The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Running [s]Started in[/s] a Red Hand of Doom campaign [lvl6]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Running [s]Started in[/s] a Red Hand of Doom campaign [lvl6] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll be refereeing this now; after talking with the existing MC (who really doesn't want to run)

So, a friend of mine decided to run a [Tome] version of RHoD, with Elite Array, DM-generated characters.

Right now; the campaign starts with the PCs being roaming band of adventurers on the make. Their spiritual leader (my PC), has recently received a vision from their patron about a vault full of magic items. Also, (now conformed) we've heard reports about an armed force of brigands in the area that threatens trade in the region; and are convinced we can draft them into our army (the old, dark ages classification of 7+ men; being the legal threshold of what a dark ages village should be expected to confront without their feudal lord's assistance).

As I don't have the character sheets myself, the PCs as best as I can recall are:

Deep Halfing Rogue
Commander of the Left Flank (Jade Dragon banner)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Orc Barbarian
Commander of the Right Flank (Diamond Tiger banner )

Grey Elf Illusionist
Commander of the Vangaurd (Topaz Snaket banner)

Human Bard;
Commander of the Main force (Ruby Phoenix banner)

Deep Dwarf "Warlock"
Commander of the Rear (Hematite Turtle banner)

Aasiamar Cleric of Mask/Masque
Scion of the Ancient Emipre (Executioner's Axe, Gilded standard

-------------------
Actual campaign thus far:

We've done the first encounter; and thoroughly crushed it. The Deep Dwarf warlock spotted the initial ambush at the start of RHoD; and we set up a counter ambush. The Warlock's Invisible-on-Stone Dretch, the Rogue, Bard, and Barbarian advanced along the side closest to the "house" on the starting map (we didn't actually consider the house in the plan, but this is what we would have done if we had as well). Meanwhile; the Wizard, Warlock, and my Cleric continued along with the parties cart and mules; coming to a pause just before the ambush point. At which point the Warlock's Dretch telepathically commnicates the "Go!" term for this attack. During our party's surprise round two casters sink some crossbow bolts into the closest hob that the rest of the party isn't near; the warlock vaporizes the second one; and the other three hobgoblins get attacked from all angles by the Dretch, Rogue and Bard who grants them +3d6 SA dice. The Barbarian was slightly further back to keep the odds of success higher; and whirlwinded through the three Hobs they were attacking (triggering their Rage on the first; gibbing the second, and badly hurting the last one. This pulled attention away from the Bard and Rogue, but that hardly mattered.

At the end of that surprise round, the PCs killed 4/6 hobgoblins; and the last two surrendered when the Bard made an oratory check to give up and join the imperial army; or be punished for their hand in the red doom.

Then came the next group of six hobs, two hellhounds, and two classed Hobs (knight (4) cleric (3)). The hell hounds scented the invisa-dretch and tried to play "fry the demon"; but did 1 pt of damage after Fire resistance. The armoured classed Hob issued a Knight challenge to the barbarian (and ate a lot of damage for it). The Wizard cast Glitterdust. I failed to Blind the Caster Hob; but they got panicked by the Warlock (who dealt 13 damage to themselves for the effect); and was able to Hold Person them with their lowered saving throws. The barbarian whirlwinded through the Knight hob, and cut down the cleric hob.

We Greyhawked the bodies (7x [+1 str] comp. longbows; longswords, chain shirts, hvy metal shields, arrows; 2x Detect Magic Short Swords; Heavy Armour of Light). Performed a funeral ritual over the now buried dead, to show our respect for the fallen soliders. However we didn't bury the commander NPCs, as we plan on "punishing them beyond death" for their crimes of leading their soldiers poorly, and wanting to waste their soldiers lives fighting the advance agents of such an obviously superior army.

I haven't actually read the adventure; but I'm thinking that more "kill the commanders" type goals will be effective; as could Charming them; over doing as much actual fighting as we've done so far.

Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[Update]
I'm now running this; going to try to use the most ... "up to date" [Tome] content available. I'll be using pretty much anything in the repository (especially including Kaelik's [Tome] Errata b/c writing remotely passable [Tome] stuff is hard enough; and the issues that [Tome] leaves glare more around a decade of existence); although I'm banning any of my own classes/PrCs that aren't finished. As well as using Red Rob's Simplified Armour, Magic Item, & Magic Item Acquisition, Rules. Finally, I'm eager to see how Kaelik's skill groups system works; the idea has a lot of merit, and it's tighter groups are something I've been wanting to use to group After Sundown's "Active" and "Background" skills (30 broad background types seems fine

Right now things I need to do next are:

-recieve the character sheets at my After Sundown game tomorrow
-use Kaelik's skill groups on the character sheets
-apply Red Robs magic items rules
-see if any of Kaelik's Errata applies

The next session might not be until after Easter; or earlier if I can manage to get people together via skype.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Second Session Sunday May 10-ish 2016

So, the second and third sessions have come and gone; and the Players have made a lot of progress in the first "day" of the campain.

10:00~ Clean up after ending roadblock

-Loot the dead Hob commanders (haul their bodies)
-

12:00~ Arrive at the outskirts of Drellin's Ferry

-PCs leave their laden wagon, Hellhounds, Invisa-Dretch, and Hobgoblins

3rd Session

Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Making a list of Outsiders and Monsters that would fit in with the Mask-themed party

Spellshadow
http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/block/Spellshadow

Shadow Eft
[Stats]
http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/block/Shadow_Eft
[Image]
https://theshadowcitadel.wikispaces.com/Shadow+Efts

More RHoD campaign resources:
http://fallschaden.blogspot.ca/p/red-hand-of-doom.html
[HD Hand drawn (Tolkienesque style map of Elsir Vale]
http://abload.de/img/elsir-vale-handdrawnmpoq1.jpg
[HD Player's mam of Elsir Vale]
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IX-bK6EFz3o/VKQnCPVIjtI/AAAAAAAAAk8/uJWEB0EpU28/s1600/elsir-vale-players-velrxrb.jpg

[HD Witchwood map; where the PCs are currently {i.e. Vraath Keep}]

http://abload.de/img/elsir-vale-witchwoodowsxl.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: