying, but the Guardian reports that fighting is still ongoing in Ankara.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say the coup will fail because the military tried to have it be as unbloody as possible . .
aside from some policemen and military people who were fighting, are there actually any news about non combattants being killed in this? no press people, no government people, no administrative people, no religious hardliners/otherwise conservatives . . no nothing?
for fucks sake, erdogan was in a plane. they had jetfighters. if they had shot that plane down that would have ended some problems then and there <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Seems the air force was on the side of the state all game, and happily shot down the helicopters on the side of the coup, and once that happened they sort of packed it in and surrendered to local police. Plus a hundred dead folk, because shooting, but not thousands because they didn't shoot the unarmed crowds who got in their way.

Like most secret plots they tend to not go very well once they get started.

Sad thing, he'll probably win the next election too now. But at least it'll mean they get to stick with democracy and it'll eventually turn around for them, probably.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

sad that the wrong side won because the right side was too "good is stupid"
the one positive thing about the swift end of this is the fact that it can not be drawn out any further and become a new kind of vietnam with the west fighting the russians on our doorstep there <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://www.keysniffer.net/
Oh. Oh dear.
This might be the biggest Security Risk yet.
According to Crypto Scientists, Millions of wireless(not bluetooth) Keyboards have trivial to bypass encryption on their proprietary wifi implementation.
So everything typed on them, can wirelessly and remotely be grabbed as plain text.
Also, you can insert your own datastream into it and make it look like it came from the keyboard . .
And those are only tested ones by the following manufacturers:
Anker, EagleTec, General Electric, Hewlett-Packard, Insignia, Kensington, Radio Shack und Toshiba.
Doesn't look like a quick and easy fix is on the horizon either.
Only Kensington has actually responded to this when they were contacted by the scientists. Kensington plans to implement a Firmware Update that will make the wifi 128 Bit AES Encrypted, which is, at least, a little bit better. But even they do not say wether or not that will be aplicable to already in use devices or only on new devices as factory standard . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Moral of the story: don't use a wireless keyboard you goober.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i don't.
not for that reason, but simply because cables usually just are better.
but this is a security risk on a global scale. we are talking millions of affected devices here basically.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

erik
King

Post by erik »

I have an oldish MacBook with a dead keyboard that I'm debating whether i want to replace the keyboard or continue to use a usb and wireless was option 3.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

if you are still lugging it around:
replace built in keyboard.
if you are only using it stationary at home on a desk:
use USB cable keyboard.
if you are using it as your home media centre pc and want to control it from further away, no strings attached?
after this, go for a blu-tooth keyboard. won't even need the receiver, because the macbook should have bluetooth built into it.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

erik
King

Post by erik »

I haven't decided on its final fate. so Tis still in limbo
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I use a wireless usb keyboard at home, since I just got tired of the cords under my feet. How great is the risk that someone could intercept the signal from the street?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Have you made enemies?
Are you a POI?
LEAs interested in your activities?
How far is the street from your keyboard/receiver?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Not that I expect to go to that kind of trouble.
No.
Not to my knowledge.
Maybe ~30 ft? More?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Risk low i'd guess.
If anything, maybe a script kiddie or some other wannabe.
Otherwise, you are just not an efficient enough target to warrant the effort of actually being there.
This could change if the criminals start roaming street gangs of wifi tappers to try and get as many logins as possible for use/sale.
Which would necessiate people actually loitering around or making listening posts / stations to catch the needed data traffic.

Apartment complexes are probably more at rist than single houses with their own front yard simnply because it is easier to inconspiciously go around them than a privately owned home. And because there are more potential sources in closer proximity as well.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: